Not allowed out to fly

Admin

Nev, many a car or 4WD fuel tank neck opening won't take the bigger Hi-flow nozzle. If they do, the tank venting system won't purge air fast enough. Truck fuel tanks have no such problems.

My son lent me a Merc 230SLK Compressor the other day. As usual it had bugger all fuel left in it. I thought i'd just put in about $30 bucks worth of fuel in it, and it did seem to be a very quick delivery. It obviously couldn't handle the high delivery rate and vented a decent size patch of fuel on the ground which needed washing away. Presumeably that's the reason why.

• Like 1

Brother used to have a Landcruiser with a long-range tank fitted. The original tank was about 80 litres, I think the long range tank was another 120 litres, making about 200 litres all-up.

He'd pull into a servo to fill up when near empty, and the person waiting behind him would get really toey when it took him about 10 mins to fill her right up! LOL

I've got a 200-series and just had a long range tank fitted. 273 litres of fuel on board. Of course, I got a GVM upgrade at the same time and do you think ARB had the foresight to re-weigh the vehicle for the RTA engineer before they filled the tank? Nooooooo, of course not..... So now I'm stuck trying to drive 2000km to get the weight down enough to get it back on a weighbridge. :bash:

The previous car was a NP300 Navara, also with a long range tank, and I got told off by the servo attendants several times for using the filler cap wedged under the nozzle trigger to hold it open because nowhere seems to have the hold-open clips on the low-flow diesel hoses anymore. :whistling:

• 8 months later...
On 01/06/2020 at 8:43 AM, KRviator said:

I've got a 200-series and just had a long range tank fitted. 273 litres of fuel on board. Of course, I got a GVM upgrade at the same time and do you think ARB had the foresight to re-weigh the vehicle for the RTA engineer before they filled the tank? Nooooooo, of course not..... So now I'm stuck trying to drive 2000km to get the weight down enough to get it back on a weighbridge. :bash:

The previous car was a NP300 Navara, also with a long range tank, and I got told off by the servo attendants several times for using the filler cap wedged under the nozzle trigger to hold it open because nowhere seems to have the hold-open clips on the low-flow diesel hoses anymore. :whistling:

273 litres is crazy! What kind of range do you get from that?

Typically around 1,600km.

With all the gear it isnt exactly lightweight - or aerodynamic. I record date, distance travelled, quantity added and indicated consumption (to crosscheck against actual) to track actual fuel economy and usually get 15.5-16.5 without a trailer.

The long term average over 19,000km so far, with highway, towing, around town etc is 16.12L/100.

Edited by KRviator

• 5 months later...
On 14/04/2020 at 9:34 AM, onetrack said:

I'm quite happy to pay twice as much for Australian-made shoes that fit my feet properly and neatly, and which give me proper balance - unlike the Chinese $20 rubbish footwear that is designed to fit the weird-shaped feet of Chinese peasants, and which footwear throws you off balance when you stand up, because they haven't figured out to build soles with the proper contours.

I'm quite happy to pay twice as much for Australian-made pens that have inbuilt durability, and which work every time you put them to paper, and which last three times as long as rubbishy Chinese pens that end up in wastebaskets in two weeks.

I buy Australian bacon where I can now, and it doesn't cost five times as much as crap Canadian or Danish bacon.

I think this current economic, cultural, workplace, health and environmental shakeup is what is needed, and it will make many people think about what they are doing, with the race to the bottom, as it has currently stood, by way of buying the very cheapest, throwaway product, that will barely do the job.…….

I largely agree, but I think one important factor you left out, I remember when all the Taiwanese made tools were cheap….and junk. It took a few years but now they are as good as the best. I don’t like Chinas government and would happily support its removal or democratisation, but one thing is some Chinese goods are just that, good. I’ve owned a small Chinese made CFMoto little commuter motorcycle. It’s done around 25 000 Kms trouble free and still looks brand new at 5 years old. I bought my wife a Haval H2. SUV. At the time, nothing came even close spec wise, for the price. Took a punt. Had it for four years and it’s been fantastic we love trips in it. Chinese junk….not really anymore. It’s an interesting situation. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, F10 said:

I largely agree, but I think one important factor you left out, I remember when all the Taiwanese made tools were cheap….and junk. It took a few years but now they are as good as the best. I don’t like Chinas government and would happily support its removal or democratisation, but one thing is some Chinese goods are just that, good. I’ve owned a small Chinese made CFMoto little commuter motorcycle. It’s done around 25 000 Kms trouble free and still looks brand new at 5 years old. I bought my wife a Haval H2. SUV. At the time, nothing came even close spec wise, for the price. Took a punt. Had it for four years and it’s been fantastic we love trips in it. Chinese junk….not really anymore. It’s an interesting situation. 

Hyundai cars used to be awful. Now, I actually think that they are a little bit actually cool. It's like they are the new Holden, and Nissan and Mitsubishi are a bit yawn. I am biassed. But I enjoyed driving my Hyundai i30 more than the more expensive more refined Mazda 3. The main thing was the seats were more comfy. 

At the moment, I am opposed to Chinese cars because the Chinese want to take over the world. But it is good to know that your Chinese stuff has been going well. Motoring writers emphasise handling and what not. They can't understand (for want of a better word) why the Hilux is more popular than the Ford Ranger. The reason is reliability. 

Yep.  The only vehicle in our fleet that was replaced early was a Ford ranger … simply because it was always our for repair/maintenance. The rest - all Japanese and Korean - have happily just run in with Std service and get to life and just keep going. 

There's another simple reason why Toyota is the worlds most profitable manufacturer - with $50B cash in the bank - and why their sales went up 50% in the COVID-19 downturn, when nearly every other manufacturers sales fell. That reason is resale value - as well as reliability and long life.

Good luck with getting rid of your Haval or Great Wally when you want to quit it - as we all have to quit out vehicles sometime - unless you just drive it into the ground, and scrap it.

When I sell my Toyotas, I have to knock buyers back with a stick - and they are keen and willing buyers, and they pay top money for them.

But if you own a Haval or Great Wally, they are virtually unsaleable in used condition, you will virtually have to give them away.

If you own a Mitsubishi, a Nissan, or a Mazda, you have to work hard to sell them, and get a reasonable price for them. It takes weeks and weeks to sell a used Nissan, Mitsubishi or Mazda.

People have great trust in Toyota to deliver long-lasting reliable vehicles, that retain their value at high levels, for a long period of time.

I have yet to see what EV's are like for holding their resale value. I have a suspicion they will hold their resale value like used toasters do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Funny, But

Mitsubishi Delica's seem have a good resale value. but then it's an Import.  such a pity they ( Mistsi ) stopped making them.

A hybrid diesel : Pajero running gear under a Starwagon body. full four wheel drive, with upmarket luxury, ( remote opening windows ) .

spacesailor

"At the moment, I am opposed to Chinese cars because the Chinese want to take over the world." end of quote

Where did you get such a racist opinion?. Have you visited China, do you know much about its history?.

So many Australians have been  turned against our most important trading partner by a media dominated & controlled by the US.

A few facts, China with the largest population in the world was a basket case only 50 years ago.

India with a similar population but a democratic system was in a more advanced   position at that time.

India is now a 3rd class country with a millions of people living in extreme poverty.

In the last 50 years China has come from a really poverty stricken 3rd world economy to be close to the US in 

technological capacity.

Their citizens have a much better standard of living & future than their neighbours in India & their standard of living

will  equal those in the US in the not to distant future.

There education ensures that all students get the benefit of free education to the limit of the students ability.

They may live in huge blocks of flats but there are fewer homeless than in the US.

They have never threatened other countries or invaded them in our era. Even in the past they built a huge wall to

keep others out.

They will replace the US & be the world leader in  technology & trade.

The US is the most aggressive country in the world. They have in 70 years killed more innocent civilians &   

destroyed  more homes & infrastructure than any country in the history of the world. In a desperate attempt to 

stop the spread of communism. In that time they have never been able to change the direction of the people they

invaded.

They have applied sanctions on numerous countries simply because they do not like their political system.

They have threatened countries for purchasing arms from competitors.

The political system in the US is a basket case, They have no universal health system,

University is for those who can afford it not for those who qualify.

They have even interfered in the Australian political system. (removed Whitlam)( read the historical events)

The US government are currently paying private phone companies to remove 4G Huawi equipment. Its costing over 1 Billion for the 1st stage. They have no universal health system & extensive poverty & homelessness. There hospitals were using plastic bin bags for protective equipment a few months ago due to lack of funding. They would rather try & spite China than look after their own population. I Billion would buy a lot of protective gear.( There was never a known security problem with the 4G equipment.)

The above  are facts.

The Tesla Cars built in China are reputed to be of a higher standard than those built in the US. My only experience with an American SUV was a Ford Explorer, 12 months after purchase I saw underneath when it was on a ramp for service. It had so much rust that it appeared to have been living in the ocean. At that time the Ford Explorer had zero underbody protection. I mean ZERO, not even  paint. It took much complaining & threats but eventually Ford had the fuel tank removed & the whole underbody sand blasted & painted. 5 days later I had a near normal SUV.

I have spent 4 weeks travelling  in the Southern States in the US, 3 weeks the length of Russia & 3 weeks through China.

So sad to think of the millions of decent hard working people of all races who will die if we ever have war.

If it happens it will not be China that starts it as they only have to be patient to replace the US as the number1 world power.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

35 minutes ago, John Robert said:

"At the moment, I am opposed to Chinese cars because the Chinese want to take over the world." end of quote

Where did you get such a racist opinion?. Have you visited China, do you know much about its history?.

So many Australians have been  turned against our most important trading partner by a media dominated & controlled by the US.

A few facts, China with the largest population in the world was a basket case only 50 years ago.

India with a similar population but a democratic system was in a more advanced   position at that time.

India is now a 3rd class country with a millions of people living in extreme poverty.

In the last 50 years China has come from a really poverty stricken 3rd world economy to be close to the US in 

technological capacity.

Their citizens have a much better standard of living & future than their neighbours in India & their standard of living

will  equal those in the US in the not to distant future.

There education ensures that all students get the benefit of free education to the limit of the students ability.

They may live in huge blocks of flats but there are fewer homeless than in the US.

They have never threatened other countries or invaded them in our era. Even in the past they built a huge wall to

keep others out.

They will replace the US & be the world leader in  technology & trade.

The US is the most aggressive country in the world. They have in 70 years killed more innocent civilians &   

destroyed  more homes & infrastructure than any country in the history of the world. In a desperate attempt to 

stop the spread of communism. In that time they have never been able to change the direction of the people they

invaded.

They have applied sanctions on numerous countries simply because they do not like their political system.

They have threatened countries for purchasing arms from competitors.

The political system in the US is a basket case, They have no universal health system,

University is for those who can afford it not for those who qualify.

They have even interfered in the Australian political system. (removed Whitlam)( read the historical events)

The US government are currently paying private phone companies to remove 4G Huawi equipment. Its costing over 1 Billion for the 1st stage. They have no universal health system & extensive poverty & homelessness. There hospitals were using plastic bin bags for protective equipment a few months ago due to lack of funding. They would rather try & spite China than look after their own population. I Billion would buy a lot of protective gear.( There was never a known security problem with the 4G equipment.)

The above  are facts.

The Tesla Cars built in China are reputed to be of a higher standard than those built in the US. My only experience with an American SUV was a Ford Explorer, 12 months after purchase I saw underneath when it was on a ramp for service. It had so much rust that it appeared to have been living in the ocean. At that time the Ford Explorer had zero underbody protection. I mean ZERO, not even  paint. It took much complaining & threats but eventually Ford had the fuel tank removed & the whole underbody sand blasted & painted. 5 days later I had a near normal SUV.

I have spent 4 weeks travelling  in the Southern States in the US, 3 weeks the length of Russia & 3 weeks through China.

So sad to think of the millions of decent hard working people of all races who will die if we ever have war.

If it happens it will not be China that starts it as they only have to be patient to replace the US as the number1 world power.

Calling me racist was a jerk move. You wrote a lot but very little was about whether or not China wants to take over the world. 

In fact, in our era, China has invaded Tibet, Korea and Vietnam and had border clashes with India and Russia. It has bern in conflict with Japan over islands. It has invaded the sea space of lots of Asian neighbours with the nine-dash line in the South China Sea.

The belt and road initiative is designed to, amongst other things, control other countries through debt. 

With China’s wolf warrior “diplomacy” has been a disaster for them. They could have quietly gone and bought the world, so to speak, but showed their hand ranting any time someone criticises them. 

You wasted a lot of time saying how great China is compared to the US and India. I agree with those comments, but they don’t contradict my point. To return to calling me racist: kindly demonstrate that my comment was racist or retract the allegation. It is very poor form to accuse someone of racism when they are not racist and have not done anything racist. China and Taiwan have basically the same ethnicity, but China is basically saying that they will invade Taiwan, another place they intend to take over. How can I be racist against Chinese when I fear for Taiwan? Same race, genius. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've had Toyota's & Fords (apart from a couple of old Holden's back in 70's which I wish I still had!) my entire 48 years driving, the Toyota's where worth their weight in gold as was the two Ford Falcons. Never bought a new car, must have saved myself a fortune over those years:-) The Ford Ranger is a POS, a mate who has his own mech business has made a reg income from their crap:-)

As for Chinese junk? Well we'd be stuffed without China!

59 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

DID China invade Korea and Vietnam ?.

Perhaps my History is wrong again, ( I get it,  government twisted ).

spacesailor

APenName… is right about recent aggression by China, which is perhaps understandable given the couple of centuries of humiliation they are emerging from.  I believe China claims they are just reclaiming territory taken from them in the past by aggressive colonizing European powers.

The statement "the Chinese  want to takeover the world " is racist. I have met Chinese who are no different than I am. There wish would be to have a happy healthy & hopefully prosperous life. It is wrong to assume that they have, as individuals any wish to dominate anyone else.

I grew up reading comics where the Nazi Germans were the most evil guys. I was taught to hate Germans as a child.That racist feeling persisted until in my 20s I met a Scot who had spent nearly all of the 2nd world war as a POW. He was telling me about his experiences & happened to mention that he still wrote to one of the guards 20 years after war end. When he explained that the normal German was just like me & him I was able to get rid of those racist feelings. One of my best friends was born in Germany & his father fought in the war. Not by choice but by regulation.

I have noticed that the news media & also Hollywood movies depict the "bad " guys to direct the opinions of the masses. The Bond movies always had a Russian as the bad guy  until the fall of the Soviet Union. After that we got the ruthless triad gangs & Chinese communists. 9.11 brought in the Arab Terrorist & lately we are back to the Chinese. I am sure it is no coincidence but is in fact designed to cause  racism in the community . Donald Trump was able to manipulate the public by demonising groups & countries very effectively. I believe we  have politicians with the same intentions.

If our government had legitimate concerns about a major partners behaviour would it not be more successful to have a quiet word of advice in confidence than to name call & create a situation where aggression is the only  response. The ensuing bad feeling must have really impressed our masters the US Sherrifs.

We have created a situation where we cannot give our Chinese  partners advice.

It has also fostered racist emotions within the Australia community to the point where Chinese are being openly abused in public.

People are not the problem in our world , politicians are.

4 hours ago, John Robert said:

The statement "the Chinese  want to takeover the world " is racist. I have met Chinese who are no different than I am. There wish would be to have a happy healthy & hopefully prosperous life. It is wrong to assume that they have, as individuals any wish to dominate anyone else.

I grew up reading comics where the Nazi Germans were the most evil guys. I was taught to hate Germans as a child.That racist feeling persisted until in my 20s I met a Scot who had spent nearly all of the 2nd world war as a POW. He was telling me about his experiences & happened to mention that he still wrote to one of the guards 20 years after war end. When he explained that the normal German was just like me & him I was able to get rid of those racist feelings. One of my best friends was born in Germany & his father fought in the war. Not by choice but by regulation.

I have noticed that the news media & also Hollywood movies depict the "bad " guys to direct the opinions of the masses. The Bond movies always had a Russian as the bad guy  until the fall of the Soviet Union. After that we got the ruthless triad gangs & Chinese communists. 9.11 brought in the Arab Terrorist & lately we are back to the Chinese. I am sure it is no coincidence but is in fact designed to cause  racism in the community . Donald Trump was able to manipulate the public by demonising groups & countries very effectively. I believe we  have politicians with the same intentions.

If our government had legitimate concerns about a major partners behaviour would it not be more successful to have a quiet word of advice in confidence than to name call & create a situation where aggression is the only  response. The ensuing bad feeling must have really impressed our masters the US Sherrifs.

We have created a situation where we cannot give our Chinese  partners advice.

It has also fostered racist emotions within the Australia community to the point where Chinese are being openly abused in public.

People are not the problem in our world , politicians are.

Okay. How’s this? “At the moment, I am opposed to Chinese cars because the Chinese government wants to take over the world.” Are you happy with that? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

It's not the Chinese people. I know a few and they are the nicest people, And they don't want war any more than we do. It's the Chinese Communist Party and that smug looking stuffed shirt Xi Jinping. I also have a Taiwanese friend, and they fear being suppressed just as the Hong Kong people are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I got a bit racist when in the USA. There was a billionaire starting a school for gifted kids in silicon valley. Selection was on the basis of an IQ test.

But the billionaire insisted that the racial mix of the school reflected that of the contributing suburbs.

Here's what happened....  If you looked white, no change to your score. If you looked chinese, 6 points were subtracted. If you looked black, 20 points were added.

Now this is not really a racist rant, for all I know the top student was black.

AND if you look at the olympics, why is table tennis dominated by chinese but the 100m dash is dominated by negros? Surely the answer is that different races are ....  well....  different.  Why is it racist to notice this?

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s racist to notice difference. It’s obvious that people from different places and cultures have different characteristics. The problems start when those differences result in differentiation and discrimination. We have many different races and cultures here in Australia, but compared to many other countries like the US, we do remarkably well in creating a pretty homogeneous society. I’ve always thought the Australian accent is a great unifying factor in smoothing out cultural differences over time. 

When I were a young(er) man, to be called 'discriminating' was a compliment. It describes a person who chooses wisely.

So I believe that discrimination is simply the act of deciding a preference.

Discrimination is essential to life.

For instance,

I discriminate against bad wine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Given the thread drift I'll make the distinction between acts/inactions and underlying beliefs.

The belief that difference based on race or nation exists is racism or xenophobia.

Choosing to act or not act towards someone based on those beliefs is discrimination.

If that discrimination is in the provision of goods and services in Australia then you are in the realm of unlawful discrimination. 

If your discrimination is not unlawful then it falls to individuals assessing your actions and expressed views that are racist or xenophobic to decide their reactions to you. 

On this forum one option is the ignore user function. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1