Show us your Hangar

A hanger for the RV6A is underway. Might even paint the floor in this one.

[ATTACH=full]54672[/ATTACH]

Hope yr Vans is 4x4 capable!? Be very careful Thruster, I've seen a few A's on their lids!

Hope yr Vans is 4x4 capable!? Be very careful Thruster, I've seen a few A's on their lids!

Thankyou for the reminder Flightrite, I am operating from the big strip in town whilst getting familiar with the RV. Finding it to be an obedient and pleasant aircraft to fly and land. A good many Thrusters have had their U/C bent and busted and some end upside down, is it a fault with the aircraft, perhaps not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:39 PM, ClintonB said:

You have a raaus orange glider tucked away also I notice.

Yes, started out with RC models and like simple things. I see you and I have aircraft from 1963. I love mine more as each year goes by.

• Like 4

Models started costing me too much from prangs, it was cheaper to go and fly a thruster with Eugene back in Tassie in the end. I still have a heap of models and all my old magazines AUF and airbourne ( my wife calls me a hoarder).

I want to teach my kids to fly them, if they can get of the computer long enough.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Hey Jack; shouldn’t that wooden prop be horizontal?

Errrrr......dunno?  Not sure , that Sweetapple prop was redone, varnished and balanced.  Nothing was said by the Aeropup man who did the aircraft?

3 minutes ago, jackc said:

Errrrr......dunno?  Not sure , that Sweetapple prop was redone, varnished and balanced.  Nothing was said by the Aeropup man who did the aircraft?

There is an old wives tale that says the water in the wood will drain down to the bottom and unbalance the prop if it is not left level. Not sure why it doesn't just come out the tips whilst flying, the blades would be pulling a high number of G.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

There is an old wives tale that says the water in the wood will drain down to the bottom and unbalance the prop if it is not left level. Not sure why it doesn't just come out the tips whilst flying, the blades would be pulling a high number of G.

I will turn the prop 180 degrees for a couple of weeks then set it horizontal, that should fix it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

It oils in the wood (not water) that will apparently drain (due to gravity) to the lower end of the prop if it's left vertical for a long time. But, like Thruster88 says, surely the very high G's experienced by the spinning prop would very quickly throw out the oils etc. Too much to learn, so little time...

• Like 1

In the early days of the pandemic I had plenty of spare time and 10 litres of white paint so I painted the internal framework of my hangar to smarten it up a bit. Worked out OK.20200619_105127.thumb.jpg.4854beb489dcda44ddb73ecb3155f2b3.jpg

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

On 09/02/2021 at 10:23 PM, kgwilson said:

In the early days of the pandemic I had plenty of spare time and 10 litres of white paint so I painted the internal framework of my hangar to smarten it up a bit. Worked out OK.20200619_105127.thumb.jpg.4854beb489dcda44ddb73ecb3155f2b3.jpgive 

I've purchased 2 X 250mm C purlins X 10 Metres to accomplish what you have there in those simple  trusses and the 2 uprights either side of wing. Maybe the low labour input of my C purlins will balance this. I just stick them up and weld then cut out the middle support...500 dollars worth and I have to get them to french island....If I'd  seen this I'd have been tempted to do similar. I'll stick pictures up as I get my workshop conversion to hangar sorted.

The centre bit on the concrete was all that was left when I pulled the rest of this original T hangar down & made it full size, now with a 12.5 metre width and 7 metre depth. The steel from the original wing boxes was used for the external frame & C section purlins (unpainted) for the roof. Total cost was dilapidated T hangar 4K, purlins & house lot of hail dented colorbond, concrete footings, nuts, bolts, roof screws & welding rod, 1.5K so a complete hangar for 5.5K.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve gone from hangar greenhouse style to realization I have a huge shed and can drop out an upright with added double C purlin 250mm x 2.5mm. Easy job with extended tracks and same sheets used to make second slide door. 20 hours and 700 dollars. Have 10mm sag and will Jack up 20mm and add 20mm tensioned rods angling up and to each side. I’ll bet it unjacks to perfect. Unjack  must be a word. I just used it.

wife doing her first ever weld in pic. I was surprised as it was okay.

May polyurethane floor and line an area of 15m x 8m and buy a rans 21. Rans is 4 hours drive from my USA home and can partially build there and bring in if as a maybe long term plan. 

1A7DB69B-572D-4779-B90B-7843EA90A21E.jpeg

D4198AFE-4B0A-471C-A997-4FA085E032EC.jpeg

876C74D8-E667-4C69-AE30-28EC150043AE.jpeg

Edited by Mike Gearon
Spell check tried to correct unjack to ijack
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

wife doing her first ever weld in pic. I was surprised as it was okay... 

Mike an intellectual type I once knew surprised me with his impressive welding skills. He said his mum had taught him.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1