Savannah VG

Jon Bown

Hi have just purchased a 2005 VG completed but never flown, have just noticed that it does not have the jury struts on the front wing support, was this a mod or have they just left it off. Is it worth while doing the 544kg to 560kg MTOW mod. PS I am new to any forum so don't know how they work sorry if I have done this wrong. Jon

I am not sure if the jury strut is part of the 560 upgrade but I know you need added rear fuselage section corner pieces as part of that upgrade.

If it has never been flown I would be getting someone to have a real good look over every part of that aircraft. Someone who knows savannahs very well not just any LAME

• Like 1

I am not sure if the jury strut is part of the 560 upgrade but I know you need added rear fuselage section corner pieces as part of that upgrade.

If it has never been flown I would be getting someone to have a real good look over every part of that aircraft. Someone who knows savannahs very well not just any LAME

And heavier wing root attachments, and most critically, doubled strut to wing spar attachments.

The jury struts are part of the upgrade kit but some didn't bother with them.

• Like 1

Jury struts generally function in negative "G"or wing twist situations. Nev

The increase of 544 kg to 560 kg is only an additional 16 kg. Of course, at the ultimate load factor of 6 G this adds 96 kg before catastrophic failure of the Savannah's structure.

Nevertheless, the additional strengthening seems quite substantial for a less than 3% MTOW increase. This makes me wonder if the original Savannah was somewhat 'under designed' in the first place?

Perhaps ICP used that 16 kg increase as an explanation to have this extra strengthening added just to be sure?

• Like 1

Well then you have 2 of small 3mm alu plates about 50mm x 40mm going in between the leaves in the main strut attachments at the wing and that increases the MTOW to 600kg from 560 kg ???...I thought it was not enough for a 40kg increase but supposedly designed by the Germans for that increase

Well then you have 2 of small 3mm alu plates about 50mm x 40mm going in between the leaves in the main strut attachments at the wing and that increases the MTOW to 600kg from 560 kg ???...I thought it was not enough for a 40kg increase but supposedly designed by the Germans for that increase

That does seem strange: not much beefing up for a much larger increase.

• Like 1

Thanks Kyle, I'm even more confused now. I think I will just leave it as it is for the time been.

Jon

Sorry if I confused you..that mod is not for a VG its for the VG XL and VG S models they came out at 560kg but at a certain kit serial number you could add these plates and it gave you 600kg...after this all the kits came out as 600kg. In a classic you can only ever upgrade to 560kg

Hi Jon,

The jury struts came as part of the original kit for my VG XL. I later purchased the 600kg upgrade kit separately.

Have no definitive info re the VG, but on thinking back I cannot recall seeing any Sav without the jury struts.

Agree with Mark in #2, get it checked thoroughly.

Bob

I have owned a VG of similar vintage since about 2013.

The data plate stipulates a MTOW of 560kg. The strut attachments are doubled up in line with the modification introduced after the Norwegian crash.

When I bought the aircraft the maximum legal takeoff weight was 544kg. This was simply the NZ regulatory maximum weight of 1200lb, converted to kilograms. Subsequent to the weight limit being lifted to 600kg, or 1320lbs I have felt comfortable operating the aircraft up to 560kg.

I‘m not aware of 544kg appearing anywhere in relation to ICP’s “certification” and so in my opinion if your VG carries the double strut attachment (not to be confused with the 600kg upgrade you should be fine to go to 560kg. I’m assuming the data plate supplied by ICP and usually attached under the tail has 560kg on it.

Peter

Now next question, were can I find any service bulletins and Ad's for the plane. I would like to make sure it is up to date.

PS I am an ex qantas AME but a long time ago, other owner is retired LAME qantas.

Hi Jon, the system is that you contact ICP with the kit number (which is on the build manual and also on the ID plate, normallyattached to the fuse under the tail) and they then give you access to service bulletins.

You send your enquiry to [email protected]

I sent:

"My name is xxxx xxxxxxx, and I am the owner of Savannah S kit #14.11.54.xxxxx

I wish to register with ICP so that I can access Service Bulletins etc.

Thanks and regards,

xxxxx"

Also, FYI, the jury struts would be an easy retrofit: they are normally fitted last and just plant onto the outside of the strut and wing.

I agree with everyone else here: get it checked by someone who knows the Sav.

All the best.

IBob

• Like 1
  • Informative 1