Plane down after leaving Shellharbour

Helpful.  Not ... mean .. perhaps

Just to answer your criticism, if there is no news we can find and we say nothing the thread goes down out of sight and is quickly forgotten.

By talking, we keep it up at the top where it is highly visible and likely to attract information from someone who might have some information.

I suppose we could do what used to be done and type:

bump

bump

bump etc.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was me who said.....

Some should not be in charge of anything more than shopping trolley.

And some I would not even allow that.

Last week,  I saw some young idiot move into the next lane from a stop, jumping into the gap. Problem was young dicky smashed the throttle in his commode v8 and launched into the corner of the car in his original lane. Took flight and landed on the boot of the rear car in the next lane. I have always wondered how some one manages to get a car on top of a  sedan, now I know.

It just stopped short of landing in the path of oncoming traffic at 60kmh.

Three wrecks.

What a farking idiot. 

He, I would need to see retrained before allowing anywhere near even a shopping trolley. 

Was funny as hell to watch though.

I expect a Darwin award is going to be needed for that one.

Back to the subject of the thread. There seems to be a trend that pilots and passengers killed in these accidents are predominantly over 60. How can we arrest this trend?

The elephant in the room... 

Didn't a bunch of retreads who survived Honda CB750s Z1s and GS1000s come back after their kids left and write off things like K1200RS ( ssses) and ZZRs in the 1990s?

They might have! Or the ZRX1100..the 100 hp hooligan?

Another parallel to consider. Didn't a bunch of retreads who survived Honda CB750s Z1s and GS1000s come back after their kids left and write off things like K1200RS ( ssses) and ZZRs in the 1990s?

Is it possible a bunch of retirees are getting back into flying under similar circumstances?

its an open question

speak for yourself; mine was a 900SS.

• Like 1

Regardless of causes there have been a number of Bristell crashes. I think the first was when one got into a flat spin killing both the instructor and student, the student at Moorabin and this one this week. I seem to recall at least one more but can't remember any details.

• Agree 1

Well, apparently they are not dying or being dissected by the cables, which is a surprise to many people, but a LOT of lives have been saved, hence Victorian authorities installing thousands of kilometres of them. For a start they prevent you coming to an instant stop wrapped around a gum tree.

Time to phase bikes off the road anyway; car owners are being discriminated against by having to install thousands of dollars worth of things like armoured windscreens, collapsible steering columns, progressive crumple, seat belts, air bags, side intrustion bars and a host of ANCAP electrics only to have their mirro ripped off by someone flying past sitting on top of a high powered engine.

You obviously have a very high sense of importance.

How dare a motorcycle share space with you. I agree, you should not have any safety features. That's just another conspiracy of the left and motorcyclists in your mind.

Maybe Children are to blame for wanting a safe environment? Haven't seen any children run over in their driveway by bikes though or at anyplace self entitled dickheads drive.

Some people should never be let out in public. 

• Like 1

Anyone wanting answers to this crash will have to wait until the pilot’s name and occupation are released for some more insight, and it could also be important to know the Naips en route forecasts for the time leading up to the crash.

Regardless of causes there have been a number of Bristell crashes. I think the first was when one got into a flat spin killing both the instructor and student, the student at Moorabin and this one this week. I seem to recall at least one more but can't remember any details.

KG, 

i seem to recall  another flat spinning in at Stawell in Victoria, both survived but have long lasting injuries.

• Like 1

GS850 to R1100RS with a trailer. Kids are still at home so after I wore the last Money Waster out, my wife and I got commuter bikes, one of which has been ridden all over the country from new and refuses to die

pfft loosing mirrors....

opening the passenger side rear door is just as effective and doesn't leave a risk of being taken for damages.

I've heard a water pistol full of brake-fluid is good - but doesn't have that instant reaction

besides, we all know motorcyclists make better pilots?

We only make great pilots when its voluntary.

Been launched by a dickhead car driver does not count.

GS850 to R1100RS with a trailer. Kids are still at home so after I wore the last Money Waster out, my wife and I got commuter bikes, one of which has been ridden all over the country from new and refuses to die

The Boomers do make great road bikes.

In my experience - a bit like a Jabiru- very hard to kill. Unless you need a rocket ship, the flat twins are awesome.

There's a known trend locally, of males in the early retirement stage, investing in HD's to "live the dream" - without previously having had big bike experience.

They take up a lot of hospital beds with major injuries when they just run wide on sharp bends and clean up trees, cars, trucks, etc. More than a few took their last ride on a recent HD purchase.

I haven't seen any information on whether this crash was an RA or VH-reg aircraft, or even the make/model of aircraft. The news paragraph that refers to ATSB being notified, appears to indicate a VH-reg aircraft.

I was wondering if the drift to motorcycles was related to my avatar? I am a Motorcyclists and am over 60 ride a R1250 GSA and wasn't a late returner buying a Hardley just to feel young. Things that are related though, flying like riding is a skill, skills need constant practice , I find as I age I need more practice to stay in tune so perhaps this is the link. As for the new "old" Hardley riders this is about skills never learnt and not respecting that the result can be fatal ,

• Like 1

Time to phase bikes off the road anyway; car owners are being discriminated against by having to install thousands of dollars worth of things like armoured windscreens, collapsible steering columns, progressive crumple, seat belts, air bags, side intrustion bars and a host of ANCAP electrics only to have their mirro ripped off by someone flying past sitting on top of a high powered engine.

Maybe try it the other way....Get rid of all the unnecessary crap on cars designed to protect stupid people. Put a six inch spike in the centre of the steering wheel and watch how carefully they drive then.

Maybe big spikes on barriers too so that if they depart the road they will pierce the vehicle.

Start learners with a compulsory period on a moped with no mirrors. They'll learn to look after themselves or die, without killing anyone else, and maybe their parents might be encouraged to remove their own heads from their sphincters while driving.

Win/win.....gets rid of those that shouldn't be breeding and helps reduce the population of the planet.

BTW: there's only one reason you get your mirror taken off by a motorcyclist

:stirrer:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Would the moderator(s) please delete every reply that is not immediately relevant to the accident in question to save server bandwidth and reader frustration please? This thread isn't drifting, it's moving away from the subject at Mach 1.2!

Back to the subject, I met the pilot in question at Wollongong the day he undertook the ill-fated flight and am very saddened to learn he did not make it home. We must wait until the investigators have done their work before we go speculating on what might have caused the accident. We have lost a fellow-aviator and that ought to make us pause and reflect.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6