How many Aussie Commercial Pilots will be out of work by Xmas 2020 AND

SSCBD

Not have a go at any one - just looking at the reality (in the new world) for commercial pilots. And other staff leaving the aviation sector. Including commercial flying schools and students that have started their courses. (will they close and students have lost the fees they paid?

So - How many Aussie Commercial Pilots will be out of work and the industry by Xmas 2020 AND also do you think RAA will get a rush of members and RAA instructors.

No idea, SSCBD. There will always be flying despite the best efforts of some to control it and/or make it more complex and expensive than it needs to be. In my view. it's gotten to a lesser level of pilot satisfaction in the last 20 years than at any time since the WW2. even though the Airlines have grown a lot. Most think the best times were in the past even though the reality was less safe. U/L's can be expensive if you buy "off the Hook" but they perform well. After the war, there were a lot of planes available to fly but the fabric and wood ones had an eventual upkeep problem. replaced by the USA "3" at serious prices for the average bloke....Nev

So - How many Aussie Commercial Pilots will be out of work and the industry by Xmas 2020 AND also do you think RAA will get a rush of members and RAA instructors.

There won't be any rush by CPL students to go RAAus because in many instances, future employers look askance at RAAus hours used to build a 200hr CPL.

Likely that there will be a further slowing in 'demand' for RAAus flying, (and GA for that matter), meaning less instruction needed. As most RAAus schools are 1 or 2 part-time instructor employers, all I see is that these owner/operator schools will batten down, reduce costs, and slowly, slowly return to some flying. Instructors who are dual rated will find more work than those in either GA or RAAus.

happy days?

Maybe, but I don't think so. It was tough yesterday but will be tougher tomorrow. There were already airlines in strife due the lesser profits from Oil . Seats are as cheap as they've ever been and can't stay where the planes must be full or you are losing money every hour you fly. Too much flying is unnecessary. Prices must rise to have certainty of continued operations whether people like that or not. When the cost goes up less will fly. Also the world has been hit hard and there will be less money around for discretionary spending.. Nev .

• Like 1

There will be jobs but as of the last aviation crises in Australia (pilot strike/Ansett collapse) there will be lots of competition for limited jobs. I would imagine the same as last time wages will be considerably less than before things stopped.

Lots of pilots vying for limited jobs, just what predatory companies like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aviation isn't alone in having a bleak future for all levels of qualified people. Think: the massive numbers of tertiary qualified people contesting a shrinking market for many professions, not limited to law, economics, commerce, arts, and teaching. Of course, if you are in medical science, or pharmacy, things are looking reasonable. Notwithstanding this, there are likely to be thousands of essentially overqualified people on the CenterLink queue. Yet the universities are crying poor because they have lost most of their Chinese students, who pay higher fees than do Aussie citizens. Talk about supply & demand.

Not many times that being older and retired is beneficial, but this is certainly one of those times!

Too right, Derek. I miss my job, but I do enjoy the freedom to concentrate on the tasks I most enjoy.

In these uncertain times I fear a growing backlash against the Boomer generation, especially those of us who were able to provide for our retirement.

• Like 1

Not many times that being older and retired is beneficial, but this is certainly one of those times!

So true that statement! I saw the writing on the wall with the Airlines a couple of years ago (CV just nailed the coffin lid closed for good!) and retired early, feel for those in their 40-50's though?

Commercial pilots have always been out of work!!! They also work for next to nothing ~~~ However there may be a few more ATPL's out of work soon!!!

• Like 1

Commercial pilots have always been out of work!!! They also work for next to nothing ~~~ However there may be a few more ATPL's out of work soon!!!

Not all commercial pilots work for nothing. There are some sectors of GA that still have employment.

• Like 1