The end of CASA

A large pilot training industry is yours for the taking if you can get your bureaucrats to help.

We did get out bureaucrats to help. But they weren't the aviation bureaucrats, they were the education ones. They opened the governments purse strings to amoral people with questionable business plans that left the students with no qualification but a huge debt. Who knows what these Asian students have got from their own governments in the way of pay and expenses.

...The foreign students are a worry at times, with unintelligible calls and questionable circuit procedure's. On the other hand they are learning a new complex career in a foreign country with a second language, must be very difficult so I try to cut them some slack. I do blame some of their instructors for bad habits. They always join "Midfield crosswind" no matter where they are in the the circuit or inbound...

All true, SP.

We had BAE use our strip for years, and their foreign students helped keep our little airport viable.

Now we have CAE, which currently trains 80-odd Chinese pilots. They occasionally drop in and are good embassadores, but they can be hard to understand on the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh goody, Turbo thinks that by hiring an aircraft you can avoid paying for the depreciation.

A moment's thought tells you that the person hiring out the aircraft pays the depreciation and he passes that on to you in the form of the hourly hire rate.

Oh goody, Turbo thinks that by hiring an aircraft you can avoid paying for the depreciation.

A moment's thought tells you that the person hiring out the aircraft pays the depreciation and he passes that on to you in the form of the hourly hire rate.

No, I didn't think that. If you hire you don't have to concern yourself about how the hirer is structuring his costs; you just make your decision to hire on his hourly rate.

But let's say I was to take a look over the fence, the key figure in hiring is the Utilisation figure; that's what allows some hirers to buy new airctraft, and others to hire clapped out 50 year olds.

You take too much too seriously Turbo, cut a bit of slack for some throw away lines ?

The foreign students are a worry at times, with unintelligible calls and questionable circuit procedure's. On the other hand they are learning a new complex career in a foreign country with a second language, must be very difficult so I try to cut them some slack. I do blame some of their instructors for bad habits. They always join "Midfield crosswind" no matter where they are in the the circuit or inbound.

Lighten up Turbo

One day at Coffs Harbour.....Jabiru xxx calls tower in a mumbled language. Tower asks for clarification.....more

mumbling from Jabiru xxxx. Tower says Jabiru xxxx....are you coming, or going?

silence, more silence! Said Aircraft was one fro Port Macquarie:-)