Two plans close to airspace boundaries

Bruce Tuncks

I admit to being a coward with respect to airspace at Gawler. For most of my life, I have departed to the NE and avoided the boundaries by miles. Well in a glider, if you find a thermal near an airspace boundary, the wind will blow you out for sure.

But now that I have an Ozrunways thing, plus being retired, I am planning to: Firstly, fly from Gawler to the east ( Rowland Flat ) and then down to the Lyall McEwin hospital which is just short of the Parafield control zone and just east of the Edinburgh R65A zone. Height for the second leg is 4,500 reducing to 2,500 abeam the South Para reservoir ( the 20 DME line ).

The other flight is to the NW. Gawler/Wasleys/Pinery/Avon/Wallaroo/Shoalwater Point/ Cummins.

This starts in R233A up to 2,500 ft and then goes, just north of Roseworthy, to R255 which is surface to 1500 ft. If R255 is inactive, the airspace is R334, which goes from 1500 to 4500 ft. At Pinery, we enter R265B, which starts at 3,500 ft.

So, the plan is to check if R255 is active, and if it is not, to go around Roseworthy at less than 2,500 ft, then climb to 3000 ft and go to Avon. After Avon, climb to 10,000 ft on the way to Wallaroo, to have a safe height over the 27mn of ocean ( 13.5 to land at the middle, making a glide angle of 1:8.1 if the engine stopped right there).

From Shoalwater Point to Cummins will be downhill with no airspace restrictions that I can see.

Is there anybody out there who likes maps and airspace stuff who could have a look at these plans and comment? I would be grateful, as I am capable of reading this stuff wrongly .

Guest Machtuk

I luv flying close/ parallel, to a boundary, I can almost feel the controller staring hard at his scope one finger poised on the R/T trigger??

I luv flying close/ parallel, to a boundary, I can almost feel the controller staring hard at his scope one finger poised on the R/T trigger??

We were on a visit to Tullamarine Tower one night and a guy called overhead Eildon Reservoir. The ATC guy grinnned and said “Here he is 100 Nm west of it.

I went to an Airservices presentation once.....The RAAF guys were good and easygoing, the Airservices guy though seem to believe that he owned the sky. He told us of an event where someone was close to airspace, but not in it then used the excuse that it tied up three controllers because they were all worried the aircraft might penetrate. I would like to believe our controllers are more professional than his story.....someone please tell me they are smarter than that.

I went to an Airservices presentation once.....The RAAF guys were good and easygoing, the Airservices guy though seem to believe that he owned the sky. He told us of an event where someone was close to airspace, but not in it then used the excuse that it tied up three controllers because they were all worried the aircraft might penetrate. I would like to believe our controllers are more professional than his story.....someone please tell me they are smarter than that.

They are, but then you have things like the Avalon Airshow making a pause while a Cessna 172 flew straight over the spectators on his way to who knows where. If you check the annual incursions you can see why they're sitting on razor blade, but at a meeting like that they're probably preaching to the innocent.

They are, but then you have things like the Avalon Airshow making a pause while a Cessna 172 flew straight over the spectators on his way to who knows where. If you check the annual incursions you can see why they're sitting on razor blade, but at a meeting like that they're probably preaching to the innocent.

Yes, but surely it only takes the one looking after that section to observe, all the others don't have to ignore their jobs to "come and check this out", and tracking along the edge is somewhat different to flying directly into airspace.

Guest Machtuk

I've delt with ATC in various countries, flown here LSA thru to heavy metal, I've seen/heard it all! Some are helpful understanding others are just downright out on a power trip, all in Australia the worst ATC system I've experienced!

How awful of us to judge everybody by the worst example out there. This applies to ATC people as well as us pilots.

But one guy I knew could change from nice to nasty when you were not even there, so he always caught me unawares. I would go in , expecting him to be nasty, with my retorts worked out, and he would be nice and friendly.

But I agree that some occupations attract bullies. ATC and parking inspectors and jail guards come to mind. However the only jail guard I know is a good guy! He really tries to council his "clients". Confusing huh.