How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

@Mike Gearon - I am not sure I entirely agree that your environs you grew up in set what you need. I know people who come from farming and don't even loke countryside holidays, preferring the concrete jungles on the Costa de Sol. Both my partner and I a re city born and bred and while I enjoy going to the city for work, I am darned gald to get out of it. We had 13 acres and loved it (well, the partner ended up no liking the realisation the country, despite its tranqulity, it a cesspit of death and violence if you happen to be an animal of prey). We really like the open spaces (can't call south west England wide) and my partner has no intention of going back. Maybe its also an age thing..

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it about Victorians and Queenslanders?

From the colour of their car number plates to who owns their breweries, they have long had a blind spot for NSW. Banana-benders who head south to the big city always seemed to skip the massive territory in between, to end up in Melbourne. Likewise, Victorians migrated north to the Sunshine state.

Is NSW that bad?

Not all of us!. I am hoping to retire to either Tocumwal or Merimbula, possibly Apollo Bay. Also looking at Deniliquin and a lot of the Riverina area. I dodn't care too much for Coffs Harbour (was over 20 years ago though); Byron Bay is too expensive; I had an uncle in Nimbin, which is surrounded by a nice area.

I still have a bit of time to decide...

• Like 1

We seem to need the environs we grew up in. My mother in law is from Great Plains USA and isn’t happy without a visible distant horizon. I grew up on farmland and I’m not happy in the city or suburbs. Currently 12th floor of the middle of Taiwan’s second largest city. Not happy! I have weekend escapes to mountains and lakes now. That helps maintain a modicum of sanity. No idea why my pics insist on sideways.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="3C5B89CE-C064-4540-8833-067EB57F5D90.jpeg]52547[/ATTACH]

How do your photos appear when viewed in a photo app like MS photos, Picassa or Google photos etc? Are you posting them direct from a phone? Whatever,use a photo editor to rotate it 45 deg to the right & then save it as a copy & post that. The original will always be how the camera decided it should be.

• Like 1

I still love the Alice Springs hills and trees and empty spaces. It's part of my dreaming and you don't have to be black to have a dreaming.

To this day, I don't understand why some people like cities and crowds. I look at a football crowd with horror, but nearly all the people there have chosen it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I still love the Alice Springs hills and trees and empty spaces. It's part of my dreaming and you don't have to be black to have a dreaming.

To this day, I don't understand why some people like cities and crowds. I look at a football crowd with horror, but nearly all the people there have chosen it.

I tend to agree, the ghettos that the cities have are just awful, people are welcome to it! True peace comes from hearing/seeing nature, I'm so glad I don't live in a cesspool!?

• Agree 1

I say this anti-bureaucratic thing as a South Australian. Here in South Australia, things are so bad that a Victorian company changed its mind about expanding into South Australia. At the time, our premier Weatherall defended the bureaucracy, in this case the roads lot.

Mind you, there are a couple of good things in the bleak outlook.. our absence of yearly vehicle inspections for one.

Neither does Victoria. Most of my clients would be in unregistered vehicles if they had to get annualRWC.

I miss the red dirt like you wouldn’t believe. I worked in the Upper Gascoyne in the 70’s and the Alice in late 80’s. But at 76 it really is a bit of a dream.

so I’m currently looking at a life at sea instead ? have seen a nice steel trawler type set up for onboard living but the silly old fart comments are probably directing me to a houseboat on the Murray as a more sensible alternative.

• Like 2

I miss the red dirt like you wouldn’t believe. I worked in the Upper Gascoyne in the 70’s and the Alice in late 80’s. But at 76 it really is a bit of a dream.

so I’m currently looking at a life at sea instead ? have seen a nice steel trawler type set up for onboard living but the silly old fart comments are probably directing me to a houseboat on the Murray as a more sensible alternative.

As a country boy who grew up with dust, locusts and boredom, the water holds great adventure.

The life aquatic is far better than land and a hell of a lot cheaper. So much easier to go shopping in the sea for protein and does not get fresher.

Far less flies, and mozzies are annoying but just move a bit from the mangroves. Some of the wildlife do fight back but battlefield tactics work on mudcrabs.

You are as far from people as you choose and if you don't like them or the view, just move somewhere nicer.

It is far better than been a grey nomad in a van.

For the price of a years rent a nice boat can be had. The price of a tiny nasty apartment buys a luxury boat with lots of goodies and million dollar views.

Age is not really a big deal, just buy what suits you and a electric windlass does wonders to lift a anchor.

My current backyard is Port Stephens and the tourists are all stuck in their homes long ago. The sound I hear at night is not cars doing burnouts or domestics but the dolphins around the boat. Priceless and great for mental health.

I have fought a serious case of crabs though, everytime I lift a net, it's full of fresh food.

• Like 2

@Mike Gearon - I am not sure I entirely agree that your environs you grew up in set what you need. I know people who come from farming and don't even loke countryside holidays, preferring the concrete jungles on the Costa de Sol. Both my partner and I a re city born and bred and while I enjoy going to the city for work, I am darned gald to get out of it. We had 13 acres and loved it (well, the partner ended up no liking the realisation the country, despite its tranqulity, it a cesspit of death and violence if you happen to be an animal of prey). We really like the open spaces (can't call south west England wide) and my partner has no intention of going back. Maybe its also an age thing..

Yes, we are all different. Makes the world interesting. I guess I’m going partly on myself and on my French Island farmers. Almost invariably they are like me. Grew up on a farm and drawn back to it. I’m at my happiest in a farm shed, on the tractor singing badly or watching young calves running fast just for fun.

As an aside....As a young man I was informed that some people were city people. Some people were country people and some people were just c@#ts. My American wife can throw that word around with ease. In the USA it’s apparently like bum. Not a big deal announce somebody is one.

Went for a fly this morning and heard a conversation where Centre said "You have entered controlled airspace, you probably should descend". Reply was I am over cloud - can I have a clearance at this altitude?" "OK, cleared to maintain 5,200 and let us know when you can descend. Have initiated flight following. Do you need any help?" "No thanks, all OK" and a few minutes later "We are away from cloud, request clearance to descend OCTA"

All very friendly and unstressed.

• Like 1

Went for a fly this morning and heard a conversation where Centre said "You have entered controlled airspace, you probably should descend". Reply was I am over cloud - can I have a clearance at this altitude?" "OK, cleared to maintain 5,200 and let us know when you can descend. Have initiated flight following. Do you need any help?" "No thanks, all OK" and a few minutes later "We are away from cloud, request clearance to descend OCTA"

I've noticed more and more flying activity if late, perhaps we've had enough of the tyranny??

• Like 3

I have spoken to a few military helicopter pilots recently who have mentioned that ATC at Brisbane and Coolangatta are happy to have someone to talk to lately.

• Like 1

COVID-19 hasn`t stopped me flying and no one has tried to stop me either, I only fly solo, though...I went flying again this afternoon.

Franco.

BASTARD

:crying:

• Haha 2

COVID-19 hasn`t stopped me flying and no one has tried to stop me either, I only fly solo, though...I went flying again this afternoon.

Franco.

Good for you? I went for a fly yesterday, solo, it's time, time we faught back!?

• Like 4

Some are still flying. I was out mowing the lawn this afternoon, and two Piper Warriors flew over, not together, about 15 minutes apart.

I didn't fly today as a friend was flying. I didn't want to give anyone the ability to phone the police and say our airstrip was busy with people flying. maybe Tuesday.