Yesterday I tried, from a cold start, opening the throttle a few seconds after the engine started with choke, and sure enough it stopped. 

In nearly 20 years of avgas, I had fallen into the habit of opening the throttle early on to get the revs over 1000 when the engine runs much smoother than with the 600 rpm idle I have it set to. Not once did it cause the engine to stop, so this is the only difference between mogas and avgas I have noticed so far.

The slow idle is in order to shorten the ground run after landing, and yes it is marginal. But on a warmed up engine, there is no more tendancy for stoppage than before the change to mogas.

So thanks again guys for the help.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jab and Bing were developed in the days that we were limited to 5k feet, so it all worked out nicely, thanks very much.  Now we have 10k feet and where you lean a LyCon carb  above 5k,  we never v

Topical 😁

Yesterday I tried, from a cold start, opening the throttle a few seconds after the engine started with choke, and sure enough it stopped.  In nearly 20 years of avgas, I had fallen into the habit

Posted Images

Older Motorcycles show the same symptoms with the modern mogas. You have to "tickle" the float or they won't even fire when warm sometimes. . Some motors have hand priming with a plunger pump on the dash. Puts you back in charge (of the charge). Nev