The app

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reports you have to have the app running all the time otherwise it won't register proximity. In the bush the phone is searching all the time (because of not enough towers and low signal strength) for signal lowering battery life, another app running makes even less battery life.

Privacy issues are real but a lot of people have all sorts of rubbish like bookface/twater which is just a mine of information for the app providers. In the west of the state we have virtually no cases, if there was it might make more take up the app.

I downloaded it and have no issues. Unlike most apps it does not require access to your location, contacts, photos etc, just bluetooth. You must register it so that the Health people know your phone number but you can use a pseudonym or different name if you choose. You do not have to be in mobile phone coverage just close enough to another person who has the app & bluetooth is on. It doesn't work on early versions of Android or IOS.

I have WiFi & Bluetooth on all the time so I am automatically connected to my trusted devices wherever I go & my phone battery lasts 2 to 3 days. I have it set to go to sleep at night with "Do Not Disturb" on from 21:00 to 07:00 though so that saves a lot of power and battery saver on during the day means most apps run in the background. If I turn everything off except the phone function my battery will last at least 2 weeks on standby.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

From reports you have to have the app running all the time otherwise it won't register proximity. In the bush the phone is searching all the time (because of not enough towers and low signal strength) for signal lowering battery life, another app running makes even less battery life.

Privacy issues are real but a lot of people have all sorts of rubbish like bookface/twater which is just a mine of information for the app providers. In the west of the state we have virtually no cases, if there was it might make more take up the app.

Hopefully it's only temporary, so not a long term battery issue. the app will only activate BlueTooth when it pairs with someone in close proximity, which will only be when you go into town and stand next to someone or the Shell tanker guy arrives and you offer him morning tea, or the Elders guy shows up and wants you to sign something etc. it only activates when you've contacted an infected person.

While the west of the State is quiet, you can't see the asymptomatic cases, which could be a nurse coming home to Penshurst exhausted after a month's emergency work. Also SA had a scare a month ago when a single group of tourists infected Mount Gamber, Tantanoola, Penola Coonawarra and Bordertown. Fortunately all those people survived hospital and the South East seems clear.

You can't see asymptomatic; one nurse had worked several shifts in a nursing home asymptomatic, and 12 people have died so far with potentially more to come. The Covidsafe app, if available and downloaded at the time may have triggered before any of the inmates were infected.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Personel choice, I don't trust the Govt so pass!

But the NSA in USA and to some extent google know exactly where you are and who you are talking to - So whats the diffrence

• Agree 1

Like I said guys personel choice, twist it how you like to suit your agenda! Oh by the way I'm not the only one who won't sgn up to it cause it's voluntary and neither will millions of others, funny about that!

• Like 2

What to do if you don't have mobile phone coverage:

Which is most of rural Australia, unreliable coverage at best. We used to have full signal and had no trouble 2 years ago, now intermittent when it's there. Complained, they said we are in a black spot. How can that change? The loss of signal coincided with putting NBN through the district, the signal went from then. Are they reducing transmission power?

Privatizing telecommunications has made it worse for rural dwellers, Telstra now couldn't give a sh!t and Optus don't want to go where there is no population.

We are unucky our local member is in Federal Guvmint, it's such a safe seat they just don't do anything unless your a private or religious school then they can give you all the dollars and help you need.

Edited by Student Pilot
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

I have downloaded it because I think ultimately it will contribute to us being able to get back to some kind of normality. In a personal sense if I end up being less than 1.5 meters away from someone who is infected I for more than 15 minutes I would like to know about it. I would also like to know that I could play a part in allowing someone who had been near me being informed if I turned out to be infected.

Just about everything we do comes with costs and benefits and personally I believe the benefit outweighs the cost.

I am certainly open to a well constructed factual argument about the possible negative outcomes to using the app but "I don't trust the government" is a bit vague and non specific. We provide much more detailed data every day whether it be using the internet or buying prescription medications or even just carrying our mobile phone around with us

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Which is most of rural Australia.

My understanding is that it does not require mobile phone coverage. It works by bluetooth and detects another phone that also has the app. If these 2 phones are within 1.5 meters for more then 15 minutes this is recorded on both phones. If I get infected then I am asked if I will allow the data to be accessed but I beleive it is no mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My original point was phones are constantly searching for signal (Sparse coverage) lowering battery life, an app all the time on in the background would further degrade battery life.

I agree that most people on social media are giving away all their private info anyway. I hope to be going to the Northern Hemisphere for work early next week so no point me downloading the app.

The telco's know where you are all the time. That's how they knew where Borce Ristevski went the day his wife was murdered. You are constantly tracked. The only way to throw them off the track is to leave your phone at home.

My phone is bluetooth and wifi capable but I don't have either turned on. I don't run any apps. My credit and EFTPOS cards are old and don't have IC chips in them so I don't use tap and go. I'm very old fashioned.

At least while the men's shed is suspended I don't spend 15 minutes near anyone outside this house, let alone within 1.5 metres.

As I emailed a friend yesterday, I've been in quarantine for a few years. No restaurants, pubs, cinemas, concerts, sporting events. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

... If these 2 phones are within 1.5 meters for more then 15 minutes this is recorded on both phones...

That bit amazed me: it would surprise me if getting infected required you to inhale an infected person's breath for that long.

Edited by Old Koreelah
  • Agree 1

That bit amazed me: it would surprise me if getting infected required you to inhale in an infected person's breath for that long.

I think it comes down to the fact that it is unlikely to be infected by one individual virus. I read that statistically it is rare but not impossible to be infected in short interaction. I guess it could also be possible for a sneeze to travel more than 1.5 metres. I think it all comes down to probabilities.

I think it comes down to the fact that it is unlikely to be infected by one individual virus...

There's still so much we don't know about it. When returning from rescue callouts recently I've done my best to decontaminate, but I bet I failed. It's not like cleaning up after dealing with chemical spills.

That tiny bit of toxic stuff that you missed won't multiply and take over your lungs.

" . I have it set to go to sleep at night with "Do Not Disturb" on from 21:00 to 07:00 though so that saves a lot of power and battery saver on during the day means most apps run in the background. If I turn everything off except the phone function my battery will last at least 2 weeks on standby. ".

I think instead of your phone sleeping , it is better for those " cold callers " overseas advertising chaps to know MY phone is OFF when not needed.

Bluetooth does take a little of battery life, as it's another program working & looking for a partner Bluetooth, to latch-on-to.

Surly, If you haven't activated "roaming/ GPS, & my position. IT can't follow you ?.

If No phone coverage, how do they contact you to say " you have been assessed as being too close for comfort".

spacesailor

I dont carry a phone. I leave it in the kitchen or in the car. Check messages when I get back. So there is no point downloading the app.

Edit - so what happens when you are driving and passing cars? Do they all register as bluetooth latches on?

Someone has to die so no problem

Turbo - given it was stated to be his opinion your reply in my opinion comes close to attacking the poster by implication rather than the topic.

• Like 1