Question regarding Ceramic Coating on Exhaust/Muffler

ozzietriker

G'day All,

I'd love to hear from someone who has a Rotax 912/914 engine and has since got their muffler and exhaust components ceramic coated. Are you happy with appearance and is it withstanding the test of time? appreciate any pictures also you may have to share. I have previously done this on other engine exhausts with excellent results as it offers good surface protection from scratches, dirt and lasts longer than the basic paint manufacturers use on exhausts - mine is starting to look a little sad. Any experiences/opinions and referals would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Had my 912 exhaust done....twice now. Still far far cheaper than having to replace it.

First coating was a chrome/silver finish. Looked outstanding new.

Started to fade to a dull gray quite quickly.

After 4 years I had it recoated in turbo black. This has been on 4 years and still ok.

The turbo black had the highest heat rating. Because aircraft exhausts are so thin they really get hotter than other exhausts.

I had the work done in WA at cic ceramics. Plenty of places over east to get the same job done I would imagine.

Make sure you get the highest heat rating.

Interesting concept - never thought to have it done. The only issue I have ever had with my 20 year old, 920 hr 912 ULS exhaust was hairline cracking on the exit/exhaust side of the main "barrel". I put this own to harmonics/ vibration and just replaced the unit now with a spring, attached to the exhaust pipe, hopefully providing some damping of any tendency of the pipe to vibrate.

Had my 912 exhaust done....twice now. Still far far cheaper than having to replace it.

First coating was a chrome/silver finish. Looked outstanding new.

Started to fade to a dull gray quite quickly.

After 4 years I had it recoated in turbo black. This has been on 4 years and still ok.

The turbo black had the highest heat rating. Because aircraft exhausts are so thin they really get hotter than other exhausts.

I had the work done in WA at cic ceramics. Plenty of places over east to get the same job done I would imagine.

Make sure you get the highest heat rating.

G'day Downunder,

Thanks very much for your reply and advice given. Yes I like the turbo black colour - i'll definitely ask for the highest heat rating. Out of curiosity, what did it cost you to get the muffler and 4 manifold pipes ceramic coated?

Cheers,

Andrew

Interesting concept - never thought to have it done. The only issue I have ever had with my 20 year old, 920 hr 912 ULS exhaust was hairline cracking on the exit/exhaust side of the main "barrel". I put this own to harmonics/ vibration and just replaced the unit now with a spring, attached to the exhaust pipe, hopefully providing some damping of any tendency of the pipe to vibrate.

Hi Skippydiesel,

Yes ceramic coating is a great way of maintaining good surface protection for your exhaust, it may even help to remove heat better and generally looks great.

tailwinds,

Andrew

I had my exhausts coated in the highest heat resistance. I did it to keep heat down under cowl. It didn’t make a scrap of difference and I have had to wrap them again. If you are going for looks it’s good and will preserve the pipes but don’t bother if you are primarily going for heat reduction

37B62183-FBAA-42EF-A4AE-E539C22ADC81.thumb.jpeg.f1142928892d6a1fd78ee652ca64ccd0.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree about the heat, I don't think there is much insulation. (Wouldn't be a problem on a trike anyway)

I did it initally as there was some surface rust forming on the new engine exhaust and in the long term I would be looking at exhaust replacement.

It looked bad and the price of a new exhaust made my eyes water......

I think it was about $350 or $400.....

Don't spill anything on a hot coated exhaust or spill something on a cold exhaust, then run your engine. Wipe it up....

You may get a stain or discolouration. ....

• Like 1

That's a ceramic stoving process, called (I think) Black Japan. it's usually only done on Cast iron headers. Cadillac, LA Salle, Packard and Indian Fours. It's quite thick around 3/4 MM coat and will chip if impacted hard.. Nev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I cant see coating your stainless steal exhaust system with any material will do anything other than empty your wallet.

Certainly those applications where the engine is exposed at all times, may derive an aesthetic benefit but longevity or heat control - strongly doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Stainless steel is more brittle than mild steel and will probably crack more easily. Pencil lines on exhaust systems are a no no as the carbon (graphite) forms a hard line in the material, and likely to crack also.

I've used sprayed aluminium on racing cars exhausts with some success. Turbo exhausts run much hotter and are generally stainless...Nev

• Like 1

I had my exhausts coated in the highest heat resistance. I did it to keep heat down under cowl. It didn’t make a scrap of difference and I have had to wrap them again. If you are going for looks it’s good and will preserve the pipes but don’t bother if you are primarily going for heat reduction

Thanks for the reply and pictures - looking great. Yes the idea to get mine done is purely for looks and surface protection - mine is looking a little sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my 912 exhaust system ceramic coated yesterday in Turbo-Black colour at Competition Coatings in Acherfield BNE $300 - very happy with the job (pictures attached).

Thanks fellas for your advice and opinions :)

cheers,

Andrew

98114782_362598464701085_7670645040414195712_n.thumb.jpg.5d295e5e0c6127200957b2bdaff585ce.jpg

98594849_1083139815406084_3379224352313573376_n.thumb.jpg.babc735b4aaa123bba50291cc37f5482.jpg

99246360_886035855205969_4543954787896393728_n.thumb.jpg.fd638fbbe3a8ea4d358bc399940e38d2.jpg

100060861_545133819726332_5180874467680714752_n.thumb.jpg.418447d98674b07f057eaea6f0bad066.jpg

• Like 3

Used to use dull aluminium metalsprayed on with race cars. The best heat stopper is a heatshield. Lagging may make the pipe very hot on some places. While hot gases flow better the exhaust valve is IN it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is this coating guaranteed to give you an extra 10kts in airspeed? It looks pretty flash.:cheezy grin:

Onetrack, it's purely for surface protection and good looks. Guaranteed to make the machine looking more sexy now hehe..

• Like 1

"Protection" ? - must be in a salty environment. My untreated 20 year old exhaust system may not look quite as "schmick" as new. Bit of heat discolouration about covers it but it is still in great condition.

"Protection" ? - must be in a salty environment. My untreated 20 year old exhaust system may not look quite as "schmick" as new. Bit of heat discolouration about covers it but it is still in great condition.

no Skippy - i'm well and truly inland.