Show us your Hangar

Beams... I chose 250x 2.5mm C purlins instead of a big expensive H beam mainly because I could hand load these on barge to island. Knew they would sag at least a bit. Some 25mm with door weight as fact.

Tom the French island barge driver is a former professional welder. He suggested I Jack the center and stitch weld every 300mm underneath and it would work like a tray truck tray with upward tension. Damned if it didn’t end up millimeter perfect. Pic 2 is string line edge. 

FCF9433F-1EB4-4BAE-A760-E3C052656D83.jpeg

72FE3027-179C-4E2A-834F-2D475EC3697D.jpeg

62FCF7CD-B5BA-44FE-A1FB-A59C3EF201FA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

I have converted a hangar to live in, this is our kitchen window, B17 bomber coming in created in stained glass/leadlight over 7 panels. Captures the afternoon sun. 

Windows.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• 1 year later...

Well, having moved, my hangar at Gawler was sold and a new one at Edenhope built.

The new hangar only had to be 10m wide to accommodate the Lancair, but the shed guys said we could have a 12m wide one cheaper! On account of being a standard size.

Bugger I can no longer claim that everybody has a bigger one than me.

The pic is NOT the edenhope airfield one but one I built at the farm. It was 9m wide and 7.5m deep so it really was smaller than the  Gawler one. Nowadays that hangar is so full of tools and bikes and buggies that there is no room for a Jabiru anyway.

IMG_1165 (2).JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok been a while since I updated this. After months of delay and other chores prioritised,  I have thrown up a back wall to my hangar. This keeps the morning sun off, and driving rain out  in the monsoon.

Used some steel members I had lying around the place and sheeting collected from the Darwin Tip shop.

So far, everything you see has been built for about $8000.

The Boy  (our German Shepherd) loves the hangar and serves as airstrip Guardian and wildlife chaser.

Alan 20221009_175829.thumb.jpg.911f4049569b33f6827f6b55cc1586fc.jpg

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 8

I bet he's proud of having the biggest kennel in the region!

Those Dome Shelters are quite popular amongst the mining people, but there are big variations in the build quality of the frame, and the durability of the covering material, depending on who the supplier is. A lot are built to a price, not for durability.

There are some highly durable covering materials out there, and it pays to check out the units that have been erected for a while to see how the fabric is travelling as regards destruction by strong sunlight.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 2

Leaving planes in the open does them no good at all. You can also get damage caused by other hangar users who are careless called ' Hangar rash." when they move their plane near yours  and contact it.  Nev

• Agree 1

Make sure it's designed to have one end blanked off if you fully sheet the end. If the airflow is blocked a strong gust of wind in a storm could easily lift it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Leaving planes in the open does them no good at all.

A bit of thread drift, but I watched an episode of Air Crash Investigation the other night which reported on the US$2B crash of a B2 on Guam. One of the contributing factors was that the aircraft had been left out overnight in the rain, which caused moisture in one of the sensors which controlled the copmuterised flight system. Control surfaces on the B2 are activated by computer. The cockpit control movements tell the computer what action the crew wants, and the computer processes those instructions together with a range of sensor inputs to determine what control surface movements were required. The sensors were recalibrated correctly before the flight, but the crew were unaware of moisture in the sensor. As the aircraft was starting up and taxying, the sensors were heated to prevent icing. This heating dried out the moisture decalibrating the sensor, so the computer assumed the plane was in a 4 deg nose down attitude immediately after lift-off, and it kept pulling back on the elevator. The plane assumed a nose high attitude and despite the combined efforts of the crew to lower the nose, the computer increased the pitch of the nose. Eventually, the wing stalled, the plane rolled left and descended, digging the left wingtip into the ground beside the runway. The crew of two did not eject until the wing had touched the ground as observed in video footage of the attempted take-off, but survived the crash. The plane as destroyed. At the planes home base at Ellis Airforce Base, the aircraft are always hangered overnight, so the problem was not envisaged.

• Informative 1

They do also have to  fly  in any and all weathers. One sensor should not be able to cause a plane to crash. Auto lands use more than one autopilot for instance. There should be some redundancy. (back up). Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There were 6 sensors, only one of which was out of calibration. A master warning light came on for a few seconds during the take-off roll, then went off again by itself, so the captain elected to continue the take-off.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

I bet he's proud of having the biggest kennel in the region!

Those Dome Shelters are quite popular amongst the mining people, but there are big variations in the build quality of the frame, and the durability of the covering material, depending on who the supplier is. A lot are built to a price, not for durability.

There are some highly durable covering materials out there, and it pays to check out the units that have been erected for a while to see how the fabric is travelling as regards destruction by strong sunlight.

Yes that is a solid point onetrack.

Our shelter was definitely at the cheap end of the scale and our expectations about its durability are realistic.

However a replacement cover is only $2000  and just takes a day to throw over and tension. 

We couldn't have thrown up a  steel shelter of comparable size for less than  $20,000. So we get five cover replacements for the price.... That will keep my aircraft sheltered longer than I am likely to be flying...

Another factor is that we erect all our infrastructure ourselves because of the cost of bringing in trades.

These arched tension structures are really easy to build to get a 12m span and can be thrown up by just two people and a dog. 

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Make sure it's designed to have one end blanked off if you fully sheet the end. If the airflow is blocked a strong gust of wind in a storm could easily lift it. 

That’s a good point which is why I’m not fully closing the back wall and leaving the door open. Just some hessian  material for shade which comes down in winds.

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 1

I have suffered many months in ‘Hangar hell’. getting prices that were astronomical from kit shed places with delays and astronomical prices to put it up.

A couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and decided to build my own from the ground up.  Now a week to go and a large load of steel will be delivered and will start to build the trusses and all the bits, setting up in my big shed for the build, welders, cutoff saw, plasma cutter, mag base drill, and all the other goodies needed.  I have machinery to put up the frames, trusses, purlins etc, but will get someone to screw the roof on. I am too old to do that 🙂

This whole thing is engineered by myself, being totally unqualified and put up in the middle of the bush 🙂 

• Winner 1

12 hours ago, jackc said:

I have suffered many months in ‘Hangar hell’. getting prices that were astronomical from kit shed places with delays and astronomical prices to put it up.

A couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and decided to build my own from the ground up.  Now a week to go and a large load of steel will be delivered and will start to build the trusses and all the bits, setting up in my big shed for the build, welders, cutoff saw, plasma cutter, mag base drill, and all the other goodies needed.  I have machinery to put up the frames, trusses, purlins etc, but will get someone to screw the roof on. I am too old to do that 🙂

This whole thing is engineered by myself, being totally unqualified and put up in the middle of the bush 🙂 

Hiya Jack 

Really interested in your experiment there. We initially planned to do the same thing (we build everything else at our place ourselves) but to be honest the 12m span defeated us, both in terms of design and our ability with equipment available to build and raise it.

As I said above, I costed a steel shed /hangar  at very significantly higher than the tension membrane dome we ultimately went with. So I'm really interested to see how you go. 

Very best of luck mate. I'm sure it'll be a great hangar! 

Alan 

4 minutes ago, NT5224 said:

Hiya Jack 

Really interested in your experiment there. We initially planned to do the same thing (we build everything else at our place ourselves) but to be honest the 12m span defeated us, both in terms of design and our ability with equipment available to build and raise it.

As I said above, I costed a steel shed /hangar  at very significantly higher than the tension membrane dome we ultimately went with. So I'm really interested to see how you go. 

Very best of luck mate. I'm sure it'll be a great hangar! 

Alan 

Maybe I should do a build thread, I am engineering it all, based on some I have seen. Actually have 2 to build for separate locations, one in a cyclone area.

Jack, you need to check up on the building laws for Qld. You are fortunate in that you can build a Class 10 structure on agricultural land in rural locations without a building approval or engineering assessment. However, I understand that constructing a Class 10 building, even on rural agricultural land in Qld, requires engineering assessment in Wind Region C.

There's also the little matter of insurance for said buildings if you cannot produce engineering assessment reports, showing that they have been engineered to meet the expected weather conditions.

Even though Class 10 buildings have relaxed requirements due to not being approved for habitation - if one of your "home-build" structures fails, and falls on someone under it, and the collapse results in a fatality, you may be dragged into a lawsuit.

Onetrack, I take on board what you say but the only thing it can fall on is any of our Wallabies around the place, IF that happens we will butcher it and eat it!   Insurance?  It won’t blow down the way I will build it, I spoke with an engineer and he simply dribbled on and on and what it would cost…….

I just lost interest 🙂  Everything I have designed here has always worked with no trouble, In this case the steel supplier gave me a catalogue with all the specs for the material I am using so I am guided by that. I had a shed built here by a kit shed builder…….pulled him up because he short cutted, shed leaked like a sieve…..he did not care, got an inspection done on it, report documented problems.  Went to the builder with it, he basically said a shed is not  guaranteed waterproof and to get lost.  I said I am off to my Solicitor……he changed his tune, cost him $5000 for a roofer to make good.  So it’s DIY for me these days 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1