Hi from French Island

Mike Gearon

If I was building a strip, researching prevailing winds would be important. As well as determining the length required for the type of aircraft I wanted to land there.

It's no good building a "convenient" strip which is unusable.

I’m finding it tough. I google earth then check paddocks each day. There is drainage and changing slope along with trees. I’m 98% sure this is the solution. pic below. Green is where I remove a small amount of 15’/ 5m tall trees at fence lines. That’ll equal some 50m (roughly) extra runway on approach. I think the LSA category I’ve flown in all take off easily and the 400m each direction won’t be a problem for departure. Approach (for me at least) I’d probably want a wingspan height  over the 1m fence lines and allow a long float without undue concern. I was absolutely amazed when my A380 LAX  into Melbourne didn’t flare a few weeks back and we floated just like the little planes I’ve flown. We touched then popped up and floated. We did a touch and go in an A380. 2nd time was well flared.

I haven’t been able to take lessons at Tyabb due to wind. If by Tuesday I have the fence cut and cleared in each direction and can slash and level then drive without too much bounce I’ll see if instructor agrees to land the Foxbat. Might be able to sort GoPro footage.

CB5BB987-7C40-499B-A0AA-E3618217901F.jpeg.bbf4dcae5eab2603d69f128db08758ec.jpeg

A strip( Grass ) with a smaller? "all over" option is the best, or a couple of strips. It's a fairly windy area. If you use it a lot it's hard to maintain the grass on the heavier trafficked areas.. Nev

A strip( Grass ) with a smaller? "all over" option is the best, or a couple of strips. It's a fairly windy area. If you use it a lot it's hard to maintain the grass on the heavier trafficked areas.. Nev

I’m learning by error followed by more.

Yesterday’s didn’t work. At 90km in Ute there are undulations that would stress an undercarriage. I can see why tail draggers are the go. They’d ride them out or glide over the lows where you’d be continually stressed over a nose wheel staying light to the ground. This is my hay paddock so I’ll want to quit moving strips at some point.

E48B4D1D-D8DC-459D-9B6F-0939F2DD2370.thumb.jpeg.a4f06d98dba9db691e0143f59a7470a2.jpeg

C01239B0-5B4B-4E83-A251-8FB7629C2342.thumb.jpeg.a1421aa5260c0bbc5f87f70d1e127314.jpeg

Aerial yesterday from Foxbat. The angle one has problems with undulations and each has a down slope last 200m of 500m total heading west. Possibly need air brakes at 300m if not slow enough to stay on ground. It’s a work in progress.

B687ACC8-4F93-4A96-9024-71EABF29D61D.thumb.jpeg.4f081526681af4dac5dcf5c62dd7c3b0.jpeg

Rough strips used to bounce Austers into the air prematurely so the tailwheel is not the complete answer. The suitability of  the runway surface used to be gauged by whether a car could be driven on it at moderate speed without undue discomfort. That's the official statement, so you don't need a bowling green (in theory). Soft when wet areas may be a problem depending on the soil, making the aerodrome U/S . Nev

• 1 year later...

My first landing French Island. 

Happy to have visitors for a cup of tea and scones in the workshop/ hanger once I've sorted. Not yet! Going to get a road grader in to smooth better  and remove a bit more fencing either side of strip. It goes up and downhill so an interesting challenge. Will remove more trees for next landing and that'll allow a much lower approach.

https://youtu.be/QRWdfhP7fbM

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see so many aircraft over the strip. Will post a fly in thread when I'm confident the road grader has it nicely flattened and the Cape Barren geese have settled down to their pair per area. They flock for a while then seem to spread out. Yes, scones. My wife was just telling me how she will sort. I told her my English grandmother was always making them and I have it sorted... We will see. Slow combustion heater to cook so definitely when it cools down and prior to too wet to land. 

Pic this morning. I've moved it a bit based on the first landing. Trees gone and a realignment. Need to disc it thoroughly first so the road grader doesn't have to deal with clumped grass. I've a 5 ton road roller on permanent loan and that makes the difference. 

Suspect it's 200m and a few degrees up slope then same with down slope south. There's another 50m at North end to fence and 50m south where it drops away quickly. 500m sort of as a total then Westernport bay one way and grass paddock the other. I've had the ute up to 110k south and achieved a slight lift off. 

North, south and breakfast reading... VFRG is something I'll have to make peace with. Really sorted my FAA prior to check ride and now it's all a little different. 

Stick and rudder is written how I want to read. It's touch and feel of all those bits around us and the last bit I read before flying on Thursday was the aircraft fly in spite of us and not because of us. I managed to reinforce this by bringing in a flapless landing with everything perfect and nose held just right then dropped the right wing and right wheel on the runway. I am fairly certain this is the GA to LSA difference. The light aircraft aren't tolerant of control movements that are not precise. Particularly as happened when the aircraft was just settling down to gently touch the runaway and I messed with its ability to fly that last second or two... 

I'm around 110 hours now and only just starting to gain the confidence I had in USA in Cessna at 70 or 80 hours. Also reading The Killing Zone. 50 to 350 hours as the ones that are most dangerous. Happy to have had a bunch of different instructors and aircraft the last few months. Dashed my confidence for a while and just getting on top of it and hope to come out the other side a better pilot.  Also, learner more about self assessment. Was driving to lesson and on phone regularly with business commitments. Would not have flown solo and figured the instructor was backup if it wasn't going well. It didn't. I've learned. If you're driving to the airport and can't easily run the whole thing in your head including radio calls, emergency procedures and unexpected traffic movements in pattern don't fly. Don't conduct business or emotional stuff on the way to the airport.

Anyway, I hadn't posted here's for a while as I got my head together. At the moment ok I think about if flying and that's reflecting in a few posts here lately. Guess I'm a fairly extroverted introvert and don't mind sharing. Reward is meeting new friends and learning. Downside is potential criticism etc. I figure it's worth the risk.

Talking risk I'll have to get legal advice on own runway and people landing. We will start bnb style accomodation soon. Fly in accomodation could be fun. It's certainly something I'd like to do once my Australian flying is sorted. 

Scones... 

20210221_073633.jpg

20210221_073642.jpg

20210221_073654.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Mike,

great to hear of your progress on both the flying and the strip.

We were just around the corner when we saw a plane take off from what must be your place the other week. I was wondering where the airstrip was, as it's not showing up on google maps yet.

We sail out of Rhyll (my other hobby) so visiting French Island is always nice.

Ross

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 1:02 PM, RossK said:

Hi Mike,

great to hear of your progress on both the flying and the strip.

We were just around the corner when we saw a plane take off from what must be your place the other week. I was wondering where the airstrip was, as it's not showing up on google maps yet.

We sail out of Rhyll (my other hobby) so visiting French Island is always nice.

Ross

That would have been the Foxbat or perhaps The Husky. Both are yellow ....Pic here with property circled.  Waiting on the road grader to come in and really level before rolling. Tractor grader did okay but worth doing it right before grass grows again. Being French Island there is just the one road grader and it’ll happen next few days, weeks or months and I can’t hurry it. I’ve tried. I’ll post here when we look suitable for landings and I’ll test land prior.

On that subject my flying is finally going really well. Flew 3 solo landings yesterday that were near perfect. One slight stumble on radio call first line up because USA calls are a little different. I can see the benefits of the Oz calls and mostly have it sorted now. 

Focus... just flying the one aircraft out of Tyabb rather than mixing aircraft and airports and focus with business activity settling down. Now with good experience of Tyabb and Tooradin I’d not say either has better instructors or aircraft. Both very good. Difference for me finally being the Foxbat is close in flying to the Nynja. difference also in just the one LSA aircraft at Tyabb and 3 or 4 at Tooradin.

Flying yesterday in Foxbat finally felt like it had in the Cessna 172 in USA over a year ago. Felt competent, ahead of the aircraft and able to deal with the unexpected in a calm manner. Talking calm, Special thanks to DB. 

Seems to be a covid game changer going on. Return to Taiwan in early May is 5 days home quarantine. USA opening up and I hope to visit the Quicksilver and the airbike now in storage in Seattle then on to Nebraska in August or after vax in Taiwan. Can’t work out what to do with these aircraft yet. Leaning toward selling QS on and bringing the airbike to Oz. Pat says airbike is a load of fun. 

Might even be able to get back to that fun little airport in the Philippines for weekend breaks from Taiwan. 

155BA1B2-E0AB-4681-B035-F431E9921EBA.jpeg

09B845AC-E880-4348-B348-7DA57075CCB7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cross country today. Little different to USA. I’m adapting. 

thanks to Student Pilot. I guess it’s the guy who posts on here. Excellent 1 hour youtube He put up some 3 years ago. Reinforced a few things I brought in. Overall I’ll give myself 9.5 out of 10 if I ignore the off track Drouin to Tooradin. Quite enjoy attempting navigation without the IPad. It sat under the seat 

38DC2867-D2B8-4C5D-9210-1447A452A493.png

Edited by Mike Gearon

On 07/02/2021 at 7:55 AM, Mike Gearon said:

My first landing French Island. 

Happy to have visitors for a cup of tea and scones in the workshop/ hanger once I've sorted. Not yet! Going to get a road grader in to smooth better  and remove a bit more fencing either side of strip. It goes up and downhill so an interesting challenge. Will remove more trees for next landing and that'll allow a much lower approach.

https://youtu.be/QRWdfhP7fbM

What’s the black box to the left of the panel. My Foxbat has the same space and Im wondering what to fill it with

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 4:53 PM, APenNameAndThatA said:

What’s the black box to the left of the panel. My Foxbat has the same space and Im wondering what to fill it with

Black box is apparently Collision avoidance or terrain avoidance. 

• 6 months later...

I’m looking for a ride…. Sydney to Inverell Monday afternoon November 1s 2021. subject to weather. Half fuel and I’ll pay accomodation and food as required. So, I’m probably hiring a car or waiting for Tuesday regional flight, just thought I’d check here if anyone wants an adventure flight! It’s to pick up the sky ranger.

I’m on first Qantas arrival Monday morning quarantine free. 3 shots vax and  neg COVID test so all good there. 

A few pics here of USA. Stuck once again after 11 months stuck in Asia last year. Good part was flying. From 130 hours and still slightly clueless I’ll admit to 205 hours with tail endorsement, float and glider ratings. Started IFR and will finish next year. Definitely understand why your insurance is cheaper with IFR. Huge saturation workload. Under foggles, holding a heading and elevation on timed courses while getting weather and ATC clearance is really f$&#ng hard. However, like tail endorsement to tricycle landings it makes normal VFR radio calls seem stress less.

Pics here,

FLOATS

Moose Pass Alaska for floats. Combined mountain flying and lakes. Bucket list experience. Extraordinary!

GLIDERS

. Estralla air park south of Phoenix.  These locations are the premier training spots. Moose pass as example turns out 70 to 100 rated pilots each year. Estralla has daily flights year around and a really professional approach.

MULTI

Flew with George OSH Kosh to various states and Phoenix to Nebraska. Never thought I’d want multi. It isn’t a big deal to fly compared to single  unless you lose an engine. George is a multi and tail CFI.

IFR…To be continued.

TAIL WHEEL MOTOR GLIDER

. Pipistrel Sinus.

picked this up in Nebraska and flew back to Phoenix. 2003 with 5 y.o. 912. 80hp and I see why they didn’t put the 100hp in. 1000ft climb and easy to exceed 120kn VNE if not paying attention. Getting Dynon 10” DXF upgrade while I’m in Oz.

24DD81F3-2775-47BA-BCA0-EB8835ED0B5C.png

871D7724-4833-4FB9-AE57-60FE01D92CE5.png

7753053A-B91E-45E2-9EF7-EA0491F1982E.png

2CED2B79-C084-4206-965A-B242BE5A9A0B.png

87AF99C6-102E-4E5F-861E-27A94B4B9BF0.png

62FAB55E-3D29-4A84-8AA1-4D89C04C3868.png

FA79801C-B096-4B08-B170-AA24804DB7B7.png

8C5950B6-3438-4DF9-8E6B-4F39FAF2F511.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just started “commuting” French Island to Tooradin or Tyabb. Tractor parts emergency the other day and worked out great to go to Tooradin and hitch a ride to Pakenham (thanks Glenn!) 

I was surprised at my own performance on suddenly deciding to try an engine out at the coast….. made mistakes. 

1. Changed the landing spot.

2. After changing the landing spot I was aware a fence might be difficult to get over and was surprised at the urge to pull up even though I had the throttle right there and it was simulated!

Really surprised! It was only a year ago I did the RAA Oz checkride and managed it really well. Flaps full and landing in mangroves into wind. 

note… my runway is a mowed 10ft wide strip x 500m. Narrow because I’m conserving for hay to bale next week and narrow because I was landing gliders on 10ft wide runways and what would have seemed crazy narrow a while back looks fine now. I’m using the north 200m to land and it’s tough on the nose wheel. I hold it off as long as possible and fairly certain the Foxbat had more elevator authority at low speed. It’ll be improved after hay baled and excavator dump truck and road grader with luck. Couldn’t get the guy with road grader earlier this year and being French island there is only the guy! 

537FAF2A-18F0-4633-AB1D-909878AB7E85.jpeg

08735411-2AB4-473C-AA00-6C9CA740C080.jpeg

F837F0AA-8E2B-4666-8B4E-10238FACF5F9.jpeg

Edited by Mike Gearon
Pic change
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will be great to have a strip in this area, Phillip island now helo’s only and Tyabb and Tooradin bit far out. I would love to land in sometime from Yarram! Great for a day visit to Cowes or San Reno, if the ferry is running?

Yes, contact me prior. We have cattle on runway now as example. My cattle are very quiet and I take off and land with them around. Well, not in front of me! They don’t even get out of the way on taxi until the chopping device is getting very close. I’d move cattle out for other pilots. I’ll make up an indemnity form to be agreed to. Also, common sense. Runway of some 600m. Take off or landing needs to be sorted by the workshop/ halfway point. The uphill and downhill are a challenge. Until the road grader comes in the current undulations make you appreciate smooth runways that don’t want to relaunch your nice landing. 

I have a 15kn wind sock to put up shortly. It’ll go on the wind turbine tower that’s held and launched/ broken  2 crap chinese turbines into strong winds.

Yeah, ferry runs to a schedule. Google French island ferry. Some video here of recent landings. The Black Shape you see here is for sale. http://plaaviation.com.au/

It is very cool. Retractable gear, 140kn cruise and a cool sounding exhaust. Same 912 I have and just way better exhaust note!

Videos…. My typical landing. (Narrative was for Facebook not for pilot viewing! ) I was surprised to find the cattle pretty much ignore the aircraft including not getting out of the way unless I’m taxiing directly at them. I’ve trained them to be calm and quiet. Nobody herds them. They are called to change paddock and never chased. They are very quietly handled in the yards. So, it’ll be farm by farm and my cattle aren’t “typical”

Videos… The Blackshape came in and took off with that small front wheel and did surprisingly well. I’ve since filled in all the little cow hoof holes that shake the aircraft. No grader coming in this year so while the runway is much smoother it’s a challenge to deal with the up and downhill and the gentle rises and falls on both uphill and downhill.

. I’m learning… newest was to remember to stop holding the nose wheel off if carrying speed at the turn to downhill. The aircraft will want to fly again if carrying any speed. So, stop holding nose off at apex then gently back on the stick as the downhill run settles and slows.

C0D4C78A-BE92-41A3-B245-D5BEE08BFD8B.jpeg

Edited by Mike Gearon

Yeah, the RV6 will make short work of the 300 or so NM. The blackshape landed with that tiny nose wheel and handled the cow hoof impressions okay. I’ve since filled them in and rolled. My larger wheels were doing okay and I look forward to next smoother departure and landing. Notes for landing… You’re welcome to visit anytime. PM or phone 0488585980. Fly in. Yes, I’m thinking local guys first from Tooradin and Tyabb then we expand.

1. Don’t fly over the houses to east and west (please) 
2. Left pattern for both 02 and 20. I tend to let Tyabb know on 128.00 and Tooradin on 124.2 when I’m arriving or departing just in case. Both have flight schools conducting air work over French Island and it’s an overfly for Gippsland traffic likely to monitor these 2 frequencies on the way through.
3. Suggest using the  workshop/ hangar as abort point for take offs and landings subject of course to all the flying variables. I’m in the air quickly so tend to just come out of the hangar, turn left and take off. 

4. Wind sock. I have a nice 15kn orange windsock. Just have to frame it and mount midfield. Soon…

5. 20 most likely due to prevailing south westerlies. I tend to do a straight in coming from Tooradin. 
02 is in a lot of ways easier. No obstructions comin in off the bay. 

02 is I’m thinking preferable into a light tail wind with no obstruction on approach from the bay and some 300m uphill then 250m downhill to sort it completely out of power on for a go round.

It is unfortunately undulating. Uphill and downhill with undulations. Makes it interesting 🤔 I only just found out the grader driver blacklisted me and never intended to grade it back when I had it finely tilled and ready in March. I’d practically beg on the phone and had no idea I’d been “disrespectful” Hazards of a monopoly on a small island. I can bring in a family owned land grader with GEARON written on the side. It’d be tempting except for the cost of float and barge then tempting again when I drove past the other grader. I’ll try begging again first. Happy to debase myself to save some money and I actually like the guy! The island is fun with a mixed community and loads of bnb options,  a winery, a wedding reception place that’s really well done (Mandalay Park) and a quirky general store,

Will be happy to share it with fellow pilots. We have a new one on the island as if a few months back and new runway in the works. He hasn’t annoyed the grader driver so we can expect a smoother runway 😊 

A9A9D8BF-73C5-43A5-9076-0C0A8CD39A9F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 20/12/2021 at 6:44 PM, Thruster88 said:

Nice looking strip Mike. I think my RV6a would have no trouble with it. When is the rec flyers flyin? 😎

Yes, would be great for a Vic Rec fly in! Hmmm, don’t fly over the houses you say, yes this time the houses were there first I guess, not like the Phil Island airfield which is now choppers only, I bet the “houses” shut it down, despite coming long after the airfield! I can imagine the island social politics must be a minefield! Like living in your own episode of Poldark! But, enjoy your own field, attached is a pick with the following conditions:

1. an aviation tragic

2. plane kept at an airfield 70ks away

3. Christmas leave

4. Needs must!

BF68B0FE-9EBF-4AA3-8242-8DDB029E649A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1