How many Hours did it take you to complete your RPL?

I did my first flights and training back in the mid 1980's all in gliders. I did 80 hrs....best training ever!!!...I use rudder all the time. stall,spins and spiral dives all done way back then. I can not recommend gliding as a skills developer and enhancer highly enough.

• Like 1

To answer your question, stalls scare the s--- out of me. I am worried that if I had to correct one in real life that I would freeze - which means that it is a bit tricky practicing them on my own! I am perfectly aware that they are safe. I might try correcting them by easing the control column forward without worrying about using the rudder to keep the wings level. That might stop me worrying that if I don't keep the wings level I will spin. And die. Frozen. 

A few points in response:

• I used to be scared of stalls when I was learning to fly. I know quite a few instructors who are scared of them. So your situation is quite common and there is a cure as Kyle suggested.

• "they are safe" - well, too many of my friends and acquaintances have been killed as a result of a stall, so nope, not necessarily.

• "using the rudder to keep the wings level" - that can be very dangerous so your "easing the control column forward without worrying about using the rudder to keep the wings level" is very much safer.

• "worrying that if I don't keep the wings level I will spin" - keeping the wings level has diddly squat to do whether you spin or not.

• "And die." Potentially, if you do the wrong thing and that seems likely from your post.

• I recommend that you now read https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/06_afh_ch4.pdf

A few points in response:

• I used to be scared of stalls when I was learning to fly. I know quite a few instructors who are scared of them. So your situation is quite common and there is a cure as Kyle suggested.

• "they are safe" - well, too many of my friends and acquaintances have been killed as a result of a stall, so nope, not necessarily.

• "using the rudder to keep the wings level" - that can be very dangerous so your "easing the control column forward without worrying about using the rudder to keep the wings level" is very much safer.

• "worrying that if I don't keep the wings level I will spin" - keeping the wings level has diddly squat to do whether you spin or not.

• "And die." Potentially, if you do the wrong thing and that seems likely from your post.

• I recommend that you now read https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/06_afh_ch4.pdf

Thank you for your reply! Ain’t no doubt about it, the FAA says to lower the nose first, and to later on level the wings with coordinated ailerons and rudder! 

What is is that makes keeping the wings level with the rudder (in a stall) dangerous?

RUDDER YAW

If rudder is added to level wings at stall(ish) speed, the wing inside the ark from rudder application will lesson the speed of that wing,

while the opposite wing(outside that same ark) , will gain speed, hence more lift,

One wing with greater lift than the other will roll aircraft over. contributing a spin.

Hope I got it right.

spacesailor

What is is that makes keeping the wings level with the rudder (in a stall) dangerous?

When people ask me that I generally get them (in an aeroplane) to do a stall in a turn and then recover. I don’t offer any advice as anyone who has learnt to fly or done a flight review in recent years per CAsA’s Part 61 should be competent at them.

10 hours ago, djpacro said:

When people ask me that I generally get them (in an aeroplane) to do a stall in a turn and then recover. I don’t offer any advice as anyone who has learnt to fly or done a flight review in recent years per CAsA’s Part 61 should be competent at them.

I don't get it. If you are in a coordinated turn and you stall, you unstall by releasing the back pressure. What has that got to do with keeping the wings level when you are flying straight ahead and stall. I'm not saying that keeping the wings level with the rudder isn't dangerous, I just don't know why from this. 

RUDDER YAW

If rudder is added to level wings at stall(ish) speed, the wing inside the ark from rudder application will lesson the speed of that wing,

while the opposite wing(outside that same ark) , will gain speed, hence more lift,

One wing with greater lift than the other will roll aircraft over. contributing a spin.

Hope I got it right.

spacesailor

I was talking about when the rudder is added when the wings are not level to begin with. 

I don't get it. If you are in a coordinated turn and you stall, you unstall by releasing the back pressure. What has that got to do with keeping the wings level when you are flying straight ahead and stall. I'm not saying that keeping the wings level with the rudder isn't dangerous, I just don't know why from this. 

Good start!

I didn't see your qualifying statement about "flying straight ahead" and stall. Anyway, my comment is pretty much the same. The objective with the use of rudder in a stall is NOT to keep the wings level, particularly not to return the wings to level after an entry to an incipient spin.

Good start!

I didn't see your qualifying statement about "flying straight ahead" and stall. Anyway, my comment is pretty much the same. The objective with the use of rudder in a stall is NOT to keep the wings level, particularly not to return the wings to level after an entry to an incipient spin.

My bad!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, newbie here. I'm in my early 50's and want to eventually attain my PPL. No interest in CPL. I'd like to train out of Bankstown as it is closest training facility to me plus I really want to experience tower procedures, controlled airspace etc. My question is whether I should be looking at RPC - looks like a few schools at Bankstown offer this or RPL? I understand that Bankstown is quite expensive with fees etc but i'm willing to wear this. I'm a little confused as a commercial pilot who is employed at a company at Bankstown recently told me that by the time you do your RPC and then convert to further training on a VH aircraft for RPL equals about the same as just starting out on RPL. Has anyone gone through this in particular at Bankstown? Thanks so much...

To answer your question, stalls scare the s--- out of me. I am worried that if I had to correct one in real life that I would freeze - which means that it is a bit tricky practicing them on my own! I am perfectly aware that they are safe. I might try correcting them by easing the control column forward without worrying about using the rudder to keep the wings level. That might stop me worrying that if I don't keep the wings level I will spin. And die. Frozen. 

Consider some gliding time at Caboolture,  even if it just as a passenger and experience the spins. Just maybe ask then to have it enter a spin and early recovery. Will add well to your experience and should quell some concern. I say try it as soon as you can. Cheers