Latest OzRunways

Well Turbs, that's a start. At least now I know you're talking about ADS-B.

It would be nice if every aircraft carried this system, but the price is beyond most of us.

You might remember there was once a proposal that it would be cheaper for the authorities to subsidise every aircraft to fit ADS-B than to upgrade the old primary ATC radar network.

If you have been following what I and others have been saying, there are other, potentially much cheaper and therefore more widely used traffic notification systems. Why not support them?

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Turbs, that's a start. At least now I know you're talking about ADS-B.

It would be nice if every aircraft carried this system, but the price is beyond most of us.

You might remember there was once a proposal that it would be cheaper for the authorities to subsidise every aircraft to fit ADS-B than to upgrade the old primary ATC radar network.

If you have been following what I and others have been saying, there are other, potentially much cheaper and therefore more widely used traffic notification systems. Why not support them?

The reason I used the total regulations previously was to avoid people using my words as an escape, and sure enough as soon as. I referred to ADS-B two of you are off and running, so disregard my reference to ADS-B.

Been playing with Avplan thanks to you guy's.

I like it a lot, their attitude on sharing traffic and displaying adsb traffic is a good reason to change when my subscription runs out on Ozrunways. Both apps are fantastic but if Ozrunways does not want to play the game (share traffic) then we the customers can punish them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Just been working through a plan on the iPad (OR) ;

Screen is now so sensitive its hard to not get a "pop up" - very frustrating.

The "local" camera facility, does not seem to be a stand alone any more. Now comes as part of the nearest airfield (where it may also be located) info. Its about the size of a stamp with multiple tiny views. No longer able to get a large image. Makes it hard to really get a good impression of local conditions.

The "local" camera facility, does not seem to be a stand alone any more. Now comes as part of the nearest airfield (where it may also be located) info. Its about

The "local" camera facility, does not seem to be a stand alone any more. Now comes as part of the nearest airfield (where it may also be located) info. Its about the size of a stamp with multiple tiny views. No longer able to get a large image. Makes it hard to really get a good impression of local conditions.

tap on the camera view you want and it will enlarge

Yep! of course you are correct BUT still a comparatively small image and I dont know if its just my iPad speed now but really slow to load & dismiss.

That’s being done a lot on various software lately, probably to improve speed but the result is none of the images are useable.

• 2 weeks later...

As an AvPlan user I can't comment re OzRunways (I switched years ago). But I find AvPlan fairly intuitive. The display is easy to read. And they are incredibly responsive if you do have a query. It's working well on my Android phone as well as on my iPad.

• Agree 1

I picked up the iPad on Saturday morning to plan a short trip and found the new route planning page quite confusing. When I brought up the old-style one leg-one line plan and imported the winds, the wind direction imported made no sense and was contrary to that shown on Windy. When I left the iPad home and flew the route from memory it confirmed that Windy was spot-on. Anyone else had this happen?

As another "old fart" (or at least aging), and a VFR only flier, I also am feeling that OzRunways is going the way of Windows 10 - Lots of whiz-bang stuff that is 80+% unused and only confuses the core role of flight planning and flight following.

I support the call for an OzRunways Lite.

It’s taken me a little while to get the hang of it, too, but I think I have it sorted.

It does seem to take extra steps to get where the previous version arrived straight away and I guess its Cranked up design Is a little bit about having the shiniest new toy on the block.

But I still love OR so I’ll keep on persevering.

I love my old Garmin 295, too ?

(Note the GS, guys...I thought the dear old thing had been supercharged)

EC0DFF34-333C-4277-8FAC-23FFEA40E5B5.thumb.jpeg.2a2218d95c0d644a1910466dbb11e498.jpeg

Edited by kaz3g
  • Like 1

Guest Machtuk

It’s taken me a little while to get the hang of it, too, but I think I have it sorted.

It does seem to take extra steps to get where the previous version arrived straight away and I guess its Cranked up design Is a little bit about having the shiniest new toy on the block.

Yeah 138 kph not too bad...lololol

Cruising in the yellow arc shows a good turn of speed there for that bus?

...This seems to be the "marketer's disease" that more features need to be added with each release to keep sales going... "feature-itis...

I used AppleWorks for years. This integrated suit of programs allowed me to share data between the Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database, Paint, Draw and communication layers. This simple to use and totally integrated package did everything I needed to do and came on -wait for it- two floppy discs. I miss its simplicity and reliability, but Apple has killed it off.

Edited by Old Koreelah

I lashed out and got a android device...was cheap on MarketPlace :) loaded both onto the android and compared....I dont like the android versions at all. Less responsive and didnt seem to work the same so think I will stick to the ipad.

Android will be commissioned to some ham radio stuff that I do and so happens is not available for Ipad or at least thrown into my flight bag as a emergency backup

Havent had much chance to work on either program this past week and a bit..things have been a bit full on during the day and night. Just finished the MPC exams and emailed them off so thats hopefully out of my hair now and I can get back to playing with both EFB.

I have no experience of OzR.

I have to say AvP is fundamental to my flying now. It’s been absolutely brilliant. I have one issue at the mo and that’s the syncing of the two iPads - I’ve been unable to master it so far ... but I will!

Guest Machtuk

Either will do the job. I personally use OzRwy's as I like its intuative usage but each to their own. You can spend huge dollars on fancy glass panels that OzRwy's mostly does for a fraction of the cost?

I use Avplan and I have tried Oz Runways, but decided to stick with Avplan because that is what I was used to. I really think either will work well and what you know is easier to stick with. I never tried talking to Oz Runways about problems, so have no idea how they go. I have always been impressed with Avplans help, even when it was with problems other than their program.

• 3 months later...

I have relied on OzRunways for years and last night I learned quite a bit from the RAAus online lesson with Andrew Boniface. After the session I tried to practise some of the new tricks and found the versions of app on my iPhone and iPad were different. An email to OzRunways was answered next morning. Seems my old faithful iPad will soon have to be replaced, because the forthcoming version of the app will be the last they can provide for older versions of iOS.

I shouldn't complain, because this old iPad has performed flawlessly for over eight years, totally replacing the $2,000 laptops I had to buy every three years.

It's taken meeting minutes for several organisations, written mobs of letters, Facetimed heaps of family and friends, made regular phone calls, taken and stored thousands of videos and photos, sorted all my banking, played numerous movies and YouTube videos, controlled my GoPro, navigated my car and plane, answered untold questions, helped with calculations, got me tickets on planes and trains, paid my bills and bought me clothes, tools, spare parts...

It's also kept me in regular contact with heaps of interesting and helpful people in forums like this.

All that for $700 plus a few dollars a month connection fee. We are a lucky generation.

Auster? why does it have a label about a nose wheel lock on the dash?

Does anyone know how to watch a recording of the RAAus Aus Runways chat from Wednesday night? I was not able to make it to watch it live but would still like to learn what they had to show? Seems if you missed the show you miss out?

Does anyone know how to watch a recording of the RAAus Aus Runways chat from Wednesday night? I was not able to make it to watch it live but would still like to learn what they had to show? Seems if you missed the show you miss out?

• Like 1