More 'Backcountry 182' STOL/SOFT ops.

Garfly

3 hours ago, Garfly said:

Geez, Flighty, even when you come across a recreational flyer with first class stick and rudder skills (and an exemplary safety message) you still manage to pull a negative message from it.  You're never happy, are ya!

Truth be told, I'd fly to any strip with that BC182 bloke, in a heartbeat, given the chance.  (Or, for that matter, with any experienced, right minded, PNG pilot on their daily mountain milk run.)   BC182 sums it up in the vid:  "Flying in the mountains can be very rewarding but you've got to do your homework and you've got to get the training." 

Done right, there's no reason we can't seek that kind of reward in OZ - without, necessarily, strewing bodies everywhere.

(Anyway, at our age, we're not even safe in a simulator.   ;- )

I'm sure I could talk you into a fly in a 150 Captain Gazza......😜

Of course, SP, I'll even fly with students if it's free.

Have you got a C150, now?

(They're what they call the poor man's Skyranger, no?)

Edited by Garfly

You think I'm kidding? The More Is Better Kenwood 9000......pity the poor audiophile trying to work this thing with just one pair of hands...........

image.jpeg.8b26128cd2f1e7545c92dd88317bcbca.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank Christ we don’t experience this down under! Pre heating an engine and having snow on the ground means stay inside where it’s warm👍
This guy has great vids but I can’t stand his voice!

Got bored after 37 seconds. I'm sure he has a very plausible theory if I had watched it long enough. With my limited brain capacity and boredom threshold I can't watch it vey long.
How does he define final? His approach in the first 37 seconds he turns onto his landing heading just before he touches down.

When I'm landing short on a bush strip I fly a curved approach straightening up just before flaring. 

Whilst I find the guys vids interesting/entertaining I wonder how many of us really fly like he does here in Oz in say a C182 or C170? Landing on gravel bars, weaving in and out of trees in high risk environments all the time with the stall warning activating? I’d say none to very few!  We simply don’t have the locations like they do over there, here is very restrictive, people would whinge, the authorities would crucify us for operation in and out of some gravel bar on the Murray River for instance! Insurance Co’ would be thrilled m sure😉

• Agree 1