Are any Flying Schools operating at the moment?

slb

A Flying School Cannot Sensibly Operate under Current Conditions.

Let's initially put aside all the temporary restrictions on gatherings, social distancing, and non-essential operations: we should look at what our own personal risks are with just operating a flying school. Selfish I know, but that's common sense to an oldie.

Firstly, it's not possible in a side-by-side trainer to socially distance. I always decline to fly with anyone who shows any flu like symptoms anyway, because they can't focus on their work, and more often than not, they suffer from ear blocks and pain. Besides, having an annual flu injection isn't going to prevent catching a 'new' strain of flu from someone who has just returned from travel: unbeknowns to me.

Secondly, we stopped because the students postponed, and interest in spending on recreational activities dried up as people began to be retrenched. No customers = no need to keep the door open. And I think it will be at least end of year before things change from a demand aspect.

I ceased training operations in early March. RAAus were formally advised. This was due to multiple concerns, mostly to do with limiting my own exposure to known current students, and to TIF prospects: I'm 79 and shouldn't be tempting fate. We have not flown a revenue hour for Feb, Mar or April - and are feeling the pain as it's the prime training - weather window on the south coast. We haven't just suffered a 15%, or 30%, or 50% decline in business - it's 100% !

This has allowed me to seek insurance 'relief', as well as annual landing fee, and hangar lease charges deferrals or extensions.

I'd say that the majority of RAAus, and most country GA schools have long since closed the doors and retreated to social isolation.

happier days,

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Flying School Cannot Sensibly Operate under Current Conditions.

Let's initially put aside all the temporary restrictions on gatherings, social distancing, and non-essential operations: we should look at what our own personal risks are with just operating a flying school. Selfish I know, but that's common sense to an oldie.

Firstly, it's not possible in a side-by-side trainer to socially distance. I always decline to fly with anyone who shows any flu like symptoms anyway, because they can't focus on their work, and more often than not, they suffer from ear blocks and pain. Besides, having an annual flu injection isn't going to prevent catching a 'new' strain of flu from someone who has just returned from travel: unbeknowns to me.

Secondly, we stopped because the students postponed, and interest in spending on recreational activities dried up as people began to be retrenched. No customers = no need to keep the door open. And I think it will be at least end of year before things change from a demand aspect.

I ceased training operations in early March. RAAus were formally advised. This was due to multiple concerns, mostly to do with limiting my own exposure to known current students, and to TIF prospects: I'm 79 and shouldn't be tempting fate. We have not flown a revenue hour for Feb, Mar or April - and are feeling the pain as it's the prime training - weather window on the south coast. We haven't just suffered a 15%, or 30%, or 50% decline in business - it's 100% !

This has allowed me to seek insurance 'relief', as well as annual landing fee, and hangar lease charges deferrals or extensions.

I'd say that the majority of RAAus, and most country GA schools have long since closed the doors and retreated to social isolation.

happier days,

Sadly, some schools may not be able to continue on after this:-(. Livelihoods lost etc. Trouble is, no one can make a plan as no one knows how long the current circumstances will continue. Will the Govt help struggling schools? Will CASA give them a break on paperwork requirements etc? All an unknown quantity. There are LAMES out of work and many others allied to Aviation. Hoping my school is gonna be OK, along with all the others In Aviation.

As of Monday last week AIA were still running training operations out of Port Macquarie or Kempsey. They train mainly Chinese Students to Commercial level and all the fees are paid up front. I have no way of telling whether these were solo or dual flights but they do touch & goes at South Grafton. I was there mowing the runways at the time.

As of Monday last week AIA were still running training operations out of Port Macquarie or Kempsey. They train mainly Chinese Students to Commercial level and all the fees are paid up front. I have no way of telling whether these were solo or dual flights but they do touch & goes at South Grafton. I was there mowing the runways at the time.

They also do touch and goes at Coffs Harbour when I am training there....

Sadly, some schools may not be able to continue on after this:-(. Livelihoods lost etc. Trouble is, no one can make a plan as no one knows how long the current circumstances will continue. Will the Govt help struggling schools? Will CASA give them a break on paperwork requirements etc? All an unknown quantity. There are LAMES out of work and many others allied to Aviation. Hoping my school is gonna be OK, along with all the others In Aviation.

I dont think one needs to be a rocket scientist to realise there will be next to no money coming - Australia has a serious debt problem now.

The Australian government has just shut down most of the income producing part of the economy - the taxpaying part.

So, where will all this promised relief be coming from ?..?

...The joys of printing money..?

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1586643632771.png]52241[/ATTACH]

Sunday 12th Morning. Contrasts with NZ where 2 ag wagons seem to be the only aircraft airborne over the whole country. :-(

That looks like a school excursion of DA40s from Flight Training Adelaide

Further to my posts #362 and #470.

COVID-19, Australia: Epidemiology Report 10 for the period to midnight April 5th has been released.

In summary there has been:

297,154 tests for COVID-19

5,805 positive tests

33 deaths

Of the 5,805 postive tests there has been:

682 admissions to hospital

82 admissions to ICU

with 29 cases requiring ventilations.

In respect to the reportage of the US deaths the figures are misleading as a result of an instruction from the US Centre for Disease Control which says:

COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death.” [boldfacing in original]

"The CDC counts both true COVID-19 cases and speculative guesses of COVID-19 the same. They call it death by COVID-19. They automatically overestimate the real death numbers, by their own admission. Prior to COVID-19, people were more likely to get an accurate cause of death written on their death certificate if they died in the hospital. Why more accurate when a patient dies in the hospital? Because hospital staff has physical examination findings labs, radiologic studies, et cetera, to make a good educated guess. It is estimated that 60 percent of people die in the hospital. But even [with] those in-hospital deaths, the cause of death is not always clear, especially in someone with multiple health conditions, each of which could cause the death." (Montana physician Dr. Annie Bukacek )

The footage we have seen of mass burials on Hart Island (New York) is interring of those who either could not be identified or who were not claimed by relatives. Maybe a reasonable proportion of those were homeless or illegal immigrants for whom poor health is par for the course.

The increasing reportage of cool headed epidemiologists who view the "hibernation" response as unnecessary illustrates that panic response of governments around the world may have been unwarranted in the long run and have caused irrecoverable economic damage.

The footage we have seen of mass burials on Hart Island (New York) is interring of those who either could not be identified or who were not claimed by relatives. Maybe a reasonable proportion of those were homeless or illegal immigrants for whom poor health is par for the course.

Yep.

A simple google will show:

The place has been going a 100 so years - There are over a million people buried on Hart island.

Before the current pandemic there were several ‘loads’ a week sent to Hart island.

Prior to the current ChiCom pandemic coffins were left to accumulate for a few days unburied until they got to a hundred or so - then covered.

They now send the crews out daily to cover the coffins - due to contagion worries.

During the AIDS ‘epidemic’ they were burying the body’s at least 14’ deep.

Seems that the Swedish solution is to take special care of the vulnerable, while the rest of the country caries on--hoping that the young & fit will develop a resistance & the virus will eventually die out. This is the link for the article. I think it looks good. We old & infirm have to go someday.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

• Like 1

Seems that the Swedish solution is to take special care of the vulnerable, while the rest of the country caries on--hoping that the young & fit will develop a resistance & the virus will eventually die out. This is the link for the article. I think it looks good. We old & infirm have to go someday.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

Oh wish we had their leadership!

Be careful. Or you might discover the meaning of the word Zersetzung.

...?