State Lockdown - who's watching the airports

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you get surprises in a crisis. I'm on my second day with the Victorian Online Schooling, with an 8 year old. I'm stuffed altready just trying to keep him in the room. The first live online class started today, with his teacher, who managed to get 14 students to mute their microphones in aboutr 30 seconds while she explained what she was going to do, which was show and tell. Each student had to unmute their mic and sit in front of their laptop camera and tell their story, then mute the mic. All 14 gave a professional public speech, and the teacher was able to keep things moving.

I'd say it was a stunning success for a system that was built in about three weeks with a huge volume of material, plus links all over the world for more reference material, plus set up for Grade 2 to7, plus access to their own teacher right across Victoria.

I don't think I've ever come close to getting that standard on Day 2 of any Corporate release.

Tomorrow, we're probably going tp be taught the inter-action process. Students can ask or answer a question either through the keyboard, or voice while the teacher is talking, and on Monday the actual online lessons start. The control of the teacher over the students today was perfect, so I suspect this is going to be a big success and save their 2020 year.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 6

Boris is back at number ten... is he able to infect others? Is he now immune himself? If the answer to these things is no and yes, then it seems to me that a vaccine is possible. In the meantime, I personally don't know.

Boris is back at number ten... is he able to infect others? Is he now immune himself? If the answer to these things is no and yes, then it seems to me that a vaccine is possible. In the meantime, I personally don't know.

When you've recovered it's out of your system, so you're not infectious. The several Medical/Health officers I've heard discussing re-infection have said there are examples going either way; a bit too soon to tell.

• Like 1

Obviously your immune system has managed to get on top of this disease & kill it once you have recovered. The assumption then is now the immune system knows what SARS-COV-2 is, it can knock off any new SARS-COV-2 virus that turns up. I would say the problem will be if it mutates and the immune system is surprised.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Turbo - A friend is home-schooling two kids due to the virus. She has it all under control, as any parent should do.

The first thing she does, is to make sure they are dressed in their school uniforms, and they then know, they are at school, not just at home mucking around on the computer.

When the schooling is finished for the day, they know that school is out, they can put their "home" clothes on, and go play and muck about.

There is no mucking about, no excuses, no diversions, while the school uniforms are on - they are at school, just at home, instead of at the school buildings!

• Like 4

Turbo - A friend is home-schooling two kids due to the virus. She has it all under control, as any parent should do.

The first thing she does, is to make sure they are dressed in their school uniforms, and they then know, they are at school, not just at home mucking around on the computer.

When the schooling is finished for the day, they know that school is out, they can put their "home" clothes on, and go play and muck about.

There is no mucking about, no excuses, no diversions, while the school uniforms are on - they are at school, just at home, instead of at the school buildings!

We're doing that too, but for an 8 year old it's a shock. It was fascinating to see how all the students really looked to their teacher to lead them even though they were on line. The room quietened down almost immediately, and all their faces disappeared off the screen one by one leaving the teacher front and centre. He was tired and bored by the end of the day doing homework but that will diminish as the online component expands.

Daughter who is in year 9 (we had kids late) does online and is reasonable conscientious with it. Son is in lower-6th (year 12 for Aussie - they have 7 years of secondary school here).. they just email him work and he does it.. to his requisite standard, which can be frustrating - making him a chip off the ol' block. Both are missing the interaction at school - esp where thir ol' man stuffs his leg and can't play with them as much as he could.. Although, with keeping my heel on the pedal, managed a bike ride, but the daughter fell off into a ditch of stinging nettles - poor girl. She's OK today...

• Like 2

...The first thing she does, is to make sure they are dressed in their school uniforms, and they then know, they are at school, not just at home mucking around on the computer.

When the schooling is finished for the day, they know that school is out, they can put their "home" clothes on, and go play and muck about...

I love it! Might suggest that to my kid, who does long night shifts.

The grandies are like a well-oiled machine; each night, the oldest packs their lunch boxes, then puts them in the fridge. She gets up early and gets their breakfasts, then they start school sessions, with dad dragging himself out of bed to help. After lunch he sends them upstairs to watch Bluey, then he works from his home office till late.

• 2 weeks later...

With flying training disrupted we still have many folks flying about in light aircraft. Who's watching the smaller airfields for sneaky folks crossing the borders while states are in lock down?

I thought that flight traning was still perfectly legit?

I thought that flight traning was still perfectly legit?

How could you have an instructor and student in a plane and maintain the social distancing rule? Our flying club has effectively ceased all training until this shite is over.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

How could you have an instructor and student in a plane and maintain the social distancing rule? Our flying club has effectively ceased all training until this shite is over.

Our club has also ceased training (that's a club decision nothing else) but it's not illegal to still conduct training, (education) often see training AC out and about.

Should be across the board schools doing the right thing by State rules and regulations then you see others taking advantage of this. Education excuse my arse !

Distancing rules in regards to work are recommendations

Nothing preventing dual training right now other than definition of essential services - if a student needs training for work related duties its OK

Each state could be different.

In saying that its not a bad idea, from instructors point of view, to pause dual training and reduce risk to themselves.

• Like 1