CASA Consultation Paper (760 kg) Published.

walrus

[ATTACH]42806[/ATTACH]

Now that is funny

So is this: You know, when I was a kid, my parents taught me a riddle. It said, "If there are five frogs on a log and one decides to jump off, how many are left?" And the answer is five - because deciding to do something is not doing it."  PHIL BURGESS, former senior Telstra executive.

• Like 2

and during the comment period which closed last September, very few of the RAA frogs even decided to jump off and make a comment, but plenty have not only decided, but jumped after the water ran out.

I put my reasons in and you can even go and read them Turbo

I know, and that's why I said "very few".

My concern was the people putting their reasons up in social media after the consultation had closed.

Its no different than the lotto..you got to be in it to win it. If you didnt spend the time and comment and put your views forward at the time then you have no say in what happens at all. You may think it is fruitless to do it and then again it may not be. I made my view well known in the ADSB comment and also in this 760kg survey. I have been quite surprised at the outcome of both to be honest as they both went the way that I wanted them to go. BUT and its a big BUT...it remains to be seen what actually happens with the 760kg matter. The ADSB has been a fizzer so far even though CASA has approved the non certified versions but to date there hasnt really been any company offering those versions at a "reasonable" price

• Like 1

Out here on the farm in the backblocks of Vic, I feel like Dad with my Jabiru and my son is like Dave with his Lancair. Young Dave has definitely had more training than me, what with the retract endorsement and stuff. He doesn't know as much as me on account of just being a kid ( 47 ) and therefore lacking experience.

The best thing about being Dad and Dave is that we are a long way from officialdom.  Not that anything illegal ever happens around here.

The 760 kg weight thing once appeared to offer the possibility of the Lancair being RAAus, but there are disadvantages in this move so it may not have happened anyway. But the stall-speed limitation rules the Lancair out for sure.

Out here on the farm in the backblocks of Vic, I feel like Dad with my Jabiru and my son is like Dave with his Lancair. Young Dave has definitely had more training than me, what with the retract endorsement and stuff. He doesn't know as much as me on account of just being a kid ( 47 ) and therefore lacking experience.

The best thing about being Dad and Dave is that we are a long way from officialdom.  Not that anything illegal ever happens around here.

The 760 kg weight thing once appeared to offer the possibility of the Lancair being RAAus, but there are disadvantages in this move so it may not have happened anyway. But the stall-speed limitation rules the Lancair out for sure.

You clearly haven't heard the stories of Hartley Gericke and his favourite trick of taking the tops off chimneys with a wheel.

I know, and that's why I said "very few".

My concern was the people putting their reasons up in social media after the consultation had closed.

I wonder how many of the members on this forum actually completed the survey. Not many I'm sure. I made the effort and checked after publication that my comments were included; and they were, so I am satisfied that I have had my say. Those that didn't take the time to complete the survey have little business commenting on it. If you don't have an official "say" all you type/complain about becomes irrelevant and if you don't even own an aircraft even less so. Knock yourself out. Ken

• Like 2

If all of the 408 responses came from RAA member's that would be 3% so 97% don't care. As a percentage our group here did a lot better. I would like to see casa come out and say any pilot with a certificate can fly aircraft up to 760kg without a medical regardless of registration type ie VH. I don't see why the RAA has to be involved.

• 2 months later...

If you have a certificate it will mean that RAAus are most likely involved as they issue certificates. You could also say that if you have a licence, you should be able to fly RAAus aircraft. that would undermine RAAus ability to charge for membership and certificates.

• Like 1

does,nt efect me.

I need Lower Wing Loading.

Is 95-10, the only catergory with that Wing Load Rating ?.

spacesailor

All you need to do is register it under 95.55.......simple

BUT.

I Payed for 95-10,

No refund offered !

When built and registered it was legal to fly. So with NO time restrictions I merly let it sit, while training for my certificate.

Then was told .NOT LEGAL.

Fancy buying a car then told, NOT ON NSW ROADS.

Western Australia did the same with wide motor-homes. Which took court action to allow them to go to Perth.

spacesailor

The proposed 760kg category detail about medical requirements have not been made clear. Perhaps casa will require a commercial drivers licence medical. The category allows some higher performance a/c in such as Vans RV 3,4,6, etc. that can land at low speed. Your thoughts?

• Like 1

The proposed 760kg category detail about medical requirements have not been made clear. Perhaps casa will require a commercial drivers licence medical. The category allows some higher performance a/c in such as Vans RV 3,4,6, etc. that can land at low speed. Your thoughts?

The Consultation phase ended some months ago, so it doesn't matter what you think, we now need to wait for the decision.

And now, news update. Is there any truth in the rumour doing the rounds that CASA has told RAA and The Parachute Federation that the Part 149 documents submitted by them are crap, get your act together now or there will be no Part 149 approval forthcoming. Further, the funding assistance for the Part 149 approval is going to dry up. The Bull Frog AKA Tony Stanton has been shifted sideways and there is now a new rooster in the hen house. Its interesting if it is true because one may just be vindicated by these turn of events.

• 1 month later...

FYI ... I asked CASA for an update... here is the reply for anyone interested

Hello Steve

CASA is continuing to work on the DP 1912SS project. At this time, drafting instructions for the amendments are being developed. The draft amended regulations will also go again for industry consultation. The timeline is difficult to define at the moment with impacts of COVID-19 on many CASA resources. CASA will need to consider the second stage of consultation from the draft amendments.