Engine Guages?

Interesting to see people’s panel layouts:-). The only addition I would like to add in my Aeropup panel upgrade is the artificial horizon that is in my training aircraft at Coffs Harbour.

Now Jack, why would you want an expensive AH in you wreakreational aircraft? I hope you are not planning on scud running during your black ops missions.? in all seriousness scud running is number 2 on the list of ways to kill yourself in a GA aircraft. Without the AH you will say to yourself the weather is marginal for today's mission so I won't go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

...scud running is number 2 on the list of ways to kill yourself in a GA aircraft. Without the AH you will say to yourself the weather is marginal for today's mission so I won't go.

And a single gauge usually fails just when you really need it.

Suggestion: If yer not an IF trained pilot and yer intending to use the AH as the 180 degree saviour, then every flight best practise the manoeuvre..?

• Agree 1

Now Jack, why would you want an expensive AH in you wreakreational aircraft? I hope you are not planning on scud running during your black ops missions.? in all seriousness scud running is number 2 on the list of ways to kill yourself in a GA aircraft. Without the AH you will say to yourself the weather is marginal for today's mission so I won't go.

Well, IF I was worried about cost I would not have bought an aircraft:-). No, scud running is not my plan, just fly under ‘em!

this is the unit I would like....as I am not into ‘Home And Away’ glass screens.

https://www.kanardia.eu/product/horis/

There was a compass ( a Bohli i think ) which would stay upright because of the earths magnetic field. It was banned in gliding competitions because people were using them to cloud fly.

A beginner gliding text written in England recommended that you cloud fly even on your first cross country flight, as the advantage was so great.

In Australia, with our much higher cloud base, we didnt need to do this but on a good day, there is a dome under the best cu's and when you straightened out on track, for a minute or so you can be in cloud, keeping on track with the compass and chasing the ASI as you could not hold it steady without a horizon.

• Informative 1

There was a compass ( a Bohli i think ) which would stay upright because of the earths magnetic field. It was banned in gliding competitions because people were using them to cloud fly.

A beginner gliding text written in England recommended that you cloud fly even on your first cross country flight, as the advantage was so great.

In Australia, with our much higher cloud base, we didnt need to do this but on a good day, there is a dome under the best cu's and when you straightened out on track, for a minute or so you can be in cloud, keeping on track with the compass and chasing the ASI as you could not hold it steady without a horizon.

Years ago I read a book about a glider pilots adventures around the world - No AH. Mention were made of several occasions of the need to hold pro spin controls after he lost it in cloud. I suppose thats a way out if there is suitable recovery space below the clouds and the aircraft can take it..?

Artificial horizons were not there because they were banned, However there was a skid ball which incorporated a turn and bank needle. This needed to be disabled for competitions but quite a few people used them outside of competitions. Thermalling in a cloud, you have to keep the needle in the right spot with the ailerons and chase the airspeed. An AH would make keeping the airspeed constant much easier.

These days they make you carry a recorder, what with the AH type apps you can probably load onto your smart phone. The recorder will ping you for going higher than cloudbase.

Digital read outs are not the ideal method. Some kind of "coloured" scale is far superior and even lining up the indicators so "normal" is vertical is often advantageous for engine and other non flying indicators .Audible warnings have their downside. They can annoy you when you are LOADED up. Many indicators have a greater likelihood of failing than the component they are monitoring. I would aim for the minimum needed rather than" I'll take it with the LOT" option.. Flying eyes out of the cockpit has a lot going for it in our type of flying .Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I agree Nev, although it is counter-intuitive. There is a story of a guy who was asked why he landed wheels-up when he had a warning system.

He replied that some darn buzzer stopped him thinking.

Of course, that's in the category " it wouldn't happen to me"

• Like 2

Digital read outs are not the ideal method. Some kind of "coloured" scale is far superior and even lining up the indicators so "normal" is vertical is often advantageous for engine and other non flying indicators .Audible warnings have their downside. They can annoy you when you are LOADED up. Many indicators have a greater likelihood of failing than the component they are monitoring. I would aim for the minimum needed rather than" I'll take it with the LOT" option.. Flying eyes out of the cockpit has a lot going for it in our type of flying .Nev

Yep.

Re sound alert. For one, something to check would be what the oil pressure gauge would indicate when the engine is idled during descent. The buzzer may be going off.