Plane down after leaving Shellharbour

Would the moderator(s) please delete every reply that is not immediately relevant to the accident in question to save server bandwidth and reader frustration please? This thread isn't drifting, it's moving away from the subject at Mach 1.2!

Back to the subject, I met the pilot in question at Wollongong the day he undertook the ill-fated flight and am very saddened to learn he did not make it home. We must wait until the investigators have done their work before we go speculating on what might have caused the accident. We have lost a fellow-aviator and that ought to make us pause and reflect.

This is an RAA aircraft so the only report we MAY see will be the Coroner’s report in a couple of years and that may not include the whole flight. As far as I’ve been able to see the pilot’s name hasn’t been released yet.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a well known & respected Bathurst recreational pilot, flying a Bristell. Appears he may have tracked direct from Albion Park to Bathurst, which took him over some very rough tiger country (my preferred route involves a dog leg via Taralga). There is a huge bushfire which would have been east of his track, but I imagine visibility would have been affected. I've been told the ballistic chute was deployed. Condolences to family & friends.

Meanwhile.

What happened to the plane from Shellharbour?

Data released by the ATSB. No horizon?

ae2020008_figure-2_final.thumb.png.7de54f1dc0a75508e68ec4bd38e88e71.png