Hi from French Island

Mike Gearon

On 5/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, Blueadventures said:

Nice Mike

You should consider a thread on the build and start with a duplicate of this post.  Enjoy and look forward to the progress.  Cheers.

Thanks. I have thought of this. I see on the forum Mark will start his S21 when current project complete. I wish he was ahead. He’s quite comprehensive and we reviewed his S21 unpack method when doing our own. Helpful!

There are I believe 20 plus S21 kits in Australia and at least a few flying. I suspect most of the post activity is taking place on Facebook Rans forums Australia and USA. I’ll look into doing both here and the book. 😀 

• 2 months later...

IFR in actual IFR condition today. Wish I was even 3 years younger. It really is bloody hard. 340 flying hours snd 25 IFR and it’s slowly coming together.

Course shows the DME arc for a while until clouds stopped our circle. Twist amd turn 10 degrees on VOR and 10 degrees on heading while maintimg distance from VOR

52F2B339-305D-4E4A-A413-A36278077294.jpeg

89B18749-0A8E-4E1E-98FE-B31F08060C10.jpeg

D66A0BFC-443F-4A30-A7A5-31806B6B691F.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the game changer. IFR clearances can be long…Yeah, I know! As in video… Just write them down and don’t think about them as you do so. A question stops information coming in,

Well, that’s what the video says (Sportys IFR course) and I’d like to add you are expected to start on the new heading immediately. ATC don’t like it if you don’t immediately start on new heading. Otherwise, yes. Write and reply then take time to understand. 

Today was actual IFR. Coming into Crete we had simultaneous hood off and out of clouds. Crete had a breakfast flyin with numerous spectators so landing had to be excellent. 350 hours and 35 IFR hours now. I can’t recommend enough doing and sticking with IFR training. It’s sharpening all the things I’ve learned over 3 years and adding big time.

D1E404D6-91A5-424B-ACF8-6F13A6C7EFA0.png

Edited by Mike Gearon

44 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Mike have you been using a clock with elapsed and stop time? When you get used to it you will use it even in VFR. Nev

Yes, Cessna has a clock with reset. I also purchased a stand alone clock. I absolutely get how useful this is. Especially after prop stop from

not setting 30 minute alarm to change tanks! Thanks for asking. 

I’m with my old CFI tomorrow as safety pilot so he can log approaches and holds. Looking forward to an easy flight for once 😀My job apart from lookout will be working on radio calls. Slowly improving.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Spot on test, Mike!
My car has superior suspension and larger diameter wheels, so should give a smoother ride than my plane at 70km/m landing speed. 

I have only been able to test a couple of potential landing grounds with my car, but the ride has been ruff-as-gutz! 
Smooth-looking paddocks might knock hell out of your plane.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onetrack said:

Yikes! I hope the geese aren't permanent visitors to the airstrip! 

That airstrip needs a lot more grader work, IMO.

I think the record was about 20 cape barren and 10 swans. Last soft field  take off about a month ago I had a close encounter with some variety of bird. Loud thump that turned out to be the front wheel spat. Training drums in to keep the nose down when slow.  My new muscle memory training is to keep the nose down then lift and lower again if large birds suddenly appear from nowhere.

I was probably a few cm from a prop strike and a possible dip in Westernport bay. 17:1 glide in the Pipistrel may have made the beach or paddock. I’ve practised going to idle and turning after take off. It’s bloody tempting to push in the rudder because the nose looks more like it’s going the right direction. Confident I’d not have tried the impossible turn. Coordinated turn with airspeed and then decision to try to make beach/ paddock or normal full flap  landing on water/ mangroves.

The Cape Barren are pretty good at getting out of your way. STOL and good manoeuvrability. The swans not so much of either.

Grader work…. Yeah, I’ve appreciated your shared knowledge on runways. If I could have had the local grader owner come in when it was disc prepped it would be damn good. He really let me down with unfulfilled promises. My family also in earthmoving business (much smaller) . I’d have brought a road grader over and copped the 2k float charge and 1.2k barge bill.

I have a plan for an east west runway down down toward the beach. It’s sandy all weather and protected from southerly winds by the beach tea tree. The birds don’t hang out there either because the grass is crappy. They love to crop the runway short grass and also like us seem to enjoy just hanging out on the lawn.

30 ton Excavator and truck coming soon. Those bloody easterly winds last summer caused some drama. Definitely want to land into the summer easterlies. 

Well. All that inconsequential with the 220hp turbo S21 tail wheel with tundra tyres. Can pretty much exit the hangar and be in the air a few meters later any direction. The 50ft wing motor glider can sit in the hangar on windy days. It’ll come out for nice thermal days. Looking forward to annoying the pelicans thermalling up mid island before they commute off from great heights.

Edited by Mike Gearon
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

There was a tragedy on French island yesterday. A head on collision. One person died and 2 in the other car were airlifted to the Alfred hospital. They are thankfully stable. All friends we have known for 14 years. I’ve had a number of people contact me so mention it here to clear up.

One of the things I hoped for from this forum was to make good contacts. I have a number of great friends from my decade in Taiwan. Established through a forum. That finally happened at Osh Kosh. Fantastic to meet Rfguy and Thruster88. We will be organising reciprocal visits between Cowra and French island. 

Third year at Oshkosh and I’d thought it would be enough and I’d skip a year. Turns out I can’t wait to get back there 2024. Didn’t even get time to sit in on any of the dozens of talks/ lectures.

IMG_1098.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

• Like 2

IFR…..

I’ve found this more challenging than expected. Considered throwing in the towel about a dozen times and I’ve not given up on anything since a kid. Main impetus to take it on was reading stats that IFR rated pilots are safer. I’d recommend taking on the IFR challenge to every pilot. Even without pushing through to checkride. I understand that in Australia we have another class of IFR that isn’t available in USA. That’s also worth considering for the benefits I’ve seen.

I went to Oshkosh with the thought that I’d give it away at this point with heaps learned and strong radio and multitasking skills that just weren’t there 3 months ago. Then, last flight prior to the 8 hour drive had an “aha” moment. I’m sure instructors had mentioned it but I’d not taken on board. Mike had to explain to Mike what needed doing. Last approach before Osh Kosh I was yet again left of runway. Hood up and the disappointment of seeing the runway off to the right. The light came on. Treat the CDI and the external picture as if I’m seeing it then move the aircraft over and dial in runway heading (maybe with a wind correction).

I was back in the air yesterday and brought in 3 approaches that were needle Center stable 80kn approaches all the way in. Well, first one I missed a radio call to switch to tower that CFI picked up. Second two were also spot on and I really tuned in the radio at same time with great call outs on altitudes. The big surprise was when the CFI said we better get you ready for your checkride!

9th August is seaplanes at Jack Browns in Florida. 

Maybe checkride before 2nd September departure. Maybe not. I’ll take it as it feels right and checkride 2024 isn’t out of the question. You get 2 years here after written. Not sure how long in Oz your written stays current.

I purchased that hood. One for myself and one for the flying school. 14 dollars well spent. Foggles and glasses don’t mix as well as it’s a cheat. The Lightspeed delta Zulu has saved my arse. I don’t turn it up full volume and the audio frequencies  are tuned to help in the 6 high frequencies. Yesterday Omaha approach had static for whatever reason. I’d maybe not have managed the calls with the BoseA20.

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg

• Like 2

If I can do it (IFR) you certainly can Mike. 

also was my first OSH this year. Bucket list ticked. Blown away by the magnitude and camaraderie. Hope to be an annual pilgrim. 

Best wishes 

NME

Edited by NME
  • Agree 1