CASA Consultation Paper (760 kg) Published.

walrus

FYI ... I asked CASA for an update... here is the reply for anyone interested

Hello Steve

CASA is continuing to work on the DP 1912SS project. At this time, drafting instructions for the amendments are being developed. The draft amended regulations will also go again for industry consultation. The timeline is difficult to define at the moment with impacts of COVID-19 on many CASA resources. CASA will need to consider the second stage of consultation from the draft amendments.

How is the virus situation making more work for CASA? With a lot less people flying, less maintenance and hardly any airlines flying what are they so busy with? Has CASA stood down a lot of staff?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

How is the virus situation making more work for CASA? With a lot less people flying, less maintenance and hardly any airlines flying what are they so busy with? Has CASA stood down a lot of staff?

......remember safe skies are M/T skies, achieving that takes a lot of man & brain power!? So far their work is being handed to them on a plate!

• Like 2

FYI ... I asked CASA for an update... here is the reply for anyone interested

Hello Steve

CASA is continuing to work on the DP 1912SS project. At this time, drafting instructions for the amendments are being developed. The draft amended regulations will also go again for industry consultation. The timeline is difficult to define at the moment with impacts of COVID-19 on many CASA resources. CASA will need to consider the second stage of consultation from the draft amendments.

This sounds like code for "not this year". I guess timely production is not such a consideration if one still gets paid even if there is no production. In farming no production equals no pay so we tend to do things in a very timely way. You will all be relieved to know that farmers are continuing to work normally in the covid-19 climate and food will be available. Planting some bread and cooking oil.Resized_20200421_094139_9920.thumb.jpg.bf50bb8db4bcb171e9b16167f1091718.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 2

This sounds like code for "not this year". I guess timely production is not such a consideration if one still gets paid even if there is no production. In farming no production equals no pay so we tend to do things in a very timely way. You will all be relieved to know that farmers are continuing to work normally in the covid-19 climate and food will be available. Planting some bread and cooking oil.[ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20200421_094139_9920.jpg]52612[/ATTACH]

Sheeez I'd hate to imagine how much that machinery costs?

• Like 1

How much and by when do you need some moisture to get that cooking oil sprouting, it looks very dry despite the wet weather boots on the tractor.?

The ground is quite wet, it just looks dry because no weeds have been allowed to grow, timely spraying.

Sheeez I'd hate to imagine how much that machinery costs?

The tractor is a 1996 model so current value only about 50k aud, only 6400 hours with no overhauls on any components. Just like an old aircraft it can go on for many more years with simple maintenance. It sits in the shed every year for 11 months with no starting. Seeder is about 10yo and worth about 50k. A new rig like this would be north of $400k.

Apologies for the thread drift

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The ground is quite wet, it just looks dry because no weeds have been allowed to grow, timely spraying.

The tractor is a 1996 model so current value only about 50k aud, only 6400 hours with no overhauls on any components. Just like an old aircraft it can go on for many more years with simple maintenance. It sits in the shed every year for 11 months with no starting. Seeder is about 10yo and worth about 50k. A new rig like this would be north of $400k.

Remind me not to come back in my next life as a farmer!? No need to apologise for a thread drift, hardly think we would be ostracised for creating such angst??

• Like 1

You will all be relieved to know that farmers are continuing to work normally in the covid-19

Thread drift warning,

Down South of you (Victoria) we are having fertilizer and chemical shortages. How's your chemical and fertilizer stocks? . There are also spare part supply issues altho that's not a show stopper ATM. Planting's are definitely being effected. My advice to everyone PLANT A GARDEN.

Thread drift warning,

Down South of you (Victoria) we are having fertilizer and chemical shortages. How's your chemical and fertilizer stocks? . There are also spare part supply issues altho that's not a show stopper ATM. Planting's are definitely being effected. My advice to everyone PLANT A GARDEN.

I like to secure my inputs well in advance of needing them just in case something unforeseen happens. Have heard some chemical is nil stock. As farmers we should not be giving our customers any ideas ??

• Like 2

Thread drift warning,

I Love gardening, it's therapeutic and clever, free food and mental health medicine?

• Like 2

And now, news update. Is there any truth in the rumour doing the rounds that CASA has told RAA and The Parachute Federation that the Part 149 documents submitted by them are crap, get your act together now or there will be no Part 149 approval forthcoming. Further, the funding assistance for the Part 149 approval is going to dry up. The Bull Frog AKA Tony Stanton has been shifted sideways and there is now a new rooster in the hen house. Its interesting if it is true because one may just be vindicated by these turn of events.

I think you missed one!!!!! - What is the murmur from the glider federation? Things are not that pleasant in that camp.

This exercise is a complete waste of money, the running around in circles with document writing is not a concern to CASA as they just sit back and watch the turmoil.

Their money is still the same for the CASA bureaucrats. They have to be seen doing things to make the boffins think they are doing something useful instead of sipping Lattes'.

KP

Thanks Thruster for the response,

Those of us sitting back in our isolated retirement need those crops, to mature and off to market,

thank you for keeping the show going in hard times and harder.

• Like 2

What is the murmur from the glider federation? Things are not that pleasant in that camp.

It appears that the GFA Executive Officer who was Team Captain at the recent Womens World Championships held at Lake Keepit has admitted to overseeing cheating by the entire team. He was subsequently booted off all postions he held with the International Gliding Commission at a recent IGC meeting. (IGC is the arm of FAI the international sports aviation body). I understand that he is still Australia's representative to the FAI by virtue of being elected by ASAC (Australian Sports Aviation Commission - ever heard of it?).

In spite of his admissions that has brought the GFA into international disrepute he still holds his job.

Interestingly CASA has mandated that (AC149-01):

CASA may also consider the following matters when determining the suitability of a nominee for

the key personnel:

• the person's history (if any) of serious behavioural problems

• any evidence held by CASA that the person has contravened:

- civil aviation legislation

- another law relating to transport (including aviation) safety, whether in Australia or a

foreign country

• the person's demonstrated attitude towards compliance with regulatory requirements in

Australia or a foreign country - relating to transport (including aviation) safety

Whilst no laws were broken the GFA EO would probably have a hard time convincing CASA that he is a suitable nominee for a responsible position of a Part 149 organisation.

Having said that the gliding mafia within CASA and the extended relationships that exist from the board down may protect him.

Which begs the question why does an organisation with a declining membership continually end up with past president sitting on the CASA board when a growth organisation like RAAus get left in the cold?

• Like 2

It appears that the GFA Executive Officer who was Team Captain at the recent Womens World Championships held at Lake Keepit has admitted to overseeing cheating by the entire team. He was subsequently booted off all postions he held with the International Gliding Commission at a recent IGC meeting. (IGC is the arm of FAI the international sports aviation body). I understand that he is still Australia's representative to the FAI by virtue of being elected by ASAC (Australian Sports Aviation Commission - ever heard of it?).

In spite of his admissions that has brought the GFA into international disrepute he still holds his job.

Interestingly CASA has mandated that (AC149-01):

CASA may also consider the following matters when determining the suitability of a nominee for

the key personnel:

• the person's history (if any) of serious behavioural problems

• any evidence held by CASA that the person has contravened:

- civil aviation legislation

- another law relating to transport (including aviation) safety, whether in Australia or a

foreign country

• the person's demonstrated attitude towards compliance with regulatory requirements in

Australia or a foreign country - relating to transport (including aviation) safety

Whilst no laws were broken the GFA EO would probably have a hard time convincing CASA that he is a suitable nominee for a responsible position of a Part 149 organisation.

Having said that the gliding mafia within CASA and the extended relationships that exist from the board down may protect him.

Which begs the question why does an organisation with a declining membership continually end up with past president sitting on the CASA board when a growth organisation like RAAus get left in the cold?

Not a good look.......

• Like 1

The cheating involved external assistance (not allowed by the IGC rules) to competitors by "hacking" the tracking device information of other pilots which was supposed to be on 15 minute delay but the Australian team had real time access to the data.

See their investigating lawyers abridged report attached. It is also possible that laws may have been broken eg privacy, telecommunications etc. which may be why the report was abridged.

I understand that other teams are appealing the light penalty applied by the international jury to the FAI.

WWGC Report Abridged (1).pdf

• 4 months later...

I have (again) emailed the CASA individual who gave me the last update... seeking news.

The subject line of my email was the auto-generated "Query regarding DP 1912SS on the amendment of MTOW values that are specified in CAO 95.55, Part 149, Part 149 MOS, Part 103 and Part 103 MOS (Consultation related)".  Initially my email went to regulatoryconsultation@casa.gov.au and was then passed to some named individuals, one of which replied.   I won't list their names here, but feel free to email the mailbox above.