Mangalore incident today (19/2/2020)

RoD is one thing but your forward speed comes into it as well. At least a spin will be at a certain forward speed and RoD that is predictable and known for a particular type and would be a preferred option to a spiral where the speed could be off the clock.. A near stall, power off glide would be close to the same RoD but probably slightly better and can be into wind. Flying at stall, or slightly below is possible but will be a worse L/D so have a higher sink rate. and risk loss of control.Nev

My aircraft has a tendency to drop a wing and my feet are not fast enough to catch it, so I'd rather avoid that airspeed.

However I love side slipping to wash off excess height, but the aeroplane gets very out of shape.

What's the worst that can happen if I keep above stall in a side slip?

their seats are designed to absorb 20+ G impact forces,

I think that depends on whether the seats a designed to withstand 20G or absorb 20G. Big difference...

I see many helicopter seats that designed to absorb the load making the vertical impact more survivable.

I'm fairly sure there are some design criteria for this on a certified aircraft. You could reasonably assume that all bets are off in regards to seat survivability on experimental aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

A quick re read shows a bit of thread drift at the end. The final report is out

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2020/aair/ao-2020-012/

I was wondering if the fact that neither aircraft had ADS-B in (traffic on a screen), the important bit, would be mentioned. It was

While the pilots were responsible for self-separation within the Mangalore CTAF area, they did not have access to radar or automatic dependent surveillance broadcast (ADS-B) information. As a result, the pilots were required to make timely decisions to avoid a collision without the best available information.

And.

The ATSB also strongly encourages the fitment of ADS‑B transmitting, receiving and display devices as they significantly assist the identification and avoidance of conflicting traffic. The continuous positional information that ADS‑B provides can highlight a developing situation many minutes before it becomes hazardous – a significant improvement on both point‑in‑time radio traffic advice and ‘see‑and‑avoid’. The ATSB also notes that ADS‑B receivers, suitable for use on aircraft operating under both the instrument or visual flight rules, are currently available within Australia at low cost and can be used in aircraft without any additional regulatory approval or expense

• Informative 2

The chances of colliding mid-air would be so remote it’s hard to believe this even happened. I still can’t believe CG is gone😞

such a tragic accident which shook up so many of us in those circles😞

Edited by Flightrite

Like Woody Allen said, I don’t mind dying I just don’t want to be there when it happens. I don’t have a parachute to save my life. I have a parachute so I don’t have to cope with sitting around while I plummet to the ground. One of those pilots worked for Peter at Foxbat Australia and was going to take over the business.