Airvan gets bogged on Fraser Is beach

Love the quote 

The tourist company's owner said their planes became bogged as many as three times a week and the incident would be blown out of proportion by "drunken fishermen" posting photos online.

Mr Geltch said the images and varying reports circulating on social media were "a pain in the arse".

"Unfortunately, there are a lot of drunken fishermen along the island at the moment and a thousand photos will be posted online and I'm going to have the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and Australian Transport Safety Bureau ringing me," he said.

I considered posting this story under the title "Fraser Islands plane crash caused by drunk fisherman!"

The statement about the frequency of sand bogging is going to do nothing to improve the operators insurance premiums.

• Agree 1

I considered posting this story under the title "Fraser Islands plane crash caused by drunk fisherman!"

The statement about the frequency of sand bogging is going to do nothing to improve the operators insurance premiums.

Denied insurance means no premiums at all. Who would provide cover for that? 

Good Grief! Imagine the profit insurance companies would get if they upped the premiums for 4x4 vehicles to cover the risk of getting bogged!

I guess this means CASA will now be looking to further extensive pilot training, and to modify Form 61-2AE, with a new, additional endorsement rating? - "Soft Sandy Beaches Rating".  :cheezy grin:

This will naturally result in a massive reduction in aircraft losses to the ocean, and improve aviation safety, to unheard-of levels.  :cheezy grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Actually, he bogged it whilst taxying to the take-off point. Clearly a black mark against the operators of the airstrip - failing to mark unserviceable areas.

We were at our Eurong landing strip and two planes were taxiing in company with one other. "The first plane stopped to turn and get into take-off position, the second went to the bottom of the beach to turn around and come up behind the other.

And I won't try to say the name of the strip. There's too many of you who would jump in to correct my pronunciation.

• Like 1

Wouldn't like to be servicing those planes wheels and brakes or even the rest of it after a while. . Nev

The planes get a good hose down at the end of the day.  I have seen the Air Fraser GA8’s up close and it must be a full time job keeping them serviceable, given the harsh environment they operate in.

Wonder if it was the same aircraft that lost a wheel a few years back?

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1287920/ae2009045.pdf

Unless a plane is corrosion proofed at the time of it's construction, you are fighting a losing battle with it near salt water. I worked on army DUCKS that were steel and that was challenging enough.. Salt is as bad as acid. Nev

• 3 months later...

Why blame the fishing folk, surely aircraft HAVE  to give way to ANYTHING on their runway.

Drunken pax on commercial airports running after their plane, waving their tickets is not unknown.

spacesailor