'Flight shaming' and the ethics of recreational flying?

NT5224

Again Bindi, show me that the rest of the world are not moving away from coal...

China aso has cheap and slave labuor and state subsidised (including oal) indistries...

I ask again, show me the numbers - like I have shown you..

Until then, you can "where shall we start" or "aht to say" as much as you like - you haven't proffered anything up that globally, the world is moving on... not that coal is cheaper - we know that because it's price is continually dropping in real terms..

?

Jerry_Atrick, much of the world is buying products that were manufactured in China. China is powered by coal or hydro with a very small ‘other’ power. Therefore, much of the world uses coal to produce the manufactured goods they use. The world wide shipping system via air sea and land is all carbon fuel.

Australia’s main income earners are mining, farming and tourism. All happen thanks to the mighty carbon fuel.

As to evidence. China buying up Australian coal assets, and the attempts to stop it happening, has been in the news for many years.

Jerry_Atrick, seems yer only believe ABC news so my reference sources are a bit limited due the fact the ABC dont print things they dont want to see.

Although the ABC did print this...

“...Global miner Rio Tinto has cut a deal to sell its Australian coal assets to China's Yancoal for $3.2 billion — if the sale is approved by the Federal Government...”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/rio-tinto-sells-australian-coal-unit-to-chinas-yancoal/8210392

...And you try and discredit my sources of info??? Here's the report on notrickszone: NoTricksZone - Media Bias/Fact Check :cool: [edit]I guess Murdoch eis eyeing them as a potential takeover target ;-)

Heh, I used a reference via your own ‘source’ to show a contradiction..?

...So, Jerry_Atrick, I’m wondering what is the background to this new ‘source’ of yours that critiques No Tricks Zone...?

No Tricks Zone (NTZ) is in the main merely an English language web site that translates and links to German media reports. I guess by default the NTZ site is as reliable as the German media it references..?

If one actually reads the the NTZ article I referenced previously one would note within the links to the original German news articles. With the wonders of google translate yer can then check it..?

Some more from the NTZ article:

“...the Berlin E-bus experiment: the lithium buses run from 8 to 12 a.m., then the diesel vehicles take over...

...Presumably Deutsche Post had to manage a similarly inefficient double fleet of about 13,000 street scooters. The scooters broke down more often and then soon had to be repaired, and replaced by diesel-powered delivery vans...”

https://notrickszone.com/2020/03/14/back-to-reality-electric-mobility-gets-dose-of-shock-therapy-german-swiss-post-to-end-electric-fleet/

Meanwhile, India powers on with coal.....

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, silly thread over 2 % of global CO2 emissions by humans. Silly people who can't do maths.

As for Student Pilot, tell us all about your science and engineering studies mate. Do you actually know anything about nuclear power? Or did you just read an alarmist book or articleand are now an authority?

Properly reprocessed, nuclear waste is less radioactive than the rocks you mined it from in 600 years. Newer reactor designs actually can use it as fuel or simply burn it up. We also live on a continent with vast geologically stable areas, unfit for human use except for strip mining and keeping the coasts apart.

In case all the Green idiots are about to find out what their Green Utopia looks like due to the collapse of the West's economies because of the totalitarian Chinese Communist virus (please don't call it COVid 19 as that is what the WHO calls it because they are owned by the Chinese Communist. They bought the WHO and its boss fair and square - I hope they paid more than you can but Australian politicians for).

I don't think very many people will find it palatable.

mike you can attack or make fun of just about anything, including the Virus, but experience has shown me you cannot present facts and rational argument about global warming. I have given up trying.

• Like 1

...but experience has shown me you cannot present facts and rational argument about global warming...

Yep. You got that right.

Cults have their fundamental beliefs and anyone who asks a question about those beliefs has a finger pointed at them and is called a DENIER.

No discussion is permitted...

If you add 2% vy volume of water to a full glass, it will overflow... Although manmade sources of carbon dioxide are low, they have been spewing it since the industrial revolution and the rate of how per volume we add is increasing. I am not a scientist, but the consensus is that it has been a delicate balance and we are tipping the scales. But even if it wasn;t the case, and mother nature ran rampant, then wouldn't it be in our best interest to use our efforts to preserve our way of life than accelerate destroying it? I guess lots of people have a death wish for themselves or their generations to come. Whn you combine that with the gradual deforestation that further limits the earth's ability to absorb our folly, well, you get the idea. Or do you know more than almost every scientist looking at the evidence and data.

Bindi - more carp.. I haven't disputed China and given you evidence that the rest of the world (India excepted) are moving away from coal. But all you come up is with the same crap. China manufactures stuff and is increasing the use of coal. Great - tell us something we don't know, like how the rest of the world is on a net basis embracing coal further (because, it isn't). Oh, of course, it must be the ABC's fault, too.. Very tough and convincing words. Nothing to rebuke the distoritions in the Chinese market, economy or politics, not the fact that most if the new coal plants largely lay idle as it is to keep short term jobs going..

Oh.. and criticising the ABC - or me as getting my sources from the ABC, I don't recall quoting anything from the ABC, but if they presented the facts or I came across them, I would have no shame in doing so. Bashing the ABC (or the BBC) are simply easy words when they present the facts that disagree with you. And, I can't recall the ABC to have to fomally apologise for getting things wrong too many times amid the flurry of accusations of false or bias reporting they get on an almost per second basis. Unfortunately, pollies, trolls and those who incorrectly assert the ABC get it wrong most the time are not held to the same level of accountability than the ABC.. I guess it is a blessing in disguise as the resultant formal apologies to the ABC would be adding to CO2 at an alarming rate.

Mike, are you saying the way to go is nuclear? Then it isn't coal... Excellent! As I mentioned, should Australia decide to go nuclear, I will be there as Lucas Heights just didn't have enough jobs going and is the reason I left Australia (after a couple of years in Coal generation at Hazelwood and Morwell and in mining before that);. Worked in the nuclear industry for 15 years and about to re-enter it (hopefully). The newest technology is better than the previous (as you mention); as is renewables technology ... I guess its called progress!

Mind you, it aint all that clean.. even if you go SMR, you need oodles of concrete... But there is no such thing as a free ride and all forms (even renewables) have a carbon footprint of some kind.. the point is, like internal combustion engines have developed largely led by EU requiring less and less emmissions, they squeeze more out of using less.. isn't that what we want to do - in this case using less coal and more CO2 efficient technologies?

Cheers guys, fun talking with you..

• Like 4

Flight shaming' and the ethics of recreational flying?

Far as I can see the thread is entirely on topic.

If yer want to understand WHY somebody might have “shame” about flying then yer need to get back to the basics of where that mind-set came from - and is the mind-set justified. Perhaps there were just a bit of ‘panic buying’ of a media doomsday message..? ...or, perhaps there are other reasons...?

The first one needed "Obedience " training !.

On it's third flight it just went up. UP and away, never to be seen again,

SO payed $50 and bought another with "altitude hold " Came with two batteries, and camera.

If the wind, Rain, and DOGS aren't around I may have another flight.

spacesailor

• Like 1