Savannah stall.

shafs64

The high nose position is not to be considered weird. It's what you must do to reach the limits of the wing. . Nev

Exactly correct. Increasing AofA means increasing lift coefficient. It's the ability of the Savannah wing to attain this high AofA without suddenly letting go that makes it such a dependable STOL aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Why would you take off the slats and put on VGs, then take off heavily loaded and in less than ideal conditions.

I would expect to do that work and then test fly the plane to get new figures for stall etc, plus get the feel of the plane.

Why would you take off the slats and put on VGs, then take off heavily loaded and in less than ideal conditions.

I would expect to do that work and then test fly the plane to get new figures for stall etc, plus get the feel of the plane.

Yes i was thinking the same .

I was wondering why an over 80 year old would want their plane to go faster.

• Winner 1

At the time, the Savannah with the slats had a very slow cruise speed; I seem to remember 67 kts, but that may not be correct.

When you get slow speeds like that and a 30 kt wind on the nose, you are down to a TAS of 37 kts so you sit there burning nearly double your fuel per nautical mile. On cross country flights this takes the shine off the reason you bought the STOL for. The VGs made a huge difference for cross country flying.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

When you are eighty and running out of years, don't you do everything faster if it doesn't hurt too much. It is like when checkout operator at the supermarket stops serving to serve on the nearby smokes counter I never get offended. The customers at the smokes counter have less time left so they don't have time to wait!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't advise 80 year olds to build their own plane from scratch. (unless they are supreme optimists) .You don't have the time for that so get out and FLY if that's what you really want.  IF you are over 50 even get on with it and don't procrastinate. It's always LATER than you think. and planes take longer to build than you fooled yourself into believing. a while ago. Nev

I built 2 since I was 50, but I don’t think I will start another. It would possibly get finished, but test flying could be unwise.

I am sorely tempted to do a major overhaul, new skin and panel, but it would be un recoverable money.

At the time, the Savannah with the slats had a very slow cruise speed...

The VGs made a huge difference for cross country flying.

Coming home from Temora one year I was surprised to be overtaken by a Sav;

he was cruising at around 90kt, so presumably had VGs.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't advise 80 year olds to build their own plane from scratch. (unless they are supreme optimists) .You don't have the time for that so get out and FLY if that's what you really want. IF you are over 50 even get on with it and don't procrastinate. It's always LATER than you think. and planes take longer to build than you fooled yourself into believing. a while ago. Nev

I am over 50 and building a Savannah now. Even though there is enjoyment in the building process itself, my principal aim is to fly.

☆ anyway...

...back to building!

90kts is not cruising in a savannah ...its pushing it ...and the airframe lets you know it too ...it changes its sound.

Do you suggest eighty knots is the ideal cruising speed?

It's a modified NACA 65018. Bottom surface flat instead of slightly under cambered.

Martin Symons ( model aerodynamics author) would say that you have used the word "undercambered" wrongly. But its the way I have always thought and so I am guilty too. You actually mean a concave under-surface.

"Camber" is the curvature of the mean line between upper and lower airfoil surfaces, so an undercambered wing has not enough curvature of this line.