Show us your Hangar

If you do as jackc suggests and copy a commercial design, making sure that if it is in a cyclonic area then you copy a similar one, then you should be safe.

I hope you don't come across an insane buildings inspector like we used to have down here. He is famous for rejecting square footings, even though they were heavier than the round ones on the plan.

Regarding the dome-type of building, it was good advice to work out the potential uplift from wind and to make sure it doesn't lift on you.

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

If you do as jackc suggests and copy a commercial design, making sure that if it is in a cyclonic area then you copy a similar one, then you should be safe.

I hope you don't come across an insane buildings inspector like we used to have down here. He is famous for rejecting square footings, even though they were heavier than the round ones on the plan.

Regarding the dome-type of building, it was good advice to work out the potential uplift from wind and to make sure it doesn't lift on you.

Thanks Bruce.

Good advice.

Fortunately ( or unfortunately!) my Father in Law is a German  old school  structural engineer who checks engineering  designs for a living.  Nothing is ever quite precise enough! So the  potential uplift of our dome structure was carefully calculated before we hoisted it, and I ended up doubling the weight of concrete holding it down.

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 14/07/2020 at 3:05 PM, Thruster88 said:

A hanger for the RV6A is underway. Might even paint the floor in this one.

Resized_20200714_164129_6148.thumb.jpg.2d9ffb9c95184e9a1b169af05b5d272b.jpg

nice  i need more space that looks great 

• Agree 1

On 15/10/2022 at 9:44 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Here's the big new Jab in the big new hangar. I like the engine, but it sure is an orphan these days. If anything, it runs too cool and I can't figure out why.

IMG_1073.JPG

Bruce, I see that you still own the SK.

Ken

Sort of Ken. That was sharp of you to see the tail of the old sk. The hangar has the old sk, the newer 230 and the son's lancair in it and is the only hangar on the field so far. The Jabiru has been sold to a guy in Qld who is having trouble finding instruction where he lives. I reckon there is so much bureaucratic nonsense around instructing that it is not an attractive occupation at present... maybe others could enlighten me here

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Sort of Ken. That was sharp of you to see the tail of the old sk. The hangar has the old sk, the newer 230 and the son's lancair in it and is the only hangar on the field so far. The Jabiru has been sold to a guy in Qld who is having trouble finding instruction where he lives. I reckon there is so much bureaucratic nonsense around instructing that it is not an attractive occupation at present... maybe others could enlighten me here

You're actually living out in the Country now, where no services match what you get in the cities.  For decades there was one instructor, so from Edenhope you had the choice of Naracoorte, 50 km away where the instructor flew in about one day a month from his base in Nhill (108 km away) to teach a group, unless you went to Mount Gambier (95 km away).

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Probably difficult, as I am about to find out with an Instructor even.  It has been done in the days before YouTube with simple aircraft but no one would admit to it 🙂 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 10:14 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Here's the big new Jab in the big new hangar. I like the engine, but it sure is an orphan these days. If anything, it runs too cool and I can't figure out why.

IMG_1073.JPG

Perhaps bigger main jets?

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

The Jabiru has been sold to a guy in Qld who is having trouble finding instruction where he lives. 

Find a top instructor who does flying and theory. Stay in a local motel for 3 weeks and do the whole Pilot Certificate. This. Has the disadvantage that most likely he’ll only fly in the one weather type and be caught out  by crosswinds, wind shear, storms etc. but they can be addressed when he has the aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Really enjoying the thread and seeing the different approaches being used.

Would it be possible for those who've built or had hangars built to give the dimensions, floor type and costs. (probably the approximate year as well)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Really enjoying the thread and seeing the different approaches being used.

Would it be possible for those who've built or had hangars built to give the dimensions, floor type and costs. (probably the approximate year as well)

Mine was built 5-10 years ago and is 12m x 12m.

I think it cost about $7-10,000 in materials with 2nd hand iron used on walls. We used what we call crusher dust (I think crushed granite is similar) mixed with cement powder, watered, then rolled. It sets like concrete at a fraction of the cost. We were having a tennis court built at the same time so the guy who did the earthworks etc used his gear to get the floor beautifully level for me. I'm sure the crusher dust was less than $20/cu mt and I think i used 20-25 cubes, 24 bags of cement, my time and the hire of a small roller.

I opted to build bi-fold doors which were a little tricky to get exactly square but it did away with the need for outrigger framework for sliding doors, sorry I don't have a picture of them.

I can comfortably fit the Thruster and Jabiru in it along with the thruster trailer and a fridge in the corner for storage. Plan was for it to be big enough for Thruster and GA sized plane. It will be tight but i think it will work.

IMG_9194.jpeg

IMG_9195.jpeg

IMG_7948.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

They are called LSB (light steel beams), unfortunately no longer built here in Aus. The machine that built them and patent was sold to the US I believe. No need for bracing due to the depth of the beams and the wall iron provides strength as well, although I could have braced between the wall purlins (lazy). 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

It's easy to get training in a jabiru.  Thrusters are very difficult to get instructors.down here anyway.  

I rang you about the sk Bruce. Just after the other bloke bought it. Nice aircraft.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I  would  think Thrusters 2 seat are rarely on line. I think it was 1986 when the training one came out and i first flew one in front of  a large audience at a Mangalore Airshow. I would have preferred to have done it less Publicly.  Nev