State Lockdown - who's watching the airports

Yesterday and today, I broke the lockdown laws......I drove to my other property from my residence, the reason was to start making firebreaks with my bulldozer as we will have a massive fire risk within a month, when it cools off I will be back at it again tonight. Was my reason good enough? NO, as I am not allowed to my other property for ANY reason.

You went there for WORK. Whether you are paid or not is irrelevant so you are perfectly entitled to go & do what you did IMHO. If you'd paid a contractor to do it the same rule applies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of airports are owned by the fed's as is the airspace. The State governments can control you to the airport gate's after that it's up to the fed's and there is no restriction (on airspace) in place.

I think the feds gave all the little airports like Cowra to local government in the 70's. Some of the larger ones like bankstown may be leased. Whilst trying to find out who owns bankstown I see that traffic peaked at 330,000 per year and is currently 250,000 per year.

Back in the olden days at Bankstown there would be 6 aircraft in the circuit on a weekday, weekends were busier. Is there much traffic there now? Last I saw Bankstown there were only trucks.

As part of the user lease agreement I thought they had to keep aviation as it's prime use. That 250k figure now seems about 10X what the actual traffic is

• Like 1

You went there for WORK. Whether you are paid or not is irrelevant so you are perfectly entitled to go & do what you did IMHO. If you'd paid a contractor to do it the same rule applies.

Well, I did not do it just to break the rules and yes it was to do a job, spend hours on a dozer to look like this......

FA9FD5A1-DB68-43A1-A31F-37C0AD2D31C0.jpeg.22f3532272a3ce6e16fd172872d37a2b.jpeg

• Like 3

[quote="jackc, post: 556966, member

Nice 45 or 47

’83 BJ42 5sp a/c 220,000km owned 26 years. I sorta collect these machines ;-)

• Like 1

I am an executive member of the management committee that manages our aerodrome & one of 4 that actually does any work there. We mow, maintain fences, runways, taxiways, cones & markers/windsock, toilets, sheds etc & at present I drive there once a week to do stuff when the weather is nice. We are bound by our lease agreement to keep the place in operating condition in case of emergencies so I have to test that as well. All voluntary but work none the less & some of it is fun.

• Like 4

I am an executive member of the management committee that manages our aerodrome & one of 4 that actually does any work there. We mow, maintain fences, runways, taxiways, cones & markers/windsock, toilets, sheds etc & at present I drive there once a week to do stuff when the weather is nice. We are bound by our lease agreement to keep the place in operating condition in case of emergencies so I have to test that as well. All voluntary but work none the less & some of it is fun.

Thanks for your contribution to Aviation:-)

Yesterday and today, I broke the lockdown laws......I drove to my other property from my residence, the reason was to start making firebreaks with my bulldozer as we will have a massive fire risk within a month, when it cools off I will be back at it again tonight. Was my reason good enough? NO, as I am not allowed to my other property for ANY reason.

Too bad, care factor zero on my part. On my way there, I stop and talk to our local Rural Brigade Fire Warden (another no no). He says, hope we don’t get any fires, only allowed 2 persons to a fire truck, no more. So, IF we get a bushfire......it’s tough luck for getting fire crews, and people wonder WHY I jack up on these silly rules.

Well for Aviation content, one of those fire breaks is going to be BIG:-). We get BIG fires dontcha know:-). It’s secondary use will be my airstrip WAHOO:-))

I'd go for "d"

PART 1 — DIRECTION – HOME CONFINEMENT, MOVEMENT AND GATHERING

1. This direction applies from 11:59 pm on 2 April 2020 until the end of the declared public health emergency, unless it is revoked or replaced.

Home Confinement requirements in Queensland

1. A person who resides in Queensland must not leave their principal place of residence except for, and only to the extent reasonably necessary to accomplish, the following permitted purposes:

1. to obtain food or other essential goods or services;
    2. to obtain medical treatment or other health care services;
    3. to engage in physical exercise;
    4. to perform work or volunteering, or carry out or conduct an essential business, activity or undertaking, and the work, business activity or undertaking to be performed is of a nature that cannot reasonably be performed from the person’s principal place of residence;

• Like 1

Each state has a slightly different set of rules, which is crazy, but if you go to your property to perform essential maintenance, and given the events over the summer just gone, fire breaks would be considered one I would think, then even the most jobs-worth policeman would find it hard to book you for it. If he (or she) did, let it go to court and see how quickly it gets laughed out.

• Like 1

Each state has a slightly different set of rules, which is crazy, but if you go to your property to perform essential maintenance, and given the events over the summer just gone, fire breaks would be considered one I would think, then even the most jobs-worth policeman would find it hard to book you for it. If he (or she) did, let it go to court and see how quickly it gets laughed out.

In Queensland, this would be okay but the local police up here want to hand out fines willy-nilly without looking at the legislation - North Stradbroke Island is a good example - which is updated every few days.

The Queensland Teacher's Union has recommended that when travelling, their members carry a printout of the legislation with appropriate highlighting to show the police if they are stopped. For Queensland it is here: Home Confinement, Movement and Gathering Direction | Queensland Health .

I'd go for "d"

So would I.

You would be covered by the following permitted purpose:

6 d: to perform work or volunteering, or carry out or conduct an essential business, activity or undertaking, and the work, business activity or undertaking to be performed is of a nature that cannot reasonably be performed from the person’s principal place of residence;

As you can see, the work does not even have to be essential; it just has to be work.

It would be a good idea if you could show this Directive to the nice policeman/woman if required.

• Like 1

I can't imagine rioting in the streets, but there'll be a fair bit of civil disobedience in weeks to come, if the authorities don't roll back the tight clampdowns, to something more acceptable - striking a balance between spreading contamination, and ensuring people can get back to doing everyday things - still with the simple rules of minimal touching, spacing and cleanliness, in place. A vaccine will be the only way we return to normality, but that could be 18 mths away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can't imagine rioting in the streets, but there'll be a fair bit of civil disobedience in weeks to come, if the authorities don't roll back the tight clampdowns, to something more acceptable - striking a balance between spreading contamination, and ensuring people can get back to doing everyday things - still with the simple rules of minimal touching, spacing and cleanliness, in place. A vaccine will be the only way we return to normality, but that could be 18 mths away.

Very true, my comments where tongue in cheek but to keep the masses locked away for another 4 weeks (I heard today) will have a huge impact on people's mental health. It's the draconian laws that don't make sense I believe they Govt should revisit!

Yeah. We should look to Sweden for the common sense way of doing things...?

I operated an aircraft across WA intrastate boundaries 2 days ago.

Flying into Jandakot, when you declare you are inbound they ask you over the radio where you departed from. If it’s across border lines, they send out the police air wing to your parking location.

That’s after you contact them on the ground, and you get clearance to taxi of course. Then come grab you as you exit the aircraft.

The police are actually really good about it, this flight was a maintenance repositioning flight so there was zero issues. If I was out blasting around that’s something different they said.

But they just take your details and let you get on with life. You just need a reason that isn’t ‘I felt like it’

Back in the olden days at Bankstown there would be 6 aircraft in the circuit on a weekday, weekends were busier. Is there much traffic there now? Last I saw Bankstown there were only trucks.

As part of the user lease agreement I thought they had to keep aviation as it's prime use. That 250k figure now seems about 10X what the actual traffic is

Yea right! So many clubs and organisations have all felt the pinch of privatisation one way or another here.

Don't even venture into the Clamback and Hennesy saga, who at their own expense even paid for their own hanger to be built and lost all ,or you'll likely receive a gob full from so many.

Half of it is like ghost town (just ask Dick Smith).

It's a monumental disgrace, whereby some should be hung by their nuts if letting them off lightly. including those making a quid out of the even very slow redevelopment process.

A sad state of of affairs similar to so many other airfields around Oz.

Developers and local councils have just so much to answer for.

Plain envelopes changing hands are dangerous things for others outside the developers world.

Formally so many thriving clubs, with grass now growing grass up to the windows is the norm.

I was a member of Schofields Flying Club who have since moved to the opposite side of the airfield, but the old club house is a very sad sight these days, all overgrown with grass and weeds, presumably just waiting for an appropriate offer from a developer.

Bankstown Aviation Museum is a similar story. I believe it's in the slow process of moving to Camden, but just sit's there like sad waste land.

I so wish I had a magic wand and could change it back to government owned, with someone who appreciates aviation, and not simply commerce, so aviation in the area could thrive once more.

Bankstown used to have the 2nd most most aircraft movements in the Southern Hemisphere. Just look at it now.:crying::crying::crying:

• Like 1

Your not coming over to the dark side are you???? Soon you will be saying we should open the economy and protect the vulnerable. (hey its all good changing mind is a good sign). Sweden appears to have the right balance there is enough data to say following there model is the sensible thing to do.

90% of hospitalized covid patients have underling health issues this thing has been blown way out of proportion.

The latest data is saying a vaccine maybe impossible as people apear to be getting reinfected. If we are waiting for pixie dust it maybe a very very bad idea.

• Like 2

I heard that over $1 million in fines have been handed out in Qld. One chap was fined for flying his helicopter to an island for a picnic. Didn't hear any details.

I heard that over $1 million in fines have been handed out in Qld. One chap was fined for flying his helicopter to an island for a picnic. Didn't hear any details.

He will write the fines off to the Helo running costs!

The article I read said $800 000, around 500 infringement notices. The helicopter incident just proves what I think about QLD cops. They can't be trusted with a little authority, let alone a loose reign.

The whole point of the law is to keep people away from one another to prevent infection transmission, and he was doing that very effectively.

I guess with little to no traffic this easter there's going to be a massive shortfall in penalty income that they feel they have to make up.

Stage 3 directives were completely unnecessary as new infections were already dropping off well prior to to it's implementation.

• Like 2

The article I read said $800 000, around 500 infringement notices. The helicopter incident just proves what I think about QLD cops. They can't be trusted with a little authority, let alone a loose reign.

The whole point of the law is to keep people away from one another to prevent infection transmission, and he was doing that very effectively.

I guess with little to no traffic this easter there's going to be a massive shortfall in penalty income that they feel they have to make up.

Stage 3 directives were completely unnecessary as new infections were already dropping off well prior to to it's implementation.

As I say, everyone take it to court. But if you have blabbed some dopey story to the cop, your goose is cooked. You have the right to remain silent after stating name, address and date of birth IF requested.

• Agree 1

The media are reporting or insinuating that he was fined for flying his helicopter to a restricted desginated area, namely Moreton Island. According to the Queensland Health COVID-19 Directions, he is permitted to do this as an "Exempt Person . . . Flight Air Crew."

Unfortunately for him the police(or magistrate) will probably just change the offence to leaving one's Place of Residence for other than for a Permitted Purpose. Going for a picnic is not on their list of permitted purposes.

• Like 1

SplitS said ...

Sweden appears to have the right balance there is enough data to say following there model is the sensible thing to do.

No, I'm not changing my mind or "going over to the dark side". Sweden has 10M population and currently has 10,483 confirmed virus cases with 899 deaths.

Australia, with 25M population, has 6,313 confirmed virus cases with 61 deaths. I know which countrys virus transmission countermeasures are more effective.

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-AU&gl=AU&ceid=AU:en

• Agree 2