How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

More and more we see the beat-up statistics...?

“...Counting of the dead in Austria

The government revealed this secret at a press conference on Thursday. Do you also count as a corona dead if you are infected with the virus but died of something else?

Yes, say Rudi Anschober and Bernhard Benka, a member of the Corona Task Force in the Ministry of Health. "There is a clear rule at the moment: Died with the coronavirus or the coronavirus," Benka explains. All these cases are included in the statistics...”

https://www.heute.at/s/osterreich-bei-corona-todesstatistik-sehr-liberal-48665863

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's report on the National Cabinet Meeting, by the Prime Minister and details of the Modelling work which Australia is using explained by the Chief Medical Officer, Australia, Professor Brendan Murphy.

Video not working. Any other links ?

I wonder at the reason to stop private flying. What if you just went for a solo flight and came back to the same airfield?

I guess that they want you to stay at home, but gosh if you didn't see anybody else at the airfield then I fail to see any risk to anybody.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

But when Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos was asked about it at a press conference, she said driving lessons were not essential.

"There are only four good reasons to leave home and that doesn't include taking your child on a driver learning experience," she said.

"Unless you're driving to the supermarket with them to pick up your weekly groceries, you should be staying at home.

With respect to the Minister, there are more than 4 reasons as can be seen at

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/202003/Stay%20at%20Home%20Directions%20.pdf

Unfortunately , there is no provision for maintaining property (hangars) and chattels subject to Deterioration (aircraft) Unless it is an emergency.

I just clicked on the one in your post and it worked.

I tried the link again and no go. At any rate, I found Professor Murphy doing the presentation on the ABC news site.

Professor Murphy makes the point that they are basing their ‘worst case’ graphs on overseas data. You can only work with the info yer got.

As we are finding out the overseas data is now proving hugely overblown and ill-informed.

I’m thinking Professor Murphy will be offering up revised graphs in the next few days - and he expected as much...?

• Like 1

I can fly with out leaving home, I consider the whole farm to be my home. Can anyone see a problem with this.

Well if you're not leaving the confines of your property, you're following the rules. It'd be damn hard for them to charge you with anything if they have to drive on to your property to do so.

I can fly with out leaving home, I consider the whole farm to be my home. Can anyone see a problem with this.

Come on T88 ......... how many thousands of acres do you own ?

Come on T88 ......... how many thousands of acres do you own ?

I am semi retired now so only 541 acres, plenty for the Thruster but can't operate the musketeer without busting the boundary.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I am semi retired now so only 541 acres, plenty for the Thruster but can't operate the musketeer without busting the boundary.

You’re not trying... :amazon:

• Haha 3

........ if we are grounded till say august 2020 ? (a guess) then RAA will have to allow some mechanism where owners can all go and 'run up' these planes once and a while

its a bit like all the other closed facilities - they need to be maintained for their eventual reuse ?

........ if we are grounded till say august 2020 ? (a guess) then RAA will have to allow some mechanism where owners can all go and 'run up' these planes once and a while

its a bit like all the other closed facilities - they need to be maintained for their eventual reuse ?

RAA is not in control at present due to the powers enacted under the State of Emergency, so that sort of decision would be made by the Chief Medical Officer. Qld Premier talking about it now. Perhaps when an area is clear of the virus it may be quarantined and the people go back to normal. Otherwise life is being protected.

• Agree 1

Nate Silver makes some interesting comments...

“...If you follow me on Twitter, you’ll know I’m constantly going on about how the number of COVID-19 cases is not a very useful indicator of anything — unless you also know something about how tests are being conducted...”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-case-counts-are-meaningless/

• Agree 1

Death counts are likely to be more indicative, although they lag by at least 2-3 weeks.

New York is saying they may need to temporarily bury bodies in mass graves in public parks because they cannot handle the current numbers.

Even then the numbers may be under counted. In New York they say that around 200 people per day are dying at home. Normally it is around 20. These people are not included in the count because they were never diagnosed with COVID-19.

Death counts are likely to be more indicative, although they lag by at least 2-3 weeks.

New York is saying they may need to temporarily bury bodies in mass graves in public parks because they cannot handle the current numbers.

Even then the numbers may be under counted. In New York they say that around 200 people per day are dying at home. Normally it is around 20. These people are not included in the count because they were never diagnosed with COVID-19.

Got some links to these claims ?

Alarming

Considering that an average of 66% of Australia's population lives in 7 coastal cities, and 1 inland city - all with very high population densities, I'd have to say the comparison is quite valid.

Not quite correct. Population density of New York is about 10,000/km2, Barcelona about 16,000/km2, Milan about 7,500/km2 London about 4,500/km2 whereas Melbourne is about 450/km2, Sydney about 400/km2, Adelaide about 400/km2 and Brisbane about 145/km2.

Population density has a lot to do with disease transmission, so the northern hemisphere transmission expectation should only be vaguely related to Australia's.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Under way...

“...Rep. Lance Gooden (R-TX) joined Tuesday’s edition of SiriusXM’s Breitbart News Daily with host Alex Marlow to discuss his proposed legislation to allow the Department of Justice to investigate China for potential release of a biological weapon reaching American soil...”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/07/rep-lance-gooden-allow-doj-investigate-china-coronavirus-bioweapon/

“...President Donald Trump announced Tuesday at the White House that he would put a hold on funding to the World Health Organization amid the coronavirus crisis.

“They were wrong about a lot of things,” Trump said...”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/07/donald-trump-announces-hold-on-world-health-organization-funding/

Hi Thruster88

Im in a similar situation to you. My block is a bit larger than yours and I could fly wholly within my boundaries, but Ive decided not to fly at present unless there is a genuine reason to do so. ( Going shopping or a medical emergency etc...). Im following government advice for now.

My current view is that if everybody follows their own interpretation of what is best for the country, then a coordinated response becomes impossible. Some of us may view purely recreational flying as 'essential', but then our neighbours might decide that whatever they want to do should also be categorized 'essential', and then everybody is doing whatever they want.

Personally I dont think now is the time for us to be testing how far we can push the letter of the law and what we can get away with. We need to come together as a community. As aviators and aircraft owners we enjoy extraordinary priviledges and I would prefer to lead by example.

However, having said the above, there actually is a bizarre reason why I might have to fly.

The Territory government has drawn an internal 14 day quarantine boundary through my property between my home and my front gate (my access to a sealed road). If they are silly enough to insist on enforcing it, then the only way I can get in and out of home without passing through the quarantine area would be by air. But I hope it won't come to that!

Alan

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Hi Thruster88

Im in a similar situation to you. My block is a bit larger than yours and I could fly wholly within my boundaries, but Ive decided not to fly at present unless there is a genuine reason to do so.

Personally I dont think now is the time for us to be testing how far we can push the letter of the law and what we can get away with. We need to come together as a community. As aviators and aircraft owners we enjoy extraordinary priviledges and I would prefer to lead by example.

Alan I totally agree with you and I have not been flying this last week. How is the Rebel going with lycoming power?

• Agree 1

Restrictions are full of unintended consequences unless they are complex,. Simple people need simple rules. That's why 3 word slogans repeated often become facts. "Most people" agree..... carries the day. They could be ALL wrong if their information source is wrong. Doctored statistics can prove what you want them to...Nev

• Agree 1

The rules we have to comply with were made with good intentions and are probably OK for 90% of cases. The problem is that we are run by bureaucrats who have no idea of what is really happening. If we break the rules we may get pulled up by a copper who has common sense and can see that we were doing nothing against the meaning of the rule. He may even do nothing, or then again he may throw the book at us. I just wonder what will happen in the courts, if it gets that far. Magistrates are rather like police.

• Like 2