So if we cant fly till Xmas (accept the premise) - Do we expect many sport aircraft being put up for sale.

One nearly got me.

On the take off run the propellor blew to bits just as the aircraft went past where I were sitting. Chunk of wood missed me by a foot..?

I seems to recall most of the fatals back then were licensed pilots. Us self taught ultralight pilots seemed to survive..?

Good to see you make a post about flying, my first loss of thrust was a propeller disintegration in a scout. Good to know I wasn't the only one.

How,

Stock and property inspections best done by drones now. Cheaper and more accurate. High definition.

Can‘t legally do FPV, but who is watching:-)

At the farm right now, we have a fence being replaced and so there is nothing on the east side keeping the sheep in. As sheep, they are showing no signs of wanting to get away, but they sure would be seen from 500 ft if they tried to.

I was ready to tell this to an inspector but none arrived !

Jackc, you will like the story about the first airforce guys at Gawler in WW2. There was nothing there, but they heard that the army had lots of building supplies up in the Adelaide hills. Did they go through channels? No way, they went up and stole them. Way quicker and better and more Australian.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At the farm right now, we have a fence being replaced and so there is nothing on the east side keeping the sheep in. As sheep, they are showing no signs of wanting to get away, but they sure would be seen from 500 ft if they tried to.

I was ready to tell this to an inspector but none arrived !

Jackc, you will like the story about the first airforce guys at Gawler in WW2. There was nothing there, but they heard that the army had lots of building supplies up in the Adelaide hills. Did they go through channels? No way, they went up and stole them. Way quicker and better and more Australian.

I started my Army service over 50 years ago, 6 years of learning to be a master filcher and our whole unit was in it together, if it was connable, swapable or not concreted down it was fair game, the good old days:-) Seems it’s was a long standing trait! Did it hurt anyone? NO!

Must look for that story, thanks!

• Like 1

I started my Army service over 50 years ago, 6 years of learning to be a master filcher and our whole unit was in it together, if it was connable, swapable or not concreted down it was fair game, the good old days:-) Seems it’s was a long standing trait! Did it hurt anyone? NO!

Must look for that story, thanks!

It's what they call a "workaround" these days, normally used to get around an unworkable system, not much has changed.

• Like 1

I just bought an aircraft 4 weeks ago, so what’s to worry about? I made a decision and this Virus is not going to be here for ever. Sure, I hope my flying school weathers the storm and I can continue training. IF this Virus destroys the flying schools and I can t train:-( Guess what? I have good friend in the far west Qld with an airstrip! I will trailer my aircraft out there and ’log’ hours with no instructor:-). Who’s watching!!!

Have you tried the school over wowan way, myles? Get your plane to the CQGC hangar that's over the hill from you and myles is sort of across the road. Just an idea that may work for you.

Someone "worked around" about $400 worth of HDMI cables out of my alternative work space, the one we had been setting up for over a year. This will not go un-punished and its not by my choice

Have you tried the school over wowan way, myles? Get your plane to the CQGC hangar that's over the hill from you and myles is sort of across the road. Just an idea that may work for you.

Mmm.......thanks for that idea, will need a plane though as I cannot train in my 19 rego plane. There WILL be a solution somewhere. Researching a solution in Gladstone, too.

Mmm.......thanks for that idea, will need a plane though as I cannot train in my 19 rego plane. There WILL be a solution somewhere. Researching a solution in Gladstone, too.

On the RAAUS webb site it lists all flight training schools in Qld etc. Myles is the bottom one under Wowan. Worth a phone call and discuss where you at and your goal. On of his aircraft is a Lightwing tail dragger.

• Like 1

On the RAAUS webb site it lists all flight training schools in Qld etc. Myles is the bottom one under Wowan. Worth a phone call and discuss where you at and your goal. On of his aircraft is a Lightwing tail dragger.

Is Myles B. still instructing? If so, highly recommended. Great bloke, great taildragger Pilot.

Someone "worked around" about $400 worth of HDMI cables out of my alternative work space, the one we had been setting up for over a year. This will not go un-punished and its not by my choice

If they stole it for personal use, it's not a workaround. If it's a workaround, someone on your site will be using them because it was impossibly difficult to convince their boss the cables were necessary.

You can see if stock are not acting normally, a flyblown blown sheep will walk/act differently to it's friends. You can see tracks through a fence if it's been pushed over, all from 500 feet. Big places it's very practical for stock/fence/tank inspection.

Going for a fly for inspection of some sort would be a more valid excuse than going to your holiday house on the central NSW coast for the weekend :oh yeah:

You can also see if your stock have been panicked into rushing a boundary fence into your neighbour’s property, see wheel tracks in places they oughtn't be, and pick up on ferals and dog activity.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

How do you pick a fly blown sheep at 500 feet, or count the sheep/cattle ora broken bottom wire, or see if the water in the troughs needs changing.

With the appropriate endorsements you don't need to be at 500 feet.

• Like 1

Well RAA have just sent round tips for placing aircraft in storage...I’m VH registered now but I’m guessing the intended message is clear. Either way I don’t see this going beyond a couple of months, so I for one will happily put my bird to roost.

And the monitor the situation carefully

This is not the time to be looking for ways of bending the rules or flying ‘black ops missions’ :plane:

Alan

• Like 3

I have been warned about the RAA advice as follows:

A pilot with no “essential purpose” cannot take an aircraft up for one last flight as recommended.

Removing the fuel from the tanks, if using AVGAS, can be extremely dangerous unless done properly and using correct funnels into the correct containers.

Only a proper anti-seize, and not grease, should be used on spark plug threads.

Complying with an "advised process" for protecting you idle aircraft and keeping it operationally safe, would seem to be an essential purpose if you propose to use it in the future and not just have a static exhibit or a ceremonial burning (fire restrictions permitting and a safe distance from other aircraft refuelling etc). Nev

• Like 1

I have been warned about the RAA advice as follows:

A pilot with no “essential purpose” cannot take an aircraft up for one last flight as recommended.

Removing the fuel from the tanks, if using AVGAS, can be extremely dangerous unless done properly and using correct funnels into the correct containers.

Only a proper anti-seize, and not grease, should be used on spark plug threads.

I have posted this info before but given the current circumstances I feel it is relevant. For the last year I have worked part time as an ame just because I love all aircraft?, I have learned a lot. The engine in the first pic had a ground run prior to a 100hourly, I removed the rocker cover 24 hours later, the water comes from the combustion process and wasn't burned off due to not reaching operating temperature for long enough. The second pic is my engine taken 24 hours after FLIGHT, about a week after the first pic and similar weather, it was completely dry. One can imagine the water droplets being evenly distributed throughout the crankcase and bores below the piston, not good. I will not be ground running my engine.Resized_20190712_082839_6570.thumb.jpeg.8b69bc2e4c0958cf9677744f57de2f19.jpegResized_20190720_151601_9159.thumb.jpg.0f91604cb3229d00754cff937b0739e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

I've been trying to make that point for ages. For each litre of fuel burned more than a litre of water is formed. The worst thing you can do is run the engine and not get it warm enough to expel the water . I've tried always to not FLY less than 45 minutes if I fire up the engine. NEVER just taxi from the clubhouse to your hangar. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Youtube is my friend:-). Those rag and stick guys never had that advantage:-)

This has to be a wind-up? You just bought an aircraft and now you think you can teach yourself to fly it? And operate safely at low level with no training? I guess being way out n the sticks will be handy.. But leave someone a good plan of your route so they know where to start looking when you don't come back!

• Like 2

I have posted this info before but given the current circumstances I feel it is relevant. For the last year I have worked part time as an ame just because I love all aircraft?, I have learned a lot. The engine in the first pic had a ground run prior to a 100hourly, I removed the rocker cover 24 hours later, the water comes from the combustion process and wasn't burned off due to not reaching operating temperature for long enough. The second pic is my engine taken 24 hours after FLIGHT, about a week after the first pic and similar weather, it was completely dry. One can imagine the water droplets being evenly distributed throughout the crankcase and bores below the piston, not good. I will not be ground running my engine.[ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20190712_082839_6570.jpeg]52193[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20190720_151601_9159.jpg]52194[/ATTACH]

It’s posts like this make it all (forum wise) worthwhile. Noted! ??

• Like 3

This has to be a wind-up? You just bought an aircraft and now you think you can teach yourself to fly it? And operate safely at low level with no training? I guess being way out n the sticks will be handy.. But leave someone a good plan of your route so they know where to start looking when you don't come back!

I have 18 hours up so far, so it’s realistically quite doable. IF my Flying School is grounded for another 6 months, then I would really need to think about it:-)

I have posted this info before but given the current circumstances I feel it is relevant. For the last year I have worked part time as an ame just because I love all aircraft?, I have learned a lot. The engine in the first pic had a ground run prior to a 100hourly, I removed the rocker cover 24 hours later, the water comes from the combustion process and wasn't burned off due to not reaching operating temperature for long enough. The second pic is my engine taken 24 hours after FLIGHT, about a week after the first pic and similar weather, it was completely dry. One can imagine the water droplets being evenly distributed throughout the crankcase and bores below the piston, not good. I will not be ground running my engine.[ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20190712_082839_6570.jpeg]52193[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="Resized_20190720_151601_9159.jpg]52194[/ATTACH]

I will be ground running my engine but will fit one of these first.

4B050D3A-2547-454B-8524-2423F7479F42.thumb.png.eed7b721e3d2f828a5c6d1d76508131f.png