Extract on Forced Landings

That’s shock. I came across a fatal head-on collision on a country freeway one night. The driver who died had drifted off to sleep and the car came through the centre median strip brush. Both cars were on the road and as I was setting up my car to protect them with flashing lights one of the passengers his bare chest bleeding from the successful seat belt restraint walked off up the highway in the middle of a traffic lane into 100 km/hr traffic. He disregarded me telling him to get off the road, couldn’t see why and I had to gently put a hand on each shoulder and walk him off the road explaining he’d been in an accident etc until he recovered enough to function properly.

• Like 2

Yes . Where a fire is likely it would seem reasonable to take more care in the design of things in that area. An inverted aircraft may be essentially impossible to get out of especially if you are injured. Having a reasonably strong cockpit capsule that retains it's structural integrity in a prang is certainly a desirable feature and a bit more attention to an effective firewall  in some designs as well as fuel/oil and electric shut offs. and door latches that don't jamb... Nev

With regard to fires, does anybody know the cause of the Jabiru fire while in the air at Bundaberg?

They landed the plane, which subsequently burnt, while the fire brigade were kept out by a locked gate.  The aircrew got out ok.

That's about all I know, so I am curious about the event.

With regard to fires, does anybody know the cause of the Jabiru fire while in the air at Bundaberg?

They landed the plane, which subsequently burnt, while the fire brigade were kept out by a locked gate.  The aircrew got out ok.

That's about all I know, so I am curious about the event.

It's about ten years ago, and I think we found out it was a procedural decision not to drive in and up to the aircraft, and I think it was an electrical short (not systemic to the Jab's system.)

Yes Turbs, I reckon we are referring to the same incident. What do you mean about " a procedural decision not to drive in and up to the aircraft?"

I can’t remember, but it was discussed at length on this site. You may find the posts in a search

• 5 months later...

In my gliding career, I have done hundreds of forced landings.

Surprising as it may at first sound,. . . I personally did one hundred and thirty five successful engine out landings at Bacchus Marsh Gliding Club in the 1970s.. . .one of which was driving a tug aircraft,. . (.when it ran out of petrol )

• Like 2