How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO states have banned flying, they can't, state Govt don't have the power, besides the hysteria is doing a good job of creating confusing all over!

You have been under the control of the Chief Medical Officer, and State & Territory Chief Health Officers for about a month and a half now as a result of State of Emergemcy declarations by every State and Territory. State Premiers are usually making co-announcements, and enacting any necessary legislation.

It only has to be one thing....any activity which cannot permit social distancing. Which would mean you could do almost anything with care and achieve the same result already achieved and considerably less restriction.

No it's not; for example you walk into a toilet alone - that's social distancing. You press the button and you're CV positive because the last person was inected. You know the rules for your State, you've been quoting them.

• Like 1

They haven't banned flying, they have banned leaving the premises where you reside (in Victoria). If you can fly without leaving the premises (hover a helicopter in your backyard perhaps?) go for it.

More seriously, if pilots go flying you can guarantee that some will gather in groups at the airport for a chat - particularly as pilots seem to be one of the groups most likely to downplay the impact of the virus. The same thing applies to golfers, and most other activities where people say they can do it while distancing - you can be sure people will end up gathering in groups.

Hopefully these restrictions will only be in place for another 3-4 weeks before they are relaxed a bit.

Aside from them doing that, hey are giving us a bad name.

A friend of mine, who previously hasn't shown the slightest interest in flying sent me an email showing overloaded skies - and that's without the non ADS-B VH registered aircraft and recreational aircraft..

The biggest volume of offenders were in SA with DA40s leading the pack. A Cessna 210 was making a quiet run across the border into Victoria.

Five lighties flew over our place yesterday, that’s more than pre virus.

Combine a nice day with an area that has many Pvt airstrips and you have people living a normal life, lucky buggers!? It's not illegal to fly.?

• Agree 1

If only infected people and things could be identified easily like in that Israeli video.

Maybe we could make a start by spray-painting infected people.

It would certainly make it easier for some people to comprehend.

The infected people who show the symptoms and get themselves tested haven't been the main problem in this epidemic.

It's been the asymptomatics (people with no symptoms) who have been sitting down at dinner parties, talking over the fence, visiting mates etc. who have been quietly spreading it without knowing.

The benefit of the Israeli video is that it shows ways other than social distancing that we can avoid picking it up accidentally, like opening gates, picking up a shovel which has been used by someone else, a petrol pump, the EFTPOS keypad in a shop, collecting a parcel etc.

I just watched a video of two people playing tennis rooftop to rooftop on adjacent buildings as an example of social distancing, but if one was CV positive and the other picks up the ball, they've managed to catch the disease.

What it does do is make us appreciate how careful surgeons really are in our daily lives.

• Like 1

Doesn't the forced landing at night in a SE include

"Landing lights - on

If you don't like what you see, landing lights - off"

That’s exactly what I was told while night flying. It was already stressful. ? Somehow it ended up being one of the best parts of learning. I think you’ve got to be prepared to be a little shocked at how little information seems to be available (lights) to fly in remote country airports. Probsbly also makes it the best learning environment.

I just watched a video of two people playing tennis rooftop to rooftop on adjacent buildings as an example of social distancing, but if one was CV positive and the other picks up the ball, they've managed to catch the disease.

Just a note on the ball and virus.....I don’t want to be the smug guy living in a country almost free of CV and telling my fellow Australians how to do it. It’s a big deal though so I’ll do my little bit for fellow pilots. Taiwan has gone for a few days without new cases. I was shocked this morning to suddenly see 22 cases. It’s a navy thing same as that aircraft carrier in USA. Taiwan community transmission is all but eliminated currently and remains so (for now)

Why is Taiwan doing well? It’s constant temp checks, face masks, hand washing and tracking and quarantine of suspect cases.

I read the article in Melbourne Age on Friday where a professor said “I wished I’d never picked up that book” Book in question handled by the newly CV positive author. Now, keep in mind the professor sat at a table with the author for an hour (if I remember the article correctly)

The western countries in general have a fixation on hand to mouth transmission and are throwing their hands up in the air over carriers without symptoms. It’s hard to watch! If as in the case of Taiwan the entry for professors book lecture had temp checks, masks for all and mandatory spray wipe it’s unlikely the professor would have become ill. Likely the author would have been found with temp elevated at entry. If not he’d have had hand wipes and after lecture met at table with face mask on.

The obvious conclusion. You’re sitting 1 to 2 meters away from an aerosol CV dispenser for an hour or you touched a book. How did you get the virus?

I’ve been meaning to write a letter to the Age and won’t bother. It’s a cultural norm that’s not going to be changed in a hurry. We don’t wear masks. I’ve been guilty of this in Taiwan. 100 people in the supermarket and 99% wearing masks. Like Trump and I don’t want to be like Trump it was “well, I don’t really want to”. It’s not a choice now in Taiwan. Out in public (defined as public transport, groups, shops etc ) you must wear a mask and peer pressure also reinforces. Just mentioning there because I’d like my fellow pilots to stay safe.

Flying... I’m still looking to July 1st USA. Wife must have an operation soon and it’s in USA. Paid for there by insurance so USA. Australia as backup plan. Reality is probably have to remain in Taiwan. It’s not that bad. Yesterday pic at sun moon lake.

D8CEB6F1-49A3-4A13-A87C-6C3A05C27046.jpeg.468ee5f25b6af807bb1d600b17bc93be.jpeg

• Like 4

No it's not; for example you walk into a toilet alone - that's social distancing. You press the button and you're CV positive because the last person was inected. You know the rules for your State, you've been quoting them.

And you wash your hands before touching your face.

Yes, I know what the rules are, but that had nothing to do with the conversation......You say that that they would need a list a mile long to tell us what we can do.....I say they could take a leaf out of FARs and write a simple one sentence rule that covers it. But no, here in Australia we can't do anything "simply", aside from just banning everything.

The biggest volume of offenders were in SA with DA40s leading the pack

What is an offence in Victoria is not necessarily an offence elsewhere

but if one was CV positive and the other picks up the ball, they've managed to catch the disease.

That would only be the case if the CV positive person managed to get some spit or such on their hands then touched the ball and then the uninfected person would have to touch their mouth, nose or eyes. You can't catch it simply by touching something an infected person touches. That's why they keep say "wash your hands".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

In the scramble for Online schooling in Australia, I've stopped my day trading, and today am teaching an 8 yo New Zealand Maths, and trying to remember how plural adverbs end.

Plural adverb?? Ain't no such animal.

• Agree 1

What is "New Zealand Maths?" You have to get up early to be ahead of New Zealand people. Nev

I suspect the Australian and New Zealand Education people have pooled resources to get Online up and running so fast, or NZ already had advanced Online material.

The Online software covers all subject for all classes all day except for one session where each student gets to air their views on how they are coping and what they don't understand. There's another section where they can write to the teacher if they are struggling. My 8yo learnt contractions in English ( can not to can't) in the morning and used his first in a Persuasive Writing lesson in the afternoon, so he was feeling good with himself.

In the scramble for Online schooling in Australia, I've stopped my day trading, and today am teaching an 8 yo New Zealand Maths, and trying to remember how plural adverbs end.

And the Queensland Education web site crashed and burned today:-(

1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9 Anything else and the sheep get it.

This was one of the questions for an 8 year old today.

The ages of a father and son add up to 55.

The father's age is the son's age reversed.

How old are they?

This was one of the questions for an 8 year old today.

The ages of a father and son add up to 55.

The father's age is the son's age reversed.

How old are they?

14 and 41 takes about five seconds! Good 8yo question.

• Like 1

I suspect the Australian and New Zealand Education people have pooled resources to get Online up and running so fast, or NZ already had advanced Online material...

NZ has several innovative educational resource companies, a couple of which I have used. When I've phoned in with a problem, I've had instant cheerful and efficient service.

This was hard to adjust to; with Australian firms you tend to be put on hold and be mucked about for hours.

The Kiwis have my vote.

If you want to have a successful business in NZ you need to be innovative. The market is so small that if you are not, you will not remain in that business for long. Australia is a natural progression for Kiwi businesses. There is also much less bureaucracy in NZ with far fewer hoops to jump through. That said there seems to be a different attitude towards progressive thinking.

In my IT management life I was always looking at bleeding edge solutions and with sound business modelling I had little problem gaining the support from the board of directors. 98% of what we manufactured was exported, the bulk into Asia so we had to be a step ahead or go under. We were very successful & were taken over, I took redundancy & moved to my holiday apartment on the Sunshine Coast. Now that business is almost nothing, everything having been moved to China.

• Informative 1