SilverPhoenix

Flight Training for PPC in Australia

SilverPhoenix

Hello, Im a looking for information on flight schools for group D (RA-Aus)? I heard a rumor there was 6 or so CFIs in australia, what are my options?

Tandelo

Depends where you are based. NSW, QLD, Vic, SA and WA all covered.

SilverPhoenix

Thanks tandelo, I see aerochute in every Google search but they don't train on any other machine but thier own. I'm not too geographically locked so I'm keen to hear about as many as possible.

The ra-aus has a list of flight school but only list aerochute for ppc schools

Tandelo

Yes, this is why I responded so quickly to your post - there will be an avalanche of Aerochute bashing appearing soon, unless the usual suspects have been banned from this forum.

You could try Hutcho at About Us who trains from Cowra in NSW. However, I think he will only train on Aerochute, as they are certified for training and have dual controls, etc. I am not sure of any other machines that are, or who have instructors in Australia. If you have a non-Aerochute machine, you would possibly only need to use the Aerochute till you get to solo and then you could fly your own?? Not sure - best bet is to call them. You could also try Ed Herring in SA who may train on other machines.

I should point out that I learnt to drive in a Toyota Corona, but I don't drive one now. So I guess if you learn on an Aerochute, it doesn't mean you cant fly anything else.

SilverPhoenix

That is a very good point about the learning to drive, I'll call up and see cheers

Tandelo

The only real difference is between foot steering (mainly US type machines) and hand steering. I would certainly call aerochute, Ed Herring and Hutcho and see what the cost will be, as I think there is a bit of a difference.

GoFly

Here's that RAA list for you: VIC - RAAus

DingerPPC

I learnt with Greame Hutchinson at Cowra he has a great set up there with accomodation ect. he doesnt give a rats what you fly he will teach you .There are a couple of instructors in Qld as well but give Hutcho a call on 0414862397 he will be able to give you a list of instructors as will RAAus.

fred cenko

None up here in Qld as I know.There was a Mal Christie north of Brisbane in the Caboolture area,but I think he has packed up and gone I tried to do call him for a BFR,but no answers or returned calls.I have heard nothing but good reports ,stories about Hutcho,even had a chat with him and was really helpful ,give him a go for sure.

DingerPPC

Theres a bloke in Toowoomba Im sure but cant think of his name .

bankotom

Google "The Pico Club"

DingerPPC

Pico club are PPG Im pretty sure.

WayneL

Matt Fox @ Tribal Flight Toowoomba..

fred cenko

Just on the record if any PPC flyers are having a hard time trying to fit in a BFR with a PPC instructor,you can also book

one in with your local fixed wing flying instructor,and they can legally sign you off for a another 2 years.

hihosland
The only real difference is between foot steering (mainly US type machines) and hand steering.

The other difference is that some of the US machines have John Dere style throttle ie "pull to go"

That particular confusion resulted in me plowing a US machine into the corn instead of a go-around

nashy

I have owned and flown the Aerochute, and flown the steel breeze, and currently own a Summit. my advise would be have a look at them all before you make your mind up.

Aerochute are the most common machine out there however have a look at the others and you will see that they are totally different. Aerochute training is probably the most expensive, talk to Rob degroot and see what he can do for you.

As for the cost of machines, All of them are similar costs to buy new but there are a lot of Aerochutes on the second hand market. just be aware that the 503 motor is no longer made and any other replacement motors are not permitted to be used on these models.