The app

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Privacy alert !! I received a text today on my smart tablet from the gov with info about the app. No body has the number except a few scammers. No such text on my smart phone which has the app installed. There watching us.?

• Like 1

Thruster all networks are putting out that message as a network issued message from the govt..that is why you got it.. I get them on the telstra network long before I ever installed the app. No different to a sunami warning

You wouldnt believe it just about 2 mins after writing the above post..this just came through on my mobile SMS...AND I have the app installed

Coronavirus Aus Gov msg: Help us to keep you safe and ease restrictions by downloading the COVIDSafe app now: aus.gov.au/app

Privacy alert !! I received a text today on my smart tablet from the gov with info about the app. No body has the number except a few scammers. No such text on my smart phone which has the app installed. There watching us.?

I'd suggest those messages are going to every single phone number, because they are still asking you to download the app after you've had conformation it's been downloaded.

There has been provision for about a decade for emergency messages to be sent in geographic blocks in the case of a flood or other emergency requiring fast warning.

• Like 1

Just recieved my 'warning or else' tyranny message! Their coming?

I have to reply on Dazza's behalf.... THEY'RE

AAAnnnndddd, as if we needed any more examples of how blatantly some people in positions of authority are prepared to infringe on the privacy of others, Victoria Police has suspended one of their Senior Constables for sharing photos of Dean Laidley, the AFL coach while being questioned after his arrest, inside the interview room.

Talk about an egregious breach of privacy, and their own policies. "But we're the Government, you can trust us....."

• Like 2

They've taken appropriate action against a serving policeman in record time. How do you blame the government for that? The police are NOT the government. Nev.

They are the government's enforcers, making them an extension of government.

• Like 1

Not in this country. If that were proven there would be a serious problem constitutionally. The Gov't passes legislation which is LAW. The police enforce the Law supposedly independent of the government. We can vote the government out (at the moment). . We don't vote for the police and when we change a government we don't change the police. . Nev

• Like 1

They've taken appropriate action against a serving policeman in record time. How do you blame the government for that? The police are NOT the government. Nev.
I don't blame the Government for this cop's actions. Not at all. I merely use it as an example, as stated by Jerry_Attrick, that you will always have people who break the rules. Here we have a serving police officer who thought it would be a good idea to violate someone's privacy against who knows how many internal policies or rules the Police have specifically against such an act. He'll likely be kicked off the force and will almost certainly be charged and convicted of a criminal offence as a result of his actions. Hell, even the Deputy Commissioner has been forced to apologise to the bloke they arrested for what he himself called "totally appalling" conduct...

If a Police officer is so happy to break the rules on a whim, particularly as regarding privacy, it only serves to further reinforce my belief those in positions of authority cannot be trusted to manage my privacy.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

If a Police officer is so happy to break the rules on a whim, particularly as regarding privacy, it only serves to further reinforce my belief those in positions of authority cannot be trusted to manage my privacy

Exactly....These people want special rules and punishments if they are assaulted in any way, so these people must be squeaky clean and beyond reproach and if they are found not to be then they should be immediately dismissed as unworthy of that position, but that doesn't happen.

I agree.. But in the case of the App, what is the risk.. someone could get who you are and where you have been and maybe if you have the virus (though I doubt the latter).. Unless it gets access to your account payment details (whcih I don't think it can), what is the worst that could happen and what is the probability it could happen? This has to be weghed up against the good it can do.

I would imagine your energy company, ATO, state vehigle registration, all necessary institutions we have our details with - and probably far more sensitive (unless you have something to hide), and there is every change that your details get leaked from there, too.. Same with yur mobile phone operator. You don't have a choice with these - you have to have to have an energy supplier (unless you are totally off grid) and they could also have a bad apple in them.

I am not trying to say one outweighs the other.. All I am saying is that this is not the only place where you have to give info that could be leaked as we saw today. You make a risk assessment and make a decision.

I can't wait for the Russian hackers to break into the app and render it nearly useless. Because for every website and app every produced, there are hundreds of IT scammers and criminals and low-lifes, seeking an easy way to scam people.

I am registered with a major Auction House, who were hacked and scammed. The hackers wanted $30M out of this Global Auction House, to regain access to their website.

They didn't get it, of course, but the hackers destroyed the Auction Houses website, and they had to rebuild it from scratch.

But the Auction House went to great pains to tell all us registered buyers, that "our personal details were not hacked, they were secure and safe". What a crock of absolute SXXX!!!

Ever since that Auction House was hacked, I have been receiving at least 50 scam emails a day - whilst previous to that, I was lucky to get a one a month.

I have Mailwasher installed, and spot their sleazy attempts, and "bounce" their scam emails back to them - which only makes them send me twice as many emails!!

Obviously, some thick dropkick with an IQ of about 25, in some sewer of a 3rd world country, is being paid by the hackers to continually try and get through my email defences.

• Like 1

Onetrack, is this app really and honestly riskier than any other app you use? Do you use internet banking? If you are worried about hacking then why even carry a phone? There are clear benefits in terms of contact tracing and early notification. The anxious folk have so far only provided vague scenarios about it being hacked or misused but have so far not acknowledge the benefits.This is an argument against all apps and indeed all of our internet use. I do not think the government should make it mandatory as some countries have but I fully support the right of any business owner to insist upon it for their workers. I know when I return to face to face work I will be required to have it. Not only will it be required of me, I want to have it anyway, anything that can tip the risk balance in my favour is worth it to me.

We know that with the easing of restrictions there will be a second wave. Isolation is a crude and extreme way of dealing with it. We live in a modern technological society where we have modern tools at our disposal. We need to do everything we can to get back to normal.

I acknowledge that we need to be vigilant but I believe that our concern must be rational and proportional.

• Like 2