Portable Transporation

Hi All,

With the new age of light weight electric bicycles and scooters, has anybody had any experience with them being utilized as transport between a destination Airfield and the local Pub?

Lots of them now can achieve 25kph for up to 60km duration - more than enough I would have thought?

Are we now far enough down the road to feel the batteries are safe during transit >A010.

If so, I'd love your suggestions on which ones you have, or are using.

p.s. - Two weeks isolation = 2 weeks of flying?? Bring it on!

Geoff.

• Like 1

Hi All,

With the new age of light weight electric bicycles and scooters, has anybody had any experience with them being utilized as transport between a destination Airfield and the local Pub?

Lots of them now can achieve 25kph for up to 60km duration - more than enough I would have thought?

Are we now far enough down the road to feel the batteries are safe during transit >A010.

If so, I'd love your suggestions on which ones you have, or are using.

p.s. - Two weeks isolation = 2 weeks of flying?? Bring it on!

Geoff.

I bought a folding bike with 5 gears. It was second hand but unused, for $90 off Gumtree.

The carry bag it came in was a bit light, so I made up a more substantial rounded zipped bag for it and it fits nicely on the passenger seat of my J-120 Jabiru, with the seat belt around it.

It has to be in the correct orientation as there is a few different ways it can fit, but only one way where it wont interfere with the throttle or joystick.

Never needed the electric version as I always feel the benefit of the pedalling exercise!

I can now fly to Triabunna (on the east coast of Tasmania) for fish+chips and not have to call an uber or taxi for the trip to the wharf?

WBY

• Like 4

I have a Segway Ninebot scooter. Does 25 Kph for about 12 km. Further if use economy mode. Weighs 12kg and about 1200mm long. Only legal on the road in QLD unfortunately. I don’t know how, but someone here managed to get something right.

Well for now, we in Australia can go flying. Gliding Clubs may not meet the social distancing criteria due to their collectivist nature. A Seniors contest was held in the USA recently with great attendance but they avoided the briefings by doing them on the net. A great idea that I suggested some years ago should be adopted routinely.

Several European countries have banned VFR flights entirely. Italy, Norway and the State of Bavaria (don't know how they did that as I'd have thought access to airspace was a federal matter)

Stay tuned, I'm sure our government and or CASA will stuff it up.

Flight instruction has been stopped too, so if you need a renewal of any kind you are out of luck and the qualification will expire. Apparently this causes difficulty in re-acquiring in Europe so German Aero Club is making a proposal:

Due to the measures against the spread of the corona virus, which include cancellation of refresher seminars for flight instructors and flight operations, some pilots cannot renew their authorizations in time. This is fatal, because expired authorizations have to be acquired with great effort. EASA has now developed a proposal for national authorities.

For this situation, the DAeC has therefore asked the Federal Ministry of Transport (BMVI) to approve an exemption rule for affected pilots and to extend the deadlines. The BMVI has signaled that it will find pragmatic solutions for this exceptional case together with the responsible authorities.

Last Tuesday, EASA already made a proposal for exemptions that are in line with Article 71 (1) of Regulation (EU) 2018/1139. All EU countries can follow these exemptions. They extend the validity of assessments, certificates and medical certificates for flight personnel, pilots, flight instructors, inspectors, maintenance personnel, air traffic controllers and flight doctors until the preventive measures against an exponential spread of the Corona virus no longer take effect. EASA has already forwarded the proposal to the competent national authorities.

=================

Mike

I have a Segway Ninebot scooter. Only legal on the road in QLD unfortunately. I don’t know how, but someone here managed to get something right.

You can thank Brett Walton (Segway dealer on the Gold Coast) and Transport Minister Scott Emerson. In 2013 they got together to have the legislation passed. For some time, police were using Segways at Southbank. I suspect this aspect had a lot to do with letting the rest of us use them publicly. The original Segway weighs about 55-60 kgs, so a bit awkward to stuff into your plane.

The scooter is much smaller than the original Segway. The legislation permitting their use on roads and footpaths was in December 2018 according to the Road Use Management Act. I only bought mine once the legislation was in place.