Jumped ship from Cert GA to LSA?

Flightrite

Welcome Fliterite. I gave up GA because I wanted to build my own aircraft and not have to worry about maintaining a Class 2 medical. I have my own home built aircraft that I can maintain myself & go to most places at much lower cost in less time than it used to take in C172 & Archer. The downside for some may be only 1 passenger but in more than 40 years I only took more than 1 maybe 15-20 times.

• Like 4

It looks like I can kill myself in an LSA a lot cheaper than a Cert spam can?

Welcome Flightrite, what have you been flying and what's in the future? I am sure you would agree there is some value in a certified aircraft along with all the AD's that iron out any residual problems.

Welcome Flightrite, what have you been flying and what's in the future? I am sure you would agree there is some value in a certified aircraft along with all the AD's that iron out any residual problems.

Oh I like Cert GA just getting too expensive is all I sometimes fly a mates Savage Cub, cheap as ?

• Like 1

Welcome, Flightrite.. I am thinking of including permit aircraft in my repetoire.. There is a reciprical agreement betwween the UK, France, Germany, Austria and I thnk Italy and Spain so permit aircraft, which covers VLAs and ULAs and maybe even some MLAs are allowed to be flown between these countries on their national licences/certifcates without permission and can stay for a max od 30 days.. So, that £200 flight using a spamcan from a London airfield to Le Touqet for lunch suddenly gets a whole lot cheaper.. and with similar performance (I have only flown across the channel once with more than two people in the A/C and I was not flying that day). In the UK and at least the other countries listed in Europe,, permit aircraft (the collective term for VLA, ULA and I think, microlights) have virtually the same privileges as GA aircraft if they are adequately equipped (Mode S transponder and 8.33KHz radio). I think (but don't quote me), they have a dispensation for a full flight radiotelephone operators licence but do some training - the skies are too small here not to use the radio (though some stubbornly don't have the radio or transponder - but not many - and they do have restrictions as they can't transitcontrolled airspace nor transit transmponderor radio mandtory zones, nor can they cross an international flight boundary). Also, recently, the CAA have, with the LAA (equivalent of RAAus) allowed permit aircraft suitably equiped to be used for IMC flight for suitably qualified pilots (Sub ICAO IMC rating/Instrument Rating (Restricted).

I will still fly cert GA as I also go to Belgium and that is a 90EUR fee for permission for set dates in and out for permit aircraft and no refund if the wx doesn't play balkl or for someother reason you can't makeit. Also, I go to other countries in Europe and was planning Turkey at the end of April - just cancelled it though.

• Like 1

No worries! WIll have to watch my typing though..

It's different in Europe. I learned between YMMB and YCEM (I am an Aussie expat). There is great flying in Aus; there is great flying here, too.. just different.. The regulators are much the same anywhere, though EASA is a real pain in the posterior... The CAA much more practical and as EASA can't get their grubby hands on anything other than cert (though they have slightly encroached), we enjoy a bit more of a practical approach.

Oh I like Cert GA just getting too expensive is all I sometimes fly a mates Savage Cub, cheap as ?

I’ve been graduating downward from GA to LSA to ultralight. No sure what’s lighter after this. Probably powered hand gliding. My own experience is it becomes more fun and more real as you get lighter and less around you. Especially the wind in the face Quicksilver flying I was doing in Philippines. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 2

Hey now there's a thought, that would be cool but scary too!?

Most definitely the final word on lightweight flying. The rudder is still foot operated and hand /arm operated ailerons so it’s pretty much an aircraft ?

• Like 1

It looks like I can kill myself in an LSA a lot cheaper than a Cert spam can?

All I would say is be careful entering the LSA category you will find unexpected hurdles if you buy a certified plane.