How do I remember when to change frequencies?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive Just done my second nav so by no means a master. I find a combination of time and visual reference helps. I write the sequence of frequencies in the margin of the plan as they would come based on your. Trip. it Is also a good way of knowing what to set the next frequency too. Then just use time and visual references on your chart to know.

Do you guys still use RNC charts ? I always found them quite useful. . . do the Aussies still produce RNC charts for the plebs,. . or do you have to be a Freemason to obtain them ? I used to do quite a lot of Night flying,. . .until I finally got my I/R. . .and then they were even MORE useful. . .( Oddly enough )

Jus' wundrin'. . .

Edited by Phil Perry
  • Haha 1

I found RNCs very useful . . . A chart with very little topography, and a lovely network of ten watt 'Transistorised' NDBs, PLUS VORs & DMEs to play with. . .with added foreign shortwave musical entertainment in the early evenings . . .what's not to like ? ? ? Was fun until some smartar$e Git invented SatNav and at a stroke, consigned to the dustbin of history the 'Paper' navigator and the precise skills which went with him ( ! )

Of course, this method of navigation by GPS also ended the perennial reports of 'Airspace Infringement' didn't it ? ? :roflmao:

( I still have lots of old Aussie charts in the attic. . .wonder if some museum would like them. . .)

• Like 1

Of course, this method of navigation by GPS also ended the perennial reports of 'Airspace Infringement' didn't it ? ? :roflmao:

......and a steady flow of fuel exhaustions as people try to unlose themselves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What I have taken from this discussion is *highlighter tape*. It is not at office works, but transparent, removable sticky tape is. So, I will be able to write on my chart in different colours of permanent marker, and then remove them after the flight! (I will continue with the PPPPPPPPPPPPP, writing on the map, and writing on the flight plan) Thanks! Highlighter tape is on Amazon.

• Like 1

I write on the back of my navigation plan with the frequencies for each leg and the alternates for quick reference. A bunch of stuff is in there like runway orientation length and altitude. Takes ages but at least I read the ERSA entries and NOTAMs. I add an extra line for FIA changes

• Like 1

There was another bloke on here a while ago, Roger Ramjet I think he called himself, who was having the same problem. I think he was in Canberra too. Same instructor I wonder?

Damn, that's been my pseudonym for numerous sites!!

Have you had that happen? I often asked for flight following and it is rare to have it refused....

I’ve never had it refused and use it 4/5 of my longer flights. Always with a flight plan in the system. Since the Mangalore accident they’ve been extremely vocal about potential traffic conflicts which is nice I think ?

• Like 1

Have you had that happen? I often asked for flight following and it is rare to have it refused....

Only works if there’s RADAR coverage. No good out in the sticks.

I used VFR Fight Following back in the day quite a lot. Was very handy when transiting high density traffic areas, and of course, they hand you to the next controller if required.

ADSB has the same sort of limitations as RADAR. Unless there’s a station within range, it’s useless. Yes, these days you can get ADSB-IN/OUT instrumentation, but not many planes have that feature. If you’re using an EFB, it’s useless unless you have phone coverage. (Unless my understanding is way off the mark).