Upsetting statistic

Admin

Ok, as a site stakeholder i.e. YOU, do you want me to:

1. Pay for another year of the IPS license ($400) OR use the Xenforo license which is already paid up?

2. Migrate Whats Up Australia into Recreational Flying OR leave it separate?

3. Run a donation campaign OR find someone who will get sponsors for advertising on the site to pay for Facebook and Google advertising?

Come on...what say you??????????????????????????

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Use the xenforo licence. No cost but not as many features. The extra features were hardly used anyway.

2. Migrate Whats Up into this site.

3. Run a donation campaign.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A small optional annual subscription shouldn't hurt most budgets, and might provide planning stability for the site owner.

Ozrunways seems to be thriving on subscriptions, which surprises me given the limited size of the local market which they share with significant competition. 

Meanwhile, RecFlying has a global reach, with greater potential membership.

I'd be interested in a survey of users to see which features attracted them to the site and what could enlarge clientel. 

Forgive me if this sounds selfish, but the thought of changing horses again midstream raises the prospect of loosing the view counts again like the first 800 or so on the first few aircraft in the showcase on Xenforo. I'd like to pay the license fee myself, but as I often have difficulty paying for my medications, that unfortunately is not possible.

1. Pay for another year of the IPS license ($400) OR use the Xenforo license which is already paid up?

3. Run a donation campaign OR find someone who will get sponsors for advertising on the site to pay for Facebook and Google advertising?

1. Whichever doesn't keep you awake at night worrying about paying the bills.

2. Preferably separate since it's not aviation related.

3. No issue with optional subscriptions (as now), running an annual donation campaign, and commercial sidebar adverts. Compulsory annual subscriptions would probably drive away those who are tight budgets, which seems unfair.

I also frequent Vans Airforce a lot, and this site is streets ahead in terms of presentation and the effort you put into improving it. VAF's interface is pretty archaic by comparison, yet it's successful mainly because it has a large core captive audience of RV owners and builders. It also runs fairly unobtrusive commercial adverts and has an annual donation campaign, but in the 10 years of so I've been a member, there has been no apparent effort or money spent on upgrading the site as far as I can see. It seems to do what it does well enough to keep everyone happy, since I can't recall ever seeing anyone posting suggestions for improving it.

• Like 2

Come on all you forum followers.......If you can afford a take away coffee per week you can afford a $50.00 donation once a year!

Get behind this site . I would hate to wake up one morning with no Rec Flying.

:thank you:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Since you asked, I don't want you to do anything Ian.  To be brutally honest, it doesn't bother me whether this site fails or succeeds, that's your concern.  

Regarding Facebook, not many users like dealing with the devil, but there ain't many other viable options available, and it's really only as bad or good as users allow it to be.    One thing it doesn't do is stifle intelligent, informed, cutting edge debate, and that's good.    It superficially fills a huge need for social contact that's missing in society today, and that's an opportunity you can tap into as well.    The key, if you ask me, is personal contact...

BTW, if you think honourable intentions ensure wild success, you're dreaming.    Don't aim for success either, it's way oversold.  Aim for something simple and worthwhile.

To me, it seems like you have to make a clear choice about what you want to achieve.   Come up with a guiding principle that directs your purpose for the site.  e.g.  To enable people with an interest in aviation to connect and share their knowledge and experience for everyone's benefit.     That's just an example though.  It's gotta be what you want the site to be, then all you have to do is make it be that.  Simple, but not easy.

Regardless of what anyone says, it has to be your choice because it's what suits you.  If it happens to suit us as well, then that's a bonus.

To be brutally honest, it doesn't bother me whether this site fails or succeeds, that's your concern.  

What else would you expect from our No 1 troll  :thumb down:

I think the simple solution is that it doesn't appear in "What's New", if that's possible.

Off Topic followers merely have to get there manually, fine by me.

• Agree 2

What else would you expect from our No 1 troll  :thumb down:

Ian asked for brutal honesty.   I gave it to him.  Guilty as charged.   If we genuinely want to do and be better, we wouldn't shoot the messenger.   

Do I get a special avatar or something to go with the title?  Something like the Tassie Devil cartoon guy would be nice.

801576807_TassieDevil.jpg.df728e7217004391d64150a044be0914.jpg

Manwell, seeing the TYPE of questions Ian wanted addressed, and he listed examples , do you think  starting out by saying you "wouldn't bother whether the site fails or succeeds, that's your concern" helped in any way?  It's a gratuitous insult to Ian and only adds to the impression you go out of your way to offend. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

Site seems fine to me. Don't see what the fuss is about. A donation of $50 / year for those who want the site and can afford it seems reasonable. 

Well I'm in as soon as this is all cleared up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a pity that with the hundreds of users that come here these are the only replies to help the site:

The question

The answers

I like it as it is Ian and i,m no computer wiz so if it ain,t broke don,t fix it eh. Cheers Mick

1. Use the xenforo licence. No cost but not as many features. The extra features were hardly used anyway.

1. Whichever doesn't keep you awake at night worrying about paying the bills.

3. No issue with optional subscriptions (as now), running an annual donation campaign, and commercial sidebar adverts. Compulsory annual subscriptions would probably drive away those who are tight budgets, which seems unfair.

This

Hey Ian!

I suggested running banner ads in positions that did not detract from what appears on the greater area of the page. Those locations were at the top of the page and below the Nav bar on the left. I didn't think up that idea. It was the answer given to me by a bloke who runs a digital marketing business.

• Like 2

agree, save the dollars and use the Zenforo site.   As pointed out, most of the features were not used a lot.   Consolidate the core then go for expansion again after analysis.

It's a pity that with the hundreds of users that come here these are the only replies to help the site:

Many People no doubt appreciate it, but it's not their lives, so look after yourself first, stop stressing over them, go the cheaper Z route, do the banner advertising, you know some of us will donate, and all will be good.

• Like 1

I really appreciate this site. It is the only one I frequent, and it has the best technical advice ever.

It has appeared to me that the Whats Up site has not attracted the non-aviation crowd I would have expected. The same lot of guys like me are the main contributors. Some different-thinking guys ( astrologer types ) came and went. I reckon the average IQ on the site was too high for them.

So if the money demands it, I support migrating the Whats up site to the aviation site.

And thanks Ian, I really appreciate what you have done for us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ok, if I save dollars and use the XF site software it will mean yet another change which could see the loss of even more users but other users may be more comfortable with it. I spent a few days developing what an XF site would look like just in terms of what we have now and we get:

IPS as Now

XF

Forums

Same Forums but a lot simpler search and post creation

Groups - I wanted to get flying clubs and schools to create a presence here by them creating their own group

Groups - but with less functionality so may not be comprehensive enough for clubs and schools to want to create their own group

Blogs - not really used but had hoped kit builders would create a blog on their build

No Blog Alternative

Events - has multi calendars and RSVP options

3rd Party Calendar addon that costs $60USD

Media - Gallery

Included as a single solution for both pictures and videos which can be separated by categories

Media - Videos

as above

Articles

3rd Party Articles addon (currently have)

Aviation Accident Articles

Would need to be included in the Articles 3rd party addon as a category (if we still wish to make them separate)

Resources - Downloads

Included in XF which can also accommodate Tools and Calculators

Resources - Tools and Calculators

as above

Resources - Tutorials

Would need to be included in the Articles 3rd party addon as separate categories

Quizzes (not yet developed)

No Quizzes alternative

Maps

No Maps alternative

Aircraft

3rd Party Articles addon (currently have) called Showcase

People (not yet developed)

No People alternative although could be again be included as a category in the 3rd party Articles addon

Pilot Supplies Shop (IPS has an integrated (including user login) shopping cart system that was planned to replace the Clear Prop site)

Would need to keep the non integrated Clear Prop site

Classifieds

No Classifieds alternative - could use a forum or get one developed

Suppliers

No Suppliers alternative

Members

Members but without daily champion

Off Topic - either integrated (with filters) or separate site

Off Topic - either integrated (with filters) or separate site

Whats New - all of site integrated together in the one page

Whats New - uses separate Whats New pages for each area of the site i.e. not all integrated into 1 page

Overall XF would be easier for the user but is limited in future feature development (example the many different areas that would need to use categories within the one single Articles section

XF is cheaper in yearly license and 3rd party addon fees

There are many other little features that are different between the two solutions and far too many to list here but those that were using the site prior to going to IPS would probably know them