How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear...? ...abuse, and a hand wave to some claim of a higher understanding...?

We have gone well beyond the point where you act the mature aviator with a enquiring mind.

You obviously have enough intelligence to pick ancient or discredited research and right wing propaganda. But fail to demonstrate any insight into humanity nor ethics, science, medicine or even a simple care for those around you.

You are a troll of malicious intent.

Agreed... unf, we have all taken the bait.. I won't put anyone on my ignore list as I like to hear what they have to say.. But I just won't respond to anything I think is futile to respond to. In the name of ettiquette though, we should be better and refrain from insults. But I can understand people are frustrated at many different levels..

When I was a kid, my older (and physcially stronger) brother would tease me all the time - incessantly and to breaking point. My mother would constantly tell me not to react and it will subside, but as a stubborn son of a gun who had to be heard and defend himself, it wasn't in my nature. One day it got particularly bad to the point I was ready to more than verbally bite back, when I realised he was aching for me to start something so he could finish it (I must have really pi$$ed him off for some reason). I just started letting all his taunts slide - ignoring them.. It wasn't two minutes before he gave up and literally decided to ride his bike. Served me well ever since.. Yep, sometimes things rile me, but I have learned to work out when it's important to react or just let it slide.

[Edit - the perceived futility of responding could be both in my perception of the other person's closed mindedness - or my own closed mindedness..]

100% agreed minus the part where I was the older brother. Younger brother still talks about me testing the electric cattle prod on his kidneys. Sorry...?

Want to fly.... Can’t like most of us. I did have a very enjoyable morning via Facthunter posting this in another thread.....“Almost balances Farri's idyllic flying at Deeral in the Drifter.”

Found Deeral on the map. Found some great drifter information. There’s at least 1 of them at Angeles flying club, Philippines. I’ll fly it when back there once the corona has calmed down.

Watched the video linked here. Really well done. An 11 minute flying journey I’ve participated in from a Taiwan rooftop. This is as close as I get to flying. Maybe that’s why breakfast on the roof. Signs virus spread is reducing in Australia as a possible destination. USA looks like people fighting for the right to not be told what to do and that’s not going to go well. Might be a while to get to USA and fly.

In that case sandman, here`s mine to help the page along!

[ATTACH]40269[/ATTACH]

Franco.

That’s helped

another good one

• Like 1

That's a good visualisation. Australia's 2019 cancer deaths added up to 49,640, so if you visualise the cancer deaths among your friends and relative, Corona virus is predicted to be about the same.

Statistics record you dying of what caused you to die, so even if you have been given just six months to live and die in a car crash in seven months the cause of death is a car crash.

I ran some figures based on 80,000 deaths (which was based on the Deputy CHO 50,000 < 100,000 plus comments by the Victorian CMO this weekend, plus the fact that we are not on lockdown to produce this very approximate visualisation.

There are still huge variables: to come, so this is just based on the situation now.

....Although, the 50,000 cancer deaths are spread across a population of 24M odd, not across your nearest and dearest. I personally have no direct relationship (friend or family) with anyone that has died from cancer (that I am aware of), in recent times. Had plenty of friends and family die, but cancer was not identified as the culprit although most certainly could have been there, ready to take them had they not crashed their bike (as an example). I had 1 mate die of cancer at age 32 thereabouts.

I am somewhat pragmatic and don’t believe we need to save everyone at any cost.

I also think the current result could have been achieved with far less economic pain than has been done had government reacted swiftly and targeted the actual problem, ie the imported virus. As an island, we had a perfect opportunity to close borders and ENFORCE quarantine. Instead of using precision guided munitions, we chose to allow ppl to ‘self isolate’ and we carpet bombed the entire country with draconian restrictions which in the most part did very little, apart from cause significant collateral damage to our economy. This is not with the benefit of hindsight either, I was saying that when this was first identified as a threat and I am sure plenty of others saw the same opportunity squandered.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

....Although, the 50,000 cancer deaths are spread across a population of 24M odd, not across your nearest and dearest. I personally have no direct relationship (friend or family) with anyone that has died from cancer (that I am aware of), in recent times. Had plenty of friends and family die, but cancer was not identified as the culprit although most certainly could have been there, ready to take them had they not crashed their bike (as an example). I had 1 mate die of cancer at age 32 thereabouts.

I also think the current result could have been achieved with far less economic pain than has been done had government reacted swiftly and targeted the actual problem, ie the imported virus. As an island, we had a perfect opportunity to close borders and ENFORCE quarantine. Instead of using precision guided munitions, we chose to allow ppl to ‘self isolate’ and we carpet bombed the entire country with draconian restrictions which in the most part did very little, apart from cause significant collateral damage to our economy. This is not with the benefit of hindsight either, I was saying that when this was first identified as a threat and I am sure plenty of others saw the same opportunity squandered.

Well said?

The next generation will be paying for this and some! Australia always seems to be a reactionary country, jump into the water then say..."oh sh1t it's deep"

The good news is that we are now looking at that time as a part of history. The actions Australia took at that time were among the most successful in the world, and the 50,000 to 150,000 deaths are no longer predicted. Not only that, but we are looking at the possibility of celluar operations, and bringing the number of CV positive people in Australia down to virtually zero. The NZ CHief Health Officer recently said that although they started behind us and had to go harder, they are also now looking at the same possibility. There have been talks between Australia and New Zealand health officials regarding a common isolation bubble where people could move freely between Australia and NZ.

So we are now in a much better position because we went in hard while the numbers were low.

If you want to see what happens when you get slack, just look at Tasmania, on the verge of complete eradication and one CV positive person at a very small dinner party has knocked out two hospitals requiring a Defence team to be flown in, and Tasmania has gone backwards.

If I remember correctly on this morning's news said it took two months for the world total of CV positive to reach the first million, and two weeksfor the second million. We are dealing with a raging bull here.

The achilles heel in your theory of letting people die, or shooting the carriers is the quite large volume of asymptomatic people out there who don't realise themselves that they are spreading it with everything they touch.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

Of course we'll always get fans of the Pol Pot approach: let this disease wipe the slate clean of the infirm and unproductive, so that the fitter master race can take over. (They would, of course, make sure they and their families are safely cacooned away.)

I suspect that thinking underlies many of the right-wing reactions to lockdowns.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was arranging my FAA conversion so I could fly in Hawaii in May and again in July for Oshkosh, however my holiday to Hawaii has been cancelled and FAA are not doing in person visits, so no verification Possibility. So I guess next year will be my time...

so now I’ve focused on getting my NVFR and with some luck will have a flight test this week.

I was arranging my FAA conversion so I could fly in Hawaii in May and again in July for Oshkosh, however my holiday to Hawaii has been cancelled and FAA are not doing in person visits, so no verification Possibility. So I guess next year will be my time...

so now I’ve focused on getting my NVFR and with some luck will have a flight test this week.

I did my Class 1V a loooong time ago (NVFR) and found it sharpened up my flying considerably ( got tested by the DOTc the time so had to be sharp) I would blast off in SE planes out over the city blissfully ignorant that I was running a high risk flight! I used to hire a V35 many years ago that very same A/C had a total engine failure at night somewhere I think near the hunter valley, the pilot survived but was seriously injured, since then I've never flown in anger at night SE, my choice?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Of course we'll always get fans of the Pol Pot approach: let this disease wipe the slate clean of the infirm and unproductive, so that the fitter master race can take over. (They would, of course, make sure they and their families are safely cacooned away.)

I suspect that thinking underlies many of the right-wing reactions to lockdowns.

I think you have misunderstood what was written. The poster suggested that similar results could have been achieved with a more targeted approach rather than the blanket approach applied.

I will be very interested to see what the resultant suicide numbers are, and I suspect that they will be more than the COVID deaths. The main difference there is that almost all COVID deaths are quite elderly with existing preconditions and suicides tend to be adult males of working age. That's the last group they need to be losing because they're the ones paying for all this.

• Like 3

I think you have misunderstood what was written. The poster suggested that similar results could have been achieved with a more targeted approach rather than the blanket approach applied.

I will be very interested to see what the resultant suicide numbers are, and I suspect that they will be more than the COVID deaths. The main difference there is that almost all COVID deaths are quite elderly with existing preconditions and suicides tend to be adult males of working age. That's the last group they need to be losing because they're the ones paying for all this.

I agree. The virus is one thing, the looooong lasting effects of our country now on its knees with its associated mental health issues will make the virus look like a skinned knuckle!

I agree. The virus is one thing, the looooong lasting effects of our country now on its knees with its associated mental health issues will make the virus look like a skinned knuckle!

Which is why this has been addressed so carefully by the AHPPC in various formats misunderstood by a lot of the early posters back in March.

Where and what states recreational pilots can't fly? How do we get that up to date reliable accurate information please?

The Chief Health Officers of the States and Territories and the Premiers and Chief Ministers have listed allowable activities. i.e. have listed the things you can do. Listing the things you cannot do would have run into the tens of thousands, but some qualifying information has been released by Premiers/First Ministers (and not by ABC reporters).

It's clear that some people still don't realise the gravity of the situation and how easy it is to transmit or receive the virus.

This Ad from Israel makes it very clear.

• Like 2

The Chief Health Officers of the States and Territories and the Premiers and Chief Ministers have listed allowable activities. i.e. have listed the things you can do. Listing the things you cannot do would have run into the tens of thousands, but some qualifying information has been released by Premiers/First Ministers (and not by ABC reporters).

It's clear that some people still don't realise the gravity of the situation and how easy it is to transmit or receive the virus.

This Ad from Israel makes it very clear.

Where can we find this information?

Where and what states recreational pilots can't fly? How do we get that up to date reliablete information please?

NO states have banned flying, they can't, state Govt don't have the power, besides the hysteria is doing a good job of creating confusing all over!

NO states have banned flying, they can't, state Govt don't have the power, besides the hysteria is doing a good job of creating confusing all over!

Exactly. I and others want this to be clear, we believe we can fly with social distancing rules but want to monitor the legality.

It is exercise physically and for the mind after all.

Listing the things you cannot do would have run into the tens of thousands,

It only has to be one thing....any activity which cannot permit social distancing. Which would mean you could do almost anything with care and achieve the same result already achieved and considerably less restriction.

• Like 1

I think you have misunderstood what was written...

I wasn't having a go at any post in particular.

I appreciate your point about the likely cost in young, productive lives; we are only recently learning that we lose more of our young war veterans after the war than during it.

• Like 1

They haven't banned flying, they have banned leaving the premises where you reside (in Victoria). If you can fly without leaving the premises (hover a helicopter in your backyard perhaps?) go for it.

More seriously, if pilots go flying you can guarantee that some will gather in groups at the airport for a chat - particularly as pilots seem to be one of the groups most likely to downplay the impact of the virus. The same thing applies to golfers, and most other activities where people say they can do it while distancing - you can be sure people will end up gathering in groups.

Hopefully these restrictions will only be in place for another 3-4 weeks before they are relaxed a bit.

• Agree 1