• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "I" in TIG means INERT. Nitrogen is not inert. It's part of many compounds.

Nitrogen is an inert gas, inert gases need not be elemental and are often compound.  You seem to be thinking of noble gases, which are highly unreactive and monatomic under normal conditions.  All noble gases also form compounds, such as Argon Flourohydride, but under unusual conditions.  Noble gases are a subset of inert gases.

And this is probably the reason that we fave CAR 33D file:///C:/Users/Mark/Downloads/33_1.pdf

!?  That’s about the person doing the welding.  I’m talking about the process control for manufacturing a particular structure using novel methods and design.  

Probably been dicussed before, if so sorry.  Does laser/plasma cutting of alloy sheet leave any residual stress due to the heat gradient, especially with regard to pre-drilling for the rivet holes?

Regards

Alan

I’m talking about the process control for manufacturing a particular structure using novel methods and design.

I was taking a broader meaning of "dependent on process control" by including the operator as an element of the process. Then narrowing in on ensuring that the operator was competent to carry out the specific process. That's what CAR 33D is about. But having re-read your earlier post, I now see the direction you are approaching the topic from and understand what you meant.