Lockdown Projects

Bootstrapper

At least I can go to Kellets and speak to someone who can give me advice on what I need in the way of a motor and ESC. I'll have to chase a plan for a corflute model.

Corflute has its uses but you might like to check out Depron (foam) for model making, OME. You can buy sheets of various thicknesses in bulk packs from Trade Warehouse Direct at Riverstone (Sydney) they also have a warehouse in Perth and can deliver anywhere. It can be covered with standard modelling heat-shrink film (like Monokote) or that brown or clear packing tape from Bunnings. (You can get coloured packing tape from Banggood.) You can also use "laminating film" but I have no idea where you can buy it in anything less than 'commercial' quantities and it only comes in clear. The best glue for foam is "UHU Por" from TWD or Gorilla Glue (original), from Bunnings. While quite 'bendy', it can be made into adequately rigid structures for smaller models. In larger models, I've found it most useful for making parts that carry no structural load, like wing ribs and fairings.

Another good source of advice about all things aeromodelling, including electric power systems, is the on-line forums. One of the best is "rcgroups.com". Cheers! Paul.

check out Depron (foam) for model making

Apparently, from posts in RCGroups, the good Depron that was used in the past is no longer made. Any Depron now is a much softer product, not very suitable for making aircraft, especially a trainer. I'm going to ask some local real estate agents if they have any old corflute For Sale signs. Bunnings have corflute sheets at $6 for a 900 x 600 sheet, but I'm a tightwad and prefer to go on the scrounge.

As for my other lockdown projects, I've finished the office saddle seat for the daughter; washed and detailed the wife's car; laid a brick edge for a garden bed; de-rusted and repacked the bearings in a couple of wheel hub assemblies and am halfway an annual maintenance inspection of the lawn mower. With the lockdown, it will take a month of Sundays to get my collected drink containers cashed in, but I need to do it soon so I can start on my motorcycle trailer.

• Like 1

This is my FPV 'cruiser". It's a 'own-design' scratchbuild, basesed loosely on the ZOHD Talon. Dimensions are roughly similar to the Talon. Pusher prop 10 x 6, 750Kv motor, 45A ESC, 4-S LiPo, 3000mA/H. Materials: Balsa and Depron. Flying weight ~1.5kg. It is fitted with a ZOHD Kopilot (stabiliser and return-to-home, only) but once the maiden is complete and the model is trimmed out, I'll be installing a 'proper' Matek flight conroller with much more functionality. FPV camera and video transmitter will be fitted to the top of the canopy. (I might put the camera on a servo so it can be panned. I'll control it with the rudder-stick as this is a 'bank-and-yank' - aileron/elevator, only - model.)

Lockdown1a.thumb.jpg.d53a8795e244b5152aa7dd53e4adc232.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Apparently, from posts in RCGroups, the good Depron that was used in the past is no longer made...

I've heard the same thing. I have seen models made of Corflute but they tend to be heavy and as a result, need to be flown fast. If you're a beginner, you'll be disapointed. See if you can find plans for something with a very large wing area, relative to the fuselage. The "Lazy Bee" or the "Mud Duck" are two designs that are real "floaters" that could be built of Corflute and would fly well (and slowly) at higher weights. A Corflute wing would be stiff enough (with strut-bracing) to be built as a 'single-surface' and that will really fly slowly. Another resource for plans is Flite Test | RC Planes, Quadcopters, Videos, Articles & More They also have great advice for beginners. Their planes are made from "Dollar Tree foam" which is like foamboard here, except that the paper can be easily removed. Unfortunately, DTF isn't avaliable in Australia but their plans could be built in Corflute, subject to the caveats I mentioned. They do sell kits which aren't prohibitively expensive.

• Agree 1

This is my FPV 'cruiser". It's a 'own-design' scratchbuild, basesed loosely on the ZOHD Talon. Dimensions are roughly similar to the Talon. Pusher prop 10 x 6, 750Kv motor, 45A ESC, 4-S LiPo, 3000mA/H. Materials: Balsa and Depron. Flying weight ~1.5kg. It is fitted with a ZOHD Kopilot (stabiliser and return-to-home, only) but once the maiden is complete and the model is trimmed out, I'll be installing a 'proper' Matek flight conroller with much more functionality. FPV camera and video transmitter will be fitted to the top of the canopy. (I might put the camera on a servo so it can be panned. I'll control it with the rudder-stick as this is a 'bank-and-yank' - aileron/elevator, only - model.)

[ATTACH type=full]52660[/ATTACH]

That looks good?I see you are a 'tractor' driver too?

• Like 1

OME,

I have a bike trailer that has rarely been used. has a wooden box and lid approx 3ft by 4 ft and would suit any large bike. I assume you mean a trailer to go behind a bike. It can be yours dirt cheap if you want a head start.

Give me a PM.

Thanks, but the trailer I want to build is to transport the bike if needed. SWMBO reckons that a trailer needs to be on hand every time I go for a ride in case it needs assistance to get back home. This is what it should look like before the mudguards and light bar go on. You can see that there is a number of linch pins. These allow the trailer to be pulled down into a smaller volume for storage.

1587963378103.png.567160db9e2f884878f16f573a865e73.png1587963463502.png.b41b556af3d3e7df155272eadde5a887.png

• Like 2

Apparently, from posts in RCGroups, the good Depron that was used in the past is no longer made. Any Depron now is a much softer product, not very suitable for making aircraft, especially a trainer. I'm going to ask some local real estate agents if they have any old corflute For Sale signs. Bunnings have corflute sheets at $6 for a 900 x 600 sheet, but I'm a tightwad and prefer to go on the scrounge.

As for my other lockdown projects, I've finished the office saddle seat for the daughter; washed and detailed the wife's car; laid a brick edge for a garden bed; de-rusted and repacked the bearings in a couple of wheel hub assemblies and am halfway an annual maintenance inspection of the lawn mower. With the lockdown, it will take a month of Sundays to get my collected drink containers cashed in, but I need to do it soon so I can start on my motorcycle trailer.

You get sponsorship also using real estate boards, advertising space is gold, First national, PRD, LJ Hooker, you could send them a bill to cover costs.:cheezy grin:

Three things off the To Do list today - I finished the engine service and general bodywork tidy up on my lawn mower, and I got to the can recycling place and got $28.50 for my cans and bottles. Then I went and topped up the petrol in the car and filled some containers so I've got 30 litres on hand. It's amazing when the figure in the cost window is less than the figure in the litres issued window.

I'm tossing up whether to go to Officeworks tomorrow to get some foam sheet to make an RC plane, or to go to the steel suppliers to get the steel to make the bike trailer.

• Like 1

Three things off the To Do list today - I finished the engine service and general bodywork tidy up on my lawn mower, and I got to the can recycling place and got $28.50 for my cans and bottles. Then I went and topped up the petrol in the car and filled some containers so I've got 30 litres on hand. It's amazing when the figure in the cost window is less than the figure in the litres issued window.

I'm tossing up whether to go to Officeworks tomorrow to get some foam sheet to make an RC plane, or to go to the steel suppliers to get the steel to make the bike trailer.

Go to a hardware store and buy plenty of jerry cans cause when all this nonsense is over watch the fuel price rocket up faster than a politicians salary!