Kopilot lite autopilot system.

This is advertised by banggood for about $65. I wondered if it could be used on a Jabiru. Yes I am a cheapskate and would like an autopilot as long as the price is under $100 and the weight under 200 grams.

Good point Flight, the setup would need a disconnect which was quick and easy, just to avoid that. Or it would just work on the trims like downunder shows.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks

Good point Flight, the setup would need a disconnect which was quick and easy, just to avoid that. Or it would just work on the trims like downunder shows.

I had a stabilator trim tab jam pretty much full up giving me full down effect on a PA32, was bloody hard keeping the plane level!

I think the auto pilot in a 172 just works on the trim for pitch, it is only a small tab just like the hummels but it is very powerful

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-105/

I think the auto pilot in a 172 just works on the trim for pitch, it is only a small tab just like the hummels but it is very powerful

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-105/

The problem is, you can't overcome the autopilot in pitch - it will just keep trimming against you, which is what happened in this case. In roll, yes, you can overcome it.

• Agree 1

This is advertised by banggood for about $65. I wondered if it could be used on a Jabiru. Yes I am a cheapskate and would like an autopilot as long as the price is under $100 and the weight under 200 grams.

You're not seriously considering installing this in a manned aircraft are you Bruce? These flight stabilisers are designed for model aircraft and UAVs, only. "Autopilot" means something completely different in the model aircraft/UAV application than in the manned aviation practice. A 'proper' (manned aircraft) autopilot maintains course, altitude and heading. The ZOHD Kopilot is a simple stabiliser, it keeps the aircraft level or returns it to level flight when the sticks are released. It also has a "return-to-home" function which is in no way useful to a full-size pilot, especially as the rth altitude is set at 70m.

Yep Boots, all I wanted was to be able to forget keeping the plane on track while I did something else on a flight, like play with my Ozrunways. I guess that is not really autopilot in the proper sense of the word... I guess those proper autopilots can operate IFR, and I have no intention of flying on anything except nice days. A nice day is clear and sunny and what wind there is is on the tail.

I reckon heavy -grade model plane servos would be enough to do the small corrections needed for this, maybe with added small trim-tabs connected to the servos. And the receiver would be replaced with a servo-driver.

I agree 70m is too low so I wouldn't use the return home function. But I'm going cold on the whole idea anyway on account of how it adds complexity.

Model plane stuff is pretty good these days, I have been using a model plane ( LiFePO4) battery for starting for years now. Not to mention the boaties GPS which has been there for 4 years now. This GPS was $70 compared with thousands for an aviation GPS at the time. Neither of these items makes the slightest reduction to reliability or safety, on the contrary, the battery is a lot lighter which is a positive safety thing.

Don't forget that the Jabiru uses lots of auto stuff, for example the hoses are held on with simple hose clamps, and the ignition system is quite auto, at a saving of many thousands of dollars. There is no reduction of reliability that I have noticed in 20 years.

• Like 1

I had a Trio autopilot in my J200. The basic version just worked the stick to jeep the wings level. It would do aileron-only turns OK. It would maintain a track with a crosswind by dipping the upwind wing a little bit every so often. It was easy to override. It had a "rate 1 180 degree turn" function for when you flew accidentally into cloud. Quite fun ...Altitude hold was an extra and also worked the stick the same way.

TruTrak developed exactly the same thing and it worked a treat but they had issues having to have STC to mount on every single type of aircraft so have now canned it but it wasnt because of any system issue just paperwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4l0MrVaI0M:65