How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

If it comes loose and goes into the prop you don't make it home.. and you have a pile of mincemeat on your hands. Nev

Obviously you have never used Bluetac to hold bits together on a aircraft before, just as good as duct tape and welding wire.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about in a Drifter

[ATTACH type=full" alt="Screenshot_20200407-210759.png]52225[/ATTACH]

You should turn your head and have a look at what the wires from each trailing edge to the boom are doing while you're doing that.....

I’m told the Drifter is a great hunting platform. Apparently yer just hold the rifle about parallel with yer right leg and as yer come up from behind and a few feet above the running buffalo yer shoot it in the back bone - anywhere from tail to head of the backbone will do to bring it down. Land and take the cuts yer want - over a 100kg will strap to the back seat so I’m told..?

Good to know the versatility of our aircraft as we may need to go get our own food shortly - Seems there might be a food shortage coming up.....

I have seen them used for culling feral goats, Flown from the rear seat while the front seater plays gunner with a Franchi SPAS12

VNE supposedly is 85 mph or 74 knots. She'll be singing at 82 knots

L

VNE supposedly is 85 mph or 74 knots. She'll be singing at 82 knots

Both wrong, 80 knots but you would need a fair bit of nose down and power on..

• Agree 1

Both wrong, 80 knots but you would need a fair bit of nose down and power on..

Depends on the model, bracing style and manufacturer. Lockwood "Super Drifter" with a Rotax 912 UL 80hp has a cruise of 65 knots & VNE of 74 knots

Depends on the model, bracing style and manufacturer. Lockwood "Super Drifter" with a Rotax 912 UL 80hp has a cruise of 65 knots & VNE of 74 knots

My Drifter is a certified wire braced, the photo is of the original owners manual, so 80 knots for mine.

• Agree 1

I have seen them used for culling feral goats, Flown from the rear seat while the front seater plays gunner with a Franchi SPAS12

I seen a chap out front one time with a USAS 12G drum mag doing pest control - I woulda hated to be the farmer paying to run that.

Testing continues...

“...A phlebotomist working at a Chicago hospital said Thursday that 30 to 50 percent of those tested for coronavirus have antibodies, and 10 to 20 percent of those tested are actual carriers of the virus.

Sumaya Owaynat, a phlebotomy technician for Rosewood Community Hospital, has had extensive experience with coronavirus testing over the last few weeks, as she has been testing around 400 to 600 people per day in the hospital’s parking lot. Owaynat also stated that there is a far greater number of those that have come through her line and have already recovered from the virus compared to those who currently have the disease...”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/04/10/chicago-phlebotomist-coronavirus-antibodies-found-in-30-50-tested-for-covid-19/

If it comes loose and goes into the prop you don't make it home.. and you have a pile of mincemeat on your hands. Nev

All good at 80 knots, the airflow actually pushes towards the instruments.

Had heaps of bugs on final, had to clean the dead ones off after landing....

Resized_DSC_0502(1).thumb.jpeg.c047465d27cb9a30b32452e802a6287e.jpeg

• Haha 2

Telling them "why don't you go after a REAL criminal?" won't work either. Just say I'd rather go to Gaol than pay THAT fine, and see how that runs. THEN the GAOL must met the new separation etc standards? or they are putting the Virus situation in Jeopardy. and should be fined. Nev

I would say goodie, can cross Gaol of my bucket list and it costs the Govt $1600 per week to keep me:-). But, aren’t the Gaols full?

All good at 80 knots, the airflow actually pushes towards the instruments.

Had heaps of bugs on final, had to clean the dead ones off after landing....

[ATTACH type=full]52233[/ATTACH]

I was involved with some testing with the 80 hp Verner installation. One of the test requirements was to go VNE + 10%. The Verner would go straight through to 90 kts straight and level, but those wires would lose a lot of tension. I don’t think I would like to have seen them any looser.

• Agree 1

I was involved with some testing with the 80 hp Verner installation. One of the test requirements was to go VNE + 10%. The Verner would go straight through to 90 kts straight and level, but those wires would lose a lot of tension. I don’t think I would like to have seen them any looser.

I call BS on a drifter going 90 kts straight and level on only 80hp

Had a Fisher special (full acrobatic model) up to 90 knots a couple of times during test flights, it had the symmetrical wing. Wayne said to put 82 knots as VNE but you are good to go 90 knots + in good conditions.

I'm a Drifter fan but I don't see these sorts of speeds as being the place to be. The overspeed dive Power OFF (in lieu of a sideslip) is effective because of the drag characteristics but you don't go to those speeds when doing it. The plane is what it is. Why push it into questionable situations? Nev

I'm a Drifter fan but I don't see these sorts of speeds as being the place to be. The overspeed dive Power OFF (in lieu of a sideslip) is effective because of the drag characteristics but you don't go to those speeds when doing it. The plane is what it is. Why push it into questionable situations? Nev

It is/was part of the test fight requirements.

Screenshot_20200411-195653_Drive.thumb.jpg.977c519a02e885ae6a5c9935e463e5ff.jpg

Meanwhile, the research just keeps piling up... for the better.....

“...Dr John Ioannidis from Stanford University estimates a death rate between 0.025% and 0.65%. Another study, from Japan, found the death rate to be between 0.04 and 0.12.

These are both, potentially, markedly LOWER than seasonal flu...”

https://off-guardian.org/2020/04/11/coronavirus-fact-check-3-covid19-is-20x-deadlier-than-the-flu/

I call BS on a drifter going 90 kts straight and level on only 80hp

It wasn't a 912 or Jab, but a 1400 cc twin with massive torque swinging a 72 inch Sweetapple prop.

The 912UL makes about 75 ft/lb at 5500, the Verner made about 95 ft/lb under 4000.

It's certainly not comfortable. The only time I've done it is during tests.

• Like 2

Covid19 has basicly stopped Private flying in the UK, its not a matter of distancing rather the fact that if you were to have any sort of incident/accident you would be tying up an emergency crew and hospital workers when they are allready working beyond capacity....basicly it would be very selfish to go for a jolly whilst nurses and doctors are dying on the job.

It's not actually a law as yet and doesnt seem like it needs to be as every pilot I know is doing the right thing anyway (its a shame as the weather is great now and before the virus we had six months of crap unflyable weather but its hardly a sacrifice when put against what some are going through here in the UK)

• Like 2

P.S. Close to a thousand deaths a day here now, so for those of you still comparing this to ordinary flu, well what can I say.

You lot down under have the great advantage of wide open spaces so hopefully you will do much better than the UK

stay well all

• Like 2

I would have gone flying this morning, it is always so beautiful with the low cloud on the hills after rain. The motorbike was almost as much fun.[ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20200410_101907_6731.jpg]52176[/ATTACH]

Been a long time since I have seen an 80'S RMX, I havnt had a 2 stroke bike since my 89 KX250, the husky 701 I have is too heavy for the woods and the WR250 Yam is just gutless.......mmmmmmmmmm smokers

(sorry for thread drift)

• Like 1

@Red - where do you fly from? Most of the GA airfields shut down to all but emergency services flights maybe three weeks ago now. I fly from Blackbushe (not my favourite airfield by a longshot, but the shareoplane is my favourite). They c;losed it so that you can't even go and grab any accoutments (like my ipad) that oneleft behind.

I live in Somerset, a few miles north west of Taunton. Dunkeswell is my closest airfield, but that is closed as well. There has been a C150 buzzing about - I am guessing from a private strip.

BTW, I had a penchant for Honda XL trail bikes.. Saw a 250 on ebay for 2.5K.. Ouch!

If you are sent to jail, how can they maintain social distance etc?

Personally, I am not afraid of jail. I reckon it would be just like a cruise ship, with worse food but more interesting fellow inmates. And you have to call the stewards sir.