Pilot Certificates (Sport Aviation Bodies) Direction

ave8rr

OK I see your point.  This is starting to ring alarm bells for me. Do I (as the only heart transplant recipient in aus to hold a full ppl) continue to push for the ppl on an annual basis, risking a medical refusal and potential cancellation of licence, or do I simply not renew so I can be guaranteed to retain the certificate  (currently have both). I'm starting to lean towards the latter.....

Hi Matty. I really can't advise you as to which way you should go with this as it hasn't been tested as of yet. But if you are so minded not to renew your medical then your GA licence will endure as there would be no grounds under the Reg 269 (b) for CASA to cancel your licence. If you don't want to fly GA then there is no need for a medical and that is not a case of you not having satisfied a requirement.

Bear in mind that the medical requirements will change in due course for both GA and Sport aviation in order to bring into existence a level playing field as opposed to the very unfair system that is in place at the moment. 

Trust me it will happen and CASA will be powerless to stop the changes because it will be the Government of the day decision not those that think they can make policy from within a government apointed authority only.

I hope this helps. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

know lots. It's probably available freely enough or under FOI if not.  Any form of cancer and they kick you out. Nev

Actually, not so.    I had a small Grade 3 melanoma excised from my leg in 2004, and required no followup treatments, but 3 monthly scans, X-rays for about a year, then annually for another 4 years.  As I was already on annual medicals, (Class 1), the only extra checks were for any return.  Luckily, I have been clean ever since and continue to hold my Class 1 despite having had a pacemaker inserted early 2019. I am a very very grateful little pilot!

happy days,

• Like 1

Hi Matty. I really can't advise you as to which way you should go with this as it hasn't been tested as of yet. But if you are so minded not to renew your medical then your GA licence will endure as there would be no grounds under the Reg 269 (b) for CASA to cancel your licence. If you don't want to fly GA then there is no need for a medical and that is not a case of you not having satisfied a requirement.

Bear in mind that the medical requirements will change in due course for both GA and Sport aviation in order to bring into existence a level playing field as opposed to the very unfair system that is in place at the moment. 

Trust me it will happen and CASA will be powerless to stop the changes because it will be the Government of the day decision not those that think they can make policy from within a government apointed authority only.

I hope this helps. 

Hi Rick - I don't really want or need to fly GA but Raaus is not a clear winner either.  Polo Flat is 1.2hrs away (Canberra based) and closed.  Goulburn is 1.2hrs away but unfriendly to Raaus (anyone really). At 2.4hrs drive return, a simple flit around Goulburn for 1hr pretty much makes it a full day commitment once you allow time for dragging the plane out, preflight,  paperwork, (lunch somewhere in this mix) fly, land, refuel and put the plane to bed. Maintaining VH gives access to Canberra and a few 150''s or warriors which can be slotted in after work on the way home. Tough decision. An Raaus suitable field near Canberra would be awesome but has been discussed infinitum on this forum so I'm not going any further on that one!!!

With my current cancer there is no talk of cancelling actual licence. In fact CASA are keeping in touch with progress so we can start the process of getting medical back. While the process sucks it certainly attainable.

there was an article not that long ago of a QANTAS flight that was crewed completely by people who have recovered from cancer.

Pmccarthy yes I understand that. Even skin such as BCC'S can hold up your medical but if treatment is successful and a watch is kept on the offending type of cancer you can be cleared to fly. 

I was in fact referring to a terminal condition not treatable and responding type cancers. 

It great to know that there are a number of cancer survivors out there that are still flying.

The real issue with most types of cancer is the psychological state of the sufferer.

There have been in the past a number of serious cancer cases who have pulled the pin whilst flying.

I had a mate recently step out of an aircraft and free fall to his death because of associated psychological issues.

It is a sad fact of life that people do in such circumstances take their own life.