CASA Consultation Paper (760 kg) Published.

walrus

SAO is a biscuit made by Arnotts that goes soft when you leave sliced tomato on it for too long.

ADF is soldiers but used to be a radio compass.  Artificial horizon has been renamed about 4 times in my flying lifetime. One description seems like it came from the Karma Sutra. I'll save you looking it up.  Horizontal Situation Indicator..

Aviation Terminology and Rules  IF by chance you CAN understand them Let us know and we will attend to the matter straight away.  Remember ."IF you're NOT happy we're not happy. We strive to give you the standard of service you have become used to . Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

How about initial training in a Skycraft Scout . They're sure cheap.  and they dont fly themselves, unlike a Jabiru or a Cessna.

Edited by RFguy

I don't reckon a Jabiru fly's itself..  IF people fly them well and put them exactly where they want to they are doing alright.  ALL my Jab time was instructing.  One day an ex Cessna fellow was unhappy with the way he was flying his 230 and I pointed out that the winds were so strong no one other than US was flying. A point worth making in respect of his difficulty  . I also considered the conditions manageable and suitable for more training at the time. Let me point out though, I never over rode a students wishes in such judgements. . Nev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

How about initial training in a Skycraft Scout . They're sure cheap.  and they dont fly themselves, unlike a Jabiru or a Cessna.

That is how I started out, no instruments, no instructor. Plenty of knowledge from reading and understanding what I read. New MK3 scout was $3500 with the big 18hp robin engine in 1984.

20180223_142617.jpg

• Like 4

(Scout) that wing looks interesting. different shape inboard  to outboard. Stuart I am pleased to see a helmet. I was watching a load of videos of Scouts with the instructor last week. no helmets. Although most barely got airborne. Very much affected by a light wind .

Nev, I concur. Actually when I was learning to fly in August, it was stable and my instructor lamented at times the gentle conditions when we were beginning more advanced stuff. Of course as soon as he said that, condix changed.

Mid september, october became windy and lively and we got plenty of good weather for training... My most memorable training was doing 500 AGL circuits with about 20 knots of Xwind at 500' , 15 kts full X on the ground. Circuits looked like paralleograms. Now that was fun flying, and where I learned wing down method, on grass.

Edited by RFguy

Grass makes it easier.. Tiger moths had no brakes at all. (Originally). Tailskids left a distinct groove in the turf. Cross country in a Tiger often meant you had quite a crosswind especially at Coastal places  like Port Macquarie. The original quoted MAX is 9 knot or maybe 7 . Did plenty well over that. . Nev

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like Part 103 is going "live" in December and after that it will be easier for SAO's to amend such things as MTOW. Anybody heard how RAAus is approaching this?

On 25/05/2021 at 11:13 PM, jackc said:

I think that Aviation is going to suffer the same problem for RAAus sector, with Flying School hourly training rates just over $300 per hour.

We need a ‘Foundation Aviation’ sector to get people into Aviation at a lower cost and less regulations.  Simplistic aircraft that are easy to fly and maintain.

It requires a return to AUF days and I doubt RAAus would accommodate that, needs a complete new organisation. 

Flak jacket ON 🙂

I dont think anyone disagrees but, is someone not already trying to do that, or is this another pie in the sky attempt...hurry up and wait.

55 minutes ago, robinsm said:

I dont think anyone disagrees but, is someone not already trying to do that, or is this another pie in the sky attempt...hurry up and wait.

I would hope that something could be got going at the foundation end of aviation,, other countries have no rego, no licence aviation categories.  Why not Australia?

Yes, I can hear RAAus shouting from the tree tops that Flintstone type aircraft will rain from the sky, missing wings and tail feathers . as their hapless pilots crash, creating a pile of human carnage.

Just set up another peak body to administer  the new aviation sector:-)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

Annoying if you are thinking of ordering a 600kg aircraft now for delivery next Feb.

I think there are a lot of kits ready to go now!  Price of Cessna 150s will go up as well…..

1 hour ago, jackc said:

I think there are a lot of kits ready to go now!  Price of Cessna 150s will go up as well…..

Maintenance for Cessna 150 will not change if they are RAAus registered. LAME and SIDS still required. Only someone who cannot get basic med would put a C150 into RAAus.  

• Like 1

Acronyms:  Once I was reading some CASA stuff and I said to myself GAGONY ( get a grip on yourself ) and BAM ( be a man ) and JLUTFG ( just look up the f/ing glossary). Well the second acronym wasn't in the glossary!

I hate acronyms. They may have had a place when teletypes did telegrams , now their only purpose is obfustication... they are very effective at this, these days they stop me trying to read it at all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Ten times worse.if you have a bad memory !.four bludi A4 pages of this shite while trying to study aeronautics.

AND why not remove the y (  why ) from the airfield designation. ( sydy for Sydney , oks for the Oaks )

spacesailor

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Acronyms:  Once I was reading some CASA stuff and I said to myself GAGONY ( get a grip on yourself ) and BAM ( be a man ) and JLUTFG ( just look up the f/ing glossary). Well the second acronym wasn't in the glossary!

I hate acronyms. They may have had a place when teletypes did telegrams , now their only purpose is obfustication... they are very effective at this, these days they stop me trying to read it at all.

Hi Bruce, if you were referring to my post about Cessna SIDS I apologise, it takes time to type all those long words. For anyone considering a cessna 150 for RAAus here is everything you need to know about SIDS, the $20,000 quoted is said by owners to be a tad low.

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/questions-and-comments-cessna-sids

• Informative 1

Thruster, no criticism of you was intended. But I have to say that SID (Sudden Infant Deaths)  doesn't make me think of Cessnas at all.

Anyway $20,000 dollars seems a good price.  They were a lot more expensive in the Aviation Trader my son gets. One big Cessna was over $200,000!

8 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

$20,000 for an older plane,

PLUS

$20,000 for that SIDS inspection, puts the price up a lot, into the Jabiru bracket, of $35,000.

spacesailor

Also don’t forget to factor down the track inspections relative to the sids requirement.  Will add to cost.

That is correct SIDS is ongoing. Cessna aircraft can be SIDS compliant but not SIDS complete. The big ones like wing removal to NDT the mounting lugs happen every 15 years or so, dont quote me on that.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like Part 103 is going "live" in December and after that it will be easier for SAO's to amend such things as MTOW. Anybody heard how RAAus is approaching this?  Anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

I read a great science fiction book about how Nigeria became the "owner" of the moon. Why? because they offered LESS regulation!

Our sort of aircraft would benefit from the same reasoning. Gosh, if the prospect of losing your life does not make you careful, why should a bureaucracy help? All they can produce is poverty.

It makes me angry that I am officially regarded as stupid and regulated accordingly. Well I'm no Einstein, but I would be smarter than many of the regulators. For example, I know that the main cause of premature  death in Australia is NOT aviation, it is due to poor diet and lack of exercise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I read a great science fiction book about how Nigeria became the "owner" of the moon. Why? because they offered LESS regulation!

Our sort of aircraft would benefit from the same reasoning. Gosh, if the prospect of losing your life does not make you careful, why should a bureaucracy help? All they can produce is poverty.

It makes me angry that I am officially regarded as stupid and regulated accordingly. Well I'm no Einstein, but I would be smarter than many of the regulators. For example, I know that the main cause of premature  death in Australia is NOT aviation, it is due to poor diet and lack of exercise. 

Good, you've accounted for about 60% of the deaths (I only made that up, but if anyone finds an accurate figure please correct.) Bill Bryson wrote an entertaining news story on what killed Americans; he'd found a US chart which minutely dissected the causes. There was even a percentage who were killed by their beds. However, RA have a significant number of unnecessary deaths, such as going up when the local forecast is for severe turbulence, flying below 500 feet into a powerline and not being able to make the turn onto final, practiced so many times.

• Like 1