Latest OzRunways

If you use the ADSBPi device that was on the Ozrunwsys website a while ago you don't need premium to get ADSB paints.

That was the case prior to OR8, can't confirm now as I have premium.

Mike

• Informative 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested that there should be an option to print out the flight plan with blanks for items depending on last minute entry of winds, which could then be downloaded pre takeoff and the missing boxes written in. I got a very curt reply, they were not interested.

• Like 1

I suggested à system like google maps driving instructions where you can hit the standby/off button and the screen goes black (saving battery and reducing heat) but the app is still running. One more click and everything appears as per normal and up to date.

Perhaps in apple devices it will run in the background but in android you need the app on and visible to keep your position visible to others.

As per other posts, no interest whatsoever.....yet alot of people say heat and battery usage are major problems.

Never heard of this, Kevin. Their site promised I could read reviews, but none delivered. 

Can you tell us more about this ap?

The web site is airmate.aero and you can download the app from Google play or apple store. It has the latest charts, ersa, notams, & weather (metar, Taf, Sigmet etc). There are also radar & rain overlays. Creating plans is easy by entering aerodromes in an edit screen or selecting from the VNC or where there is no VNC it has the geo map in the same scale. You can create waypoints etc by moving the magenta line to wherever you like. It runs on my phone & on a cheap $80.00 10 inch tablet I got at Aldi a couple of years ago. Put your aircraft details in & it will provide flight tracking if you are in cellphone range so people at home can track you if you want. Keeps a flight log & it can update your flight log if you want. 

I also use XCSoar which is a Gliding app (free also) but I just entered all my aircraft parameters & it is super simple to use. Just ignore all the gliding stuff.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I found the updated version today when sticky breaking at the camera views on the coast ( dreaming how nice it would be to duck over for a quick trip)

I didn’t mind the runway diagram with current wind directions at fields where available, it could help set you up for arrival in correct direction, as long as it is accurate. I assume the data is from atis, or awis.

quick tap on the field for the details is handy if a detour is needed.

my hardest task is getting the weight and balance chart correct. I had the 182 re weighed for the first time ( for accuracy). Guy who weighed it had done its original one way back in 63 when it was new.

hopefully now I can enter all the fields accurately and not have a line dashing off the screen telling me it won’t fly right.

cheers

clinton

I have been talking to Avplan and looking at their stuff.

Talking about integration of both live tracking from both companies it seems Avplan are quite happy to do it but Oz runways said not because its a commercial decision and dont even respond now to Avplan. This is stupidity in my book. Its also a safety issue. Only being able to see one app users aircraft is silly. The ADSB in on Ozrunways is not available unless you get the premium subscription but it is standard for the base version of Avplan and it works on a lot of ADSB devices available.

You can turn off a lot of those "never use in a million years" features in Avplan but only a few in Ozrunways. You get 3 devices on Avplan and they can be either IOS or Android it doesnt matter...not sure if its like this on OzR

The Android version of Avplan is apparently pretty much the same as the IOS version not hobbled or developed like in OzR

I have been looking at tablets and to have a android one with decent ram and cellular is about 500 bucks by the look of it but much cheaper with just wifi so you could hotspot to your phone but thats just another complication I would rather one with a sim card.

I need to replace my no longer working Ipad and been trying to decide which way to jump. I think I will just bite the bullet and stick with IOS but I will dload the trial of Avplan and see what its like and what stuff I can turn off in it to make it dumb for me. Any software you can use that doesnt require hours of reading the manual is good software. So I will get it on and just see how it rolls. I just paid my OzR subscription in early december so most of that will be dumped I suppose if I decide to jump ship.

I got a email in response from Avplan to my email to them over the weekend and the information has been excellent and fast..very impressed if that is the standard of response times

On another matter when I was talking about the ADSB with them I mentioned about now being able to use non certified ADSB as CASA has approved this but the equipment has not been forthcoming. Avplan said that CASA are looking at this little gem called Sky Echo  https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/  it is approved in the UK now and it does ADSB in and out. The range is about 40km and mainly for aircraft to aircraft it also can do FLARM so fantastic if you fly around Glider airfields like I do. Its 500 pound so about 850 bucks... I would pay that..it will come up on Avplan and OzR as a normal ADSB contact but only when you are inrange of the ADSB in device you are using.

So the upshot is I will get a new Ipad and trial Avplan and see what I think...and if its easier than OzR which after watching the videos on Avplan it may just be a lot better so will give OzR the flick

• Informative 1

This is what I read on the cross database stuff ..it certainly seems that OzR is the problem with it   https://avsoftinc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000163435-Sharing-Traffic-Data-w-Apps?fbclid=IwAR0IxHAxyjF6SxnC9hCiz7hgxdyU2SrmV1vV5dqLlJ7O8SbIpK37t_TOkOc

At Narromine last year (2019) during an Ozrunways masterclass, Ozrunways said they would not share data with Avplan because they where so much bigger (around 80% of the market). Avplan was keen to share but  ozrunways rejected it. Very short sighted IMO.

• Agree 3

This is where our supposed "SAFETY" regulator steps in and makes the children play nicely together.... 

All data (OR, Avplan, airservices and flight radar) could be gathered and sanitised, then redistributed..... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

This is where our supposed "SAFETY" regulator steps in and makes the children play nicely together.... 

All data (OR, Avplan, airservices and flight radar) could be gathered and sanitised, then redistributed..... 

The supposed “SAFETY” regulator already has and it’s based on several lifetimes of experience. To perform to it you have to make your electronics work.

• More 1

Never heard of this, Kevin. Their site promised I could read reviews, but none delivered. 

Can you tell us more about this ap?

Just downloaded it to my Samsung tablet. I'll have a play and report back. Only took a minute to setup and activate.

• Informative 1

I have been talking to Avplan and looking at their stuff.

Talking about integration of both live tracking from both companies it seems Avplan are quite happy to do it but Oz runways said not because its a commercial decision and dont even respond now to Avplan. This is stupidity in my book. Its also a safety issue. Only being able to see one app users aircraft is silly. The ADSB in on Ozrunways is not available unless you get the premium subscription but it is standard for the base version of Avplan and it works on a lot of ADSB devices available.

You can turn off a lot of those "never use in a million years" features in Avplan but only a few in Ozrunways. You get 3 devices on Avplan and they can be either IOS or Android it doesnt matter...not sure if its like this on OzR

The Android version of Avplan is apparently pretty much the same as the IOS version not hobbled or developed like in OzR

I have been looking at tablets and to have a android one with decent ram and cellular is about 500 bucks by the look of it but much cheaper with just wifi so you could hotspot to your phone but thats just another complication I would rather one with a sim card.

I need to replace my no longer working Ipad and been trying to decide which way to jump. I think I will just bite the bullet and stick with IOS but I will dload the trial of Avplan and see what its like and what stuff I can turn off in it to make it dumb for me. Any software you can use that doesnt require hours of reading the manual is good software. So I will get it on and just see how it rolls. I just paid my OzR subscription in early december so most of that will be dumped I suppose if I decide to jump ship.

I got a email in response from Avplan to my email to them over the weekend and the information has been excellent and fast..very impressed if that is the standard of response times

On another matter when I was talking about the ADSB with them I mentioned about now being able to use non certified ADSB as CASA has approved this but the equipment has not been forthcoming. Avplan said that CASA are looking at this little gem called Sky Echo  https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/  it is approved in the UK now and it does ADSB in and out. The range is about 40km and mainly for aircraft to aircraft it also can do FLARM so fantastic if you fly around Glider airfields like I do. Its 500 pound so about 850 bucks... I would pay that..it will come up on Avplan and OzR as a normal ADSB contact but only when you are inrange of the ADSB in device you are using.

So the upshot is I will get a new Ipad and trial Avplan and see what I think...and if its easier than OzR which after watching the videos on Avplan it may just be a lot better so will give OzR the flick

The supposed “SAFETY” regulator already has and it’s based on several lifetimes of experience. To perform to it you have to make your electronics work.

Did you read the whole thread and not understand the context of my post or just read my post straight up?

Please do tell me where I can see Ozrunways, Avplan, Airservices and Flight radar traffic all on one screen?

• Winner 1

I have been using AvPlan for years, and cannot speak highly enough of the service I have received.

I only use the basic vfr version, and whenever I have needed guidance or had a query, they are available on the phone or call back if they are busy.

I use a Mini iPad 5 with a RAM suction mount, which works for me.

• Like 1

I have been using AvPlan for years, and cannot speak highly enough of the service I have received.

I only use the basic vfr version, and whenever I have needed guidance or had a query, they are available on the phone or call back if they are busy.

I use a Mini iPad 5 with a RAM suction mount, which works for me.

Just received my OR subscription renewal email...... definately tempted to try it at this point.

I have been a staunch and vocal supporter of OzRunways for many years.

I too have asked them numerous times to share data with Avplan so that we can ALL see each other.  Sadly, their ‘commercial decision’ flies in the face of the safety that we require, and that they very easily could provide. 

Avplan have indicated their willingness to work with Ozrunways on many an occasion - an attitude that I admire.

Unless I understand why their ‘commercial decision’ is more important than our safety, I will not be renewing my subscription this year.

• Like 3

I just paid my OzR subs in December...oh well chalk another bunch of money to dead dollars if I go with Avplan which is looking more likely

Perhaps we could send a concerning submission to Matt Hall asking his support and influence in getting this safety issue sorted with the sharing of the live tracking.  Matt has heaps of commonsense and ability so if he supports the enhanced safety aspect of sharing the live tracking between the platforms he could convince them to share.  Just a thought.

• Agree 2

Did you read the whole thread and not understand the context of my post or just read my post straight up?

Please do tell me where I can see Ozrunways, Avplan, Airservices and Flight radar traffic all on one screen?

Yes I did, and also a recent thread where poster after poster was saying they had no probems with the cheap chinese naviagtion equipment.

The point is there are regulations which everyone is required to adhered to, and they're not that hard to understand.

...The point is there are regulations which everyone is required to adhered to, and they're not that hard to understand.

Turbs I'd love you to expand on this cryptic answer. What particular regs are you referring to and how will they allow every pilot access to reasonably reliable traffic info, without costing more than a thousand dollars installation  and expensive annual maintenance? 

• Like 2

I don't think Turbs understands what we are discussing unfortunately. 

The point is there are regulations which everyone is required to adhered to, and they're not that hard to understand

No doubt there were regulations before vhf radios became common and/or compulsory. 

As radio technology developed it became the new "norm" to have one. The skies became safer. 

We are on the same track with having most traffic visually available on a single screen. 

This will add another layer of safety. Will it be perfect? 

No, probably to the same degree the vhf radio system is not perfect. 

Will it be better than what we have existing now? Most definitely! 

The reason casa will not do this is because the "system" is not 100% reliable, overheated ipads, out of range of radar or mobile data etc.