Light aircraft crash, S.A. Riverland

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that would make it difficult.  You were expected to solo in about 8 hours but you didn't have to queue at the holding point or worry about radio procedures. All over field took care of the crosswind issues. Nev

Yes, he took 15 hours to solo and was really panicking. They say he never did learn to do it gently but his ability to hit the enemy was legend. His performance at Gurney Field, Milne Bay, was magnificent and the khaki jobs and Yanks there had nothing but praise for him and his leadership.

• Like 1

I know a guy like that. . .known him for thirty five years.. . . always the maverick. . .loves low level beat ups in his Vans. . . and illegal IMC flying thru mountainous regions in Europe. . .

Law of averages says that one day. . . .

• Agree 1

I have Bluey’s biographer by Paul Brickhill (Dam Busters author) and Bluey nearly didn’t make it into the airforce because he used to round out to land his Tiger Moth about 15’ above ground. Every landing was a crash.

Sounds a bit like von Richthofen. It's said he was a crap pilot, often crashing, but an excellent shot.

Much as I admire pilots with wartime experience, we should remember they were trained for different priorities to what we expect of civil pilots today.

• Agree 2

Yes the Red Baron had an inauspicious beginning, apparently writing off a couple of planes. He was apparently always a crack shot which might have counted for more.. . Lots of wartime pilots ended the war  with only a few hundred hours total. . They only got the bare necessities in hours before going onto the next type often being literally "thrown to the wolves" till they gained a bit more experience or died trying to. . I have been associated closely with at least a hundred  WW2 pilots and they never "talk about IT" generally, and only occasionally something slips out and a small number went into print about some of those they knew and the planes the booze and the deaths and futility of war. Nev

• Like 4

At a gathering of pilots a few years ago, we were all sitting around enjoying a cool beer when we heard a plane coming in to the bush strip. It was about 20 minutes after it got dark and someone said "That will be so and so"

A mad dash to get cars to light the strip and this bloke landed.

I met him shortly after he stopped and told him he was a F--ng idiot.

Nice bloke, he fully agreed with me and said he had been doing that kind of thing for years. The worst thing from his point of view, was that the car lights blinded him rather than helping him.

We had quite a chat about it next morning and he fully agrees with me. Probably still does that kind of thing.

• Like 1

There's never been a real shortage of F (lying) Idiots. The most careful bloke around aeroplanes I ever knew ended up flying his Twin Commanche into a rock cliff in cloud . It's not a forgiving environment.   Nev

• Like 1

New student rocks up to instructor for first lesson. They shake hands and introduce. Instructor sticks his leg out trips student who falls to floor. "What did you do that for?" " That was lesson number one - the ground is hard. Imagine what it will be like hitting it at 50 knots plus".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This bloke with the wrecked Evektor obviously sidestepped that first lesson. 

No not at all, he skipped that lesson to learn how to photoshop his unrestrained dog in all his photos on Facebook with him flying in the plane.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What an unrestrained DOG flying the Plane? The PIC should always keep a seat belt on. . Nev

Ok Nev got me,

Maybe the photoshopped dog was to blame for hitting the wire?

Seems to be as his brother is making every excuse to defend him.

I was told I didn’t know what I was talking about on PLA on Facehead by him before the post was shutdown.

Apparently he had a problem in the air and hit the wire on the way down, funnily enough I do lots of ground work on google earth and there were many places like roads and open paddocks to go too rather than a paddock full of vines.

I’m not a rocket scientist and I’m not stupid either, I know his history and I knew this day would come.

• Like 1

I know how you feel Alf . I've had similar experiences and with a similar result but unfortunately people get injured. Plenty of instructors have predicted bad outcomes as they are often in a position to know the signs  But till it happens, and even then you will still be attacked. People think they have rights but they do let the side down. IF you fail someone another friend will help the Poor fellow out.. Sorry about the DOG . I try to put a bit of levity into it . . Nev

I know how you feel Alf . I've had similar experiences and with a similar result but unfortunately people get injured. Plenty of instructors have predicted bad outcomes as they are often in a position to know the signs  But till it happens, and even then you will still be attacked. People think they have rights but they do let the side down. IF you fail someone another friend will help the Poor fellow out.. Sorry about the DOG . I try to put a bit of levity into it . . Nev

Nev

no offence taken I saw the humour in it.

I’m not a perfect pilot in any case as are any of us.

I try to be as professional as I can for an RAA hack.

I fly as disciplined as I can and have a healthy respect for it.

I know I can become a statistic in the activity I love, I may well one day go down and you all will be having an opinion, But it means I didn’t have the right stuff at the time and cocked it up somewhere somehow.

• Like 1

I,m glad the guy is recovering and no one else was hurt. But the caviate I would insist on, were I able too, would be that his licence be canceled in definatley and forever, both for his sake and the general public.

The problem is whether he's learnt anything from his foolhardiness/showing off - and doesn't do it again - or if he's the arrogant type who blames everyone and everything else, but himself, for his crash.