Cessna incident (unconfirmed) at Batchelor NT, Feb 29 2020. Anybody heard anything?

I heard (second hand) that a Cessna went down on Saturday at my former airfield, Batchelor NT. Thankfully no fatalities...

I saw a photo of a crashed aircraft in the scrub. It looked quite a bad wreck. I was told it was the skydiving aircraft that operates there weekends. Pilot very luckily survived and is hospitalized. It was apparently returning from a drop so thankfully nobody else on board. The accident happened on approach...

No news in the media yet. If this accident is confirmed I hope the pilot is well and will recover fully.... If this report is true it will be good to learn more about what happened.

Alan

Edited by red750
  • Like 2

There's nothing on social media, the NT Police/FES have no reports about any crash. The NT News paper would be right onto any crash - there's nothing.

I reckon someone came across a report of a previous crash from years ago, and didn't look at the date.

We have a bloke on this thread here, who's done that! (no names mentioned, to save embarrassment! - he tried to tell us all, a big twin had gone down, when it was an ultralight!) :cheezy grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G'Day Onetrack

I wouldnt want to spread unsubstantiated rumours about air incidents.

I experienced in one myself a couple of years ago, so would not post with out being fairly certain. I wouldnt just repeat heresay from non-aviators. I first heard about this incident from a senior flying instructor, saw a photo taken by another flight instructor who circled overhead the wreck and have just confirmed on the phone with a third independent source -another senior flying instructor.

There is a wrecked Cessna about a mile short of the runway at Batchelor. Apparently it went in nose first (stall?) and the pic I saw showed a pretty bad wreck. Its a miracle it didnt burn. The pilot apparently sustained injuries and is in hospital.... Its the Sky Diving club Cessna.

No idea why this story has not made the media which is why I asked in my first post. Perhaps there are circumstances we are not aware of? (Notifying the pilots family or something?)

Lets just hope the pilot makes a full recovery.... there may be lessons to be learned, but they can come later.

If this incident is reported by ATSB would be interested to see it.

Alan

The story is true it was a skydiving operation engine out on a 206 pilot alive with a few bumps and bruises. Stalled it into the trees tail first canopy not enough to hold it up so buried it’s nose in the dirt

Aldo

• Like 1

It is obvious then, that the pilot wasn't badly enough injured, to need emergency services attendance, nor hospital or doctor treatment - because, if any one of those services was called or involved, there'd be a lot of questions being asked, and authorities being notified. If the aircraft is a VH-registered aircraft, and it is very badly damaged, I would think the pilot is still obliged to make an aviation incident report.

Hi Aldo

Not disputing your account, but the information I have suggests the pilots injuries may be more serious and he is hospitalised. The picture of the wreck I saw was of a bad crash, wings off and whole fuselage badly compressed and twisted by vertical impact. I have heard more detailed information which out of respect for those involved will remain private for now until confirmed by media or official reports.

The emergency services attended the scene.

They must do things differently in the Territory. When the emergency services attend an incident in any other State, the media is right up with them, eager for a major "news flash" - and when someone is badly injured, the Police attend as well, to find out if criminality is involved. And the Police post the incident on their news feed. I get the impression the NT Police are overwhelmed with violence offences, driving offences, and road crashes - and have little time to attend to much else.

Edited by onetrack

Onetrack

I wasn’t at the scene. I’m not a witness and these things are often exaggerated. Personally I like the version of events given by Aldo far better than what I was told, and hope it is right.

Let’s just hope for the best.

Alan

• Informative 1

Hi Aldo

Not disputing your account, but the information I have suggests the pilots injuries may be more serious and he is hospitalised. The picture of the wreck I saw was of a bad crash, wings off and whole fuselage badly compressed and twisted by vertical impact. I have heard more detailed information which out of respect for those involved will remain private for now until confirmed by media or official reports.

The emergency services attended the scene.

NT5224

Yes the pilot works for a company that a good mate of mine is the chief pilot (based in Qld not the parachuting operation he was flying for on the day) he showed me the photos of the aircraft and the pilots injuries and also asked me not to give any more information than I have done. The pilot as you know is ok, he is in hospital for treatment but will recover fully from what I've been told.

Both of us were surprised that the injuries were not far worse.

Aldo