Aircraft Maintenance Logbook Review Service

jackc

I use this form in RA.

The only difference I see between the RAA form and the VH- Maintenance Release is that the MR comes in a book with each form set numbered, and the book is kept. The RAA one can be printed on both sides of a sheet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bit more of a look and it’s tied to Breezylog, that appears to be a WEB interface? Must run cloud based? Now Breezylog wants $499 and that seems a setup fee? Then $22 per month? Went to it’s data registration page that came up in Spanish. With the information it needs, that data can also be used to set up the new AMLRS software. So, IF you already have Breezylog then most of your data can be imported across to AMLRS?

Being cloud based goes against all my principles of data execution and management. Third party data storage is the scourge of the earth. I will keep all my data backed up myself, thanks.

so, it looks like AMLRS or Breezylog are for not me.

I looked at Breezylog when I was at Avalon. I was interested in a decent computer based maintenance scheduling and recording system, but I want a standalone system that I own and I don't want cloud based storage. I have looked at several apps for machinery maintenance management but I can't seem to find anything that fits just right.

Surely there has to be something out there.

• Like 1

Go into the machinery maintenance apps and find what you like in them. Put the good points down on paper, then create something in Excel that will allow you to use the points you like.

• Like 1

Go into the machinery maintenance apps and find what you like in them. Put the good points down on paper, then create something in Excel that will allow you to use the points you like.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but not much.

I want something similar to the military system I'm used to using.

I want to be able to load serial numbers of my few maintenance managed items and have them tracked and alert me for both hours and date based maintenance. For example engine 5yr rubber replacements is date based, as are ASI and altimeter cal and 50 hrs for oil and filter changes. Extra items also come up for 100 hourly.

I want to be able to raise unserviceabilities and sign them off, and record daily inspections (or before flight servicings for the military term) as well as fuel and oil replenishments.

Most importantly , I want it to be standalone, no cloud based or subscription stuff.

• Like 1

I don't know how conversant you are with Excel, but it is possible to create what you want using that program. It can be set up to highlight time-based maintenance tasks etc. Just remember that the designs you have seen are often not much more that an Excel spreadsheet that has had pretty colours and unusual fonts used to make it appear appealing to the eye. I'm no whizz at using Excel, but if you made a list of what you wanted your system to do, then someone experienced with Excel could run up something useful for you in no time.

As for saving and restoring your data, all you need is a flash drive and to remember to back up the Excel data to the flash drive every time you add to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I hope everyone is well. Sorry - I posted this elsewhere as I didn't see this thread in my search.... My post was as follows....

So I get an email (as you all probably did) from RAA announcing an Aircraft Maintenance Logbook Review Service and thought, hmm... I have only owned the bird for 3 years, this might be a good idea to make sure my logs are up to date with what is needed. SBs etc etc. So I signed up, but maybe my expectations were somewhere else. 27 pages of links to everything from CASA regs, Rotax SBs, and stacks of other stuff. Lots of noise that I guess I now need to sift through to find bits that matter to me.

Anyone else uses this service?

PS - There is an encouragement to join up to Breezy Log, so would also be interested if anyone uses that too!

NOW..... My logbooks are pretty good. I have only owned the machine for 3 years, but everything appears in good order. The only thing is, looking for what SBs were done etc, you have to trawl through the entries looking for it! And yes... I don't travel with mine either. They are in the safe at home, and only come out when needed. I run the RAA Maintenance Release, but have a customised TTIS sheet that I use.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Hey all,

I hope everyone is well. Sorry - I posted this elsewhere as I didn't see this thread in my search.... My post was as follows....

So I get an email (as you all probably did) from RAA announcing an Aircraft Maintenance Logbook Review Service and thought, hmm... I have only owned the bird for 3 years, this might be a good idea to make sure my logs are up to date with what is needed. SBs etc etc. So I signed up, but maybe my expectations were somewhere else. 27 pages of links to everything from CASA regs, Rotax SBs, and stacks of other stuff. Lots of noise that I guess I now need to sift through to find bits that matter to me.

Anyone else uses this service?

PS - There is an encouragement to join up to Breezy Log, so would also be interested if anyone uses that too!

NOW..... My logbooks are pretty good. I have only owned the machine for 3 years, but everything appears in good order. The only thing is, looking for what SBs were done etc, you have to trawl through the entries looking for it! And yes... I don't travel with mine either. They are in the safe at home, and only come out when needed. I run the RAA Maintenance Release, but have a customised TTIS sheet that I use.

Cheers

J

Hi BirdDog

Are the Service Bulletins etc linked for the engine specific to your model and serial number or is just a link to all SBs from rotax ? Air frame?

On Fly Rotax there is an area where you can do a search on engine number for all SBs etc. Rotax Aircraft Engines - Technical Documentation - Rotax Aircaft Engines Some will already be incorporated in your engine, depending on when it was manufactured, but it gives a good list as a start, then it is easy to keep up to date by enrolling with R.O.A.N who will send you an email with a link to any further SBs Rotax-Owner.com - CB Registration. Registration is free if you only need the email updates.

The Breezy Log was demonstrated in one of the RAAus PDPs and seems to have been developed for a school or maintenance facility with up to 80 aircraft. It can call up all relevant SBs etc for the different types of Aircraft within the school or maintenance facility. Looks and works well for that type of outfit but for the one pilot with one aircraft I cannot see that it would be practical to use. You need specific information for your particular aircraft, both engine and airframe. If it is LSA then the Aircraft Manufacturer is responsible for letting you know the relevant SBs etc for your aircraft so I would not be paying someone else to do it.

• Informative 1

If you fly around in yr A/C with log books that are not up to date then you do so at yr own risk!

Are we meant to carry our log books with us? I always assumed not, so that some paperwork would be available after a prang, but a LAME who did my 50hr service castigated me for not having the logbook with me.

Are we meant to carry our log books with us? I always assumed not, so that some paperwork would be available after a prang, but a LAME who did my 50hr service castigated me for not having the logbook with me.

I never said log books are to be kept in the plane but they should be up to date and made available to a maint organisation whom is about to or had performed maint.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

CASA, the Law-Giver says this is what is to be carried. No mention of carrying log books. I assume that an RAAus aircraft is an Australian aircraft, and would be subject to this Regulation.

Documents to be carried CAR 139, CAR 233

An Australian aircraft shall, when flying in Australian airspace, carry:

• unless CASA otherwise approves, its maintenance release and any other document approved for use as an alternative to the maintenance release
  • unless CASA otherwise approves, the licences and medical certificates of the operating crew
  • the flight manual (if any) for the aircraft, alternatively AOC holders may carry the operations manual (see CAR 139(3)(a))
  • latest editions of aeronautical, information and instructions applicable for the route or any alternative route that may be flown that is published in the AIP, or a data service provider, or by an organisation approved by CASA and which are readily accessible to the flight crew
  • bills of lading and manifests with respect to any cargo.

I assume that an RAAus aircraft is an Australian aircraft

Australian aircraft are defined as those on the Australian Civil Aircraft Register - CASR 47.025 (ie with a VH prefix). The CASR's do not apply to RAAus aircraft (CASR 200.014) so RAAus aircraft are not by definition Australian aircraft.

• Like 1

Hi BirdDog

Are the Service Bulletins etc linked for the engine specific to your model and serial number or is just a link to all SBs from rotax ? Air frame?

Yeah, everything is linked. But so many pages it really didn't do much for me in the end. I am already a paid member of the ROTAX Community, and get their emails and I check too! There was a couple of things it picked up from Evektor (They are hopeless) and so I guess that was OK.

Did I need to use this service - probably not - BUT - if for nothing else, I now have a full list of stuff that relates to my machine, if and when the time comes to sell.

• Like 1

I wonder if aircraft operators will be randomly selected to submit their log books for audit, at their own cost. This may form part of the orgs SMS.

A few years ago the RAA sent out email requests to see log books. From memory, not many complied....

I now have a full list of stuff that relates to my machine

What you have is only what was issued up to the date you made your enquiries. You may still have to add new stuff to you list as time goes by. Keep reviewing.

• 2 weeks later...

The ATSB will always mention the maintenance records although they may have no bearing on the accident.

The "log book review service" as I understand it does not actually look at the log book, it is providing a list of all AD's, service bulletins and CAO 100.5 that need to be compiled with. Hopefully this is done for a specific aircraft serial number.

Hi Thruster88. Correct. The Template provided is specific for your Aircraft, Engine, Propeller and any other components you identify by their Serial Number. Correct again in that it is a list of all scheduled maintenance requirements for the aircraft and identified components. The template is to provide the owner with awareness of what is required in order to maintain their aircraft not only IAW the regulations but for improving safety. Many LSA manufacturers have less than useful websites and we contact them direct to obtain the required info for our customers.

• Like 1

Had a bit more of a look and it’s tied to Breezylog, that appears to be a WEB interface? Must run cloud based? Now Breezylog wants $499 and that seems a setup fee? Then $22 per month? Went to it’s data registration page that came up in Spanish. With the information it needs, that data can also be used to set up the new AMLRS software. So, IF you already have Breezylog then most of your data can be imported across to AMLRS?

Being cloud based goes against all my principles of data execution and management. Third party data storage is the scourge of the earth. I will keep all my data backed up myself, thanks.

Hi Jackc, thanks for alerting to the Spanish thing? Are you able to provide a link where this happens please. We have not looked at Europe yet :-) You are correct, the $499 for the Setup is a detailed review of your Aircraft, Engine, Propeller and any other identified equipment that may have ICAW (Instructions for continuing airworthiness) by their serial number (i.e. your aircraft). I understand your concern for 3rd party data, however it is currently the only way for the system to be used to allow maintainers and other pilots access the system to update flights and maintenance activities. I will discuss with the team regarding private accounts and storage.

• Like 1

It's a bit more complicated than that, but not much.

I want something similar to the military system I'm used to using.

I want to be able to load serial numbers of my few maintenance managed items and have them tracked and alert me for both hours and date based maintenance. For example engine 5yr rubber replacements is date based, as are ASI and altimeter cal and 50 hrs for oil and filter changes. Extra items also come up for 100 hourly.

I want to be able to raise unserviceabilities and sign them off, and record daily inspections (or before flight servicings for the military term) as well as fuel and oil replenishments.

Most importantly , I want it to be standalone, no cloud based or subscription stuff.

Hi M61A1. I am also ex-military and spend a few years in the Middle East helping the Oman Air Force move from a Cardex system to full digital. Breezylog contain a "Parts Store" where any component (even consumables) can be loaded and tracked. Their serviceability state can be controlled and you can update the overhaul or inspection action. Documents such as release notes and maintenance reports can be uploaded against the specific items. We even have an "Aircraft Assembly" function that will show you the current "Build" of the aircraft by ATA locations showing which component is fitted to the location by Part Number and Serial Number and what maintenance schedule it is attached to. BreezyLog will allow for tracking of ANY parameter, Flight time, Calendar, Landings, .... anything. You can make up your own. You can manage all Scheduled maintenance tasks and create Un-Scheduled maintenance tasks. You can create a Workscope and perform a final sign-off (similar to CASA Schedule 6 requirements) When utilizing BreezyLog on your phone or tablet to "Start" and "End" a flight, you will enter fuel and oil uplifts so you can comply with AD/ENG/4 if applicable. Entering fuel QTY at the start of the flight is mandatory but entering fuel qty at the end is optional. If you do enter both, you can easily record fuel and oil usage at a rate/hr. Again, like jackc, we will discuss in house about "Standalone". Please visit my.breezylog.com and log in to our testing account with [email protected] password Tryme007 Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions we would love to hear them.

On Fly Rotax there is an area where you can do a search on engine number for all SBs etc. Rotax Aircraft Engines - Technical Documentation - Rotax Aircaft Engines Some will already be incorporated in your engine, depending on when it was manufactured, but it gives a good list as a start, then it is easy to keep up to date by enrolling with R.O.A.N who will send you an email with a link to any further SBs Rotax-Owner.com - CB Registration. Registration is free if you only need the email updates.

The Breezy Log was demonstrated in one of the RAAus PDPs and seems to have been developed for a school or maintenance facility with up to 80 aircraft. It can call up all relevant SBs etc for the different types of Aircraft within the school or maintenance facility. Looks and works well for that type of outfit but for the one pilot with one aircraft I cannot see that it would be practical to use. You need specific information for your particular aircraft, both engine and airframe. If it is LSA then the Aircraft Manufacturer is responsible for letting you know the relevant SBs etc for your aircraft so I would not be paying someone else to do it.

Hi SLB. Breezylog is outstanding for flying schools and clubs. but it is also excellent for the private owner. Some extra benefits for the private owner is that you can track your BFR, Medical (if applicable), registration and insurance renewal date. At our flying school, we used to use Excel and it was comprehensive BUT every week, we had to add the hours, correct the errors and enter them into Excel. Now our pilots just use Breezylog on their phone or tablet, enter their flights and the aircraft records (including all components fitted to the aircraft) are updated. Maintenance forecasting is done. Airworthiness Directives are automatically updated every 24hrs from the CASA website and you are only notified if it affects your aircraft or equipment. No more getting bugged about A380 problems. We are working on SB alerts the same way BUT as you may be aware, whilst the Manufacturer is supposed to let you know, we have found that most LSA manufacturers or their agents dont even know who owns their aircraft in Australia. So how would they let you know. Some dont even publish SB's on their website. We are trying to fix this to make the information easy to find for owners and operators.

Hi M61A1. I am also ex-military and spend a few years in the Middle East helping the Oman Air Force move from a Cardex system to full digital. Breezylog contain a "Parts Store" where any component (even consumables) can be loaded and tracked. Their serviceability state can be controlled and you can update the overhaul or inspection action. Documents such as release notes and maintenance reports can be uploaded against the specific items. We even have an "Aircraft Assembly" function that will show you the current "Build" of the aircraft by ATA locations showing which component is fitted to the location by Part Number and Serial Number and what maintenance schedule it is attached to. BreezyLog will allow for tracking of ANY parameter, Flight time, Calendar, Landings, .... anything. You can make up your own. You can manage all Scheduled maintenance tasks and create Un-Scheduled maintenance tasks. You can create a Workscope and perform a final sign-off (similar to CASA Schedule 6 requirements) When utilizing BreezyLog on your phone or tablet to "Start" and "End" a flight, you will enter fuel and oil uplifts so you can comply with AD/ENG/4 if applicable. Entering fuel QTY at the start of the flight is mandatory but entering fuel qty at the end is optional. If you do enter both, you can easily record fuel and oil usage at a rate/hr. Again, like jackc, we will discuss in house about "Standalone". Please visit my.breezylog.com and log in to our testing account with [email protected] password Tryme007 Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions we would love to hear them.

I spoke to someone while at Avalon last year about Breezy. I did like the idea, but the standalone bit is important for me. I have to be able to "own " it.

Hmm we don't have a page in Spanish (as yet) so I don't know where you would have seen that!! Not in our system I think!

Anyway about the cloud....

These days much of our valuable data is being stored in the cloud and there are a number of people who may think that they object to the idea. On consideration they could be overlooking the main benefits. Let's think about this carefully and weigh up the pros and cons. Cloud based storage of data brings some huge benefits, one of which is being able to have constant access to your data anywhere you can get a half decent internet connection. For an online aircraft logbook if you were going to keep and maintain the data yourself then unless you feel like setting up your own private web server, well you probably can rule out being able to access your data remotely. That said, yes you could access your data by another means such as remote desktop. Doing things this way however is hardly likely to make usage convenient or cheap and it will be your problem when you can't get remote desktop access. It will also be your responsibility to back up your data and to keep it secure. Maybe, you think you could take all your data with you on your phone for instance, and you might think that's working out just fine that is until you loose or break your phone and find you have also lost all your valuable data.

Like it or not you are almost certain to already be using data stored in the cloud and in reading this post on the forum you are of course using the cloud right now. If you have a smartphone, for instance, or use any form of social media then you will be using the cloud for these as well. Let's not even mention your medicare and online banking. One concern that many have with cloud based data is that they worry about data security and while its true that social media accounts, card details held by airlines and many others, are all targets for hackers. For the most part such data breaches are rare and are more likely to affect users who don't pay much attention to their own security. Those who use the same password for everything and those that use easily guessed or short passwords are far more vulnerable. It's probably true that you should worry more about how your data might be used when it comes to services like social media, Alexa, and general web browsing but it's probably the nuisance of directed advertising which annoys us the most. Social media and similar accounts often get you to sign up to letting them do what the hell they like with your data. Private cloud accounts offering subscription services are usually in a completely different ballpark and have terms and conditions to leave you in far greater control of your own data. Of course, you should always read the terms and conditions before signing up for anything!

The question of who has access to my data and the answer to that, for a well-behaved and responsible cloud data provider, should be quite clear. The data is private, it belongs to you and nobody else should be able to access it except you and those you have granted permission to access. For an online aircraft logbook should the data provider dare to give access to your data to others, they would certainly be breaking the law if they did not seek your consent first. So in this particular case I don't think that the big brother is watching you argument really holds up as valid. The log book provider is absolutely not going to share access to your private data with an authority like RAAUS, CASA, EASA, FAA or anyone else at all. Perhaps there is perhaps one extreme exception and that's when the authorities get involved with a warrant to obtain your data. Now that's a pretty unlikely event unless you are not a law-abiding citizen of course.

Breezylog is an online aircraft logbook and yes it uses cloud based storage for your data so that you can access your data safely, securely and conveniently. Like any cloud data provider they take on the responsibility of keeping your data securely as a top priority. If you're still a semi-ludite then, for sure, you can keep your own records manually on paper, in excel or any other way you like and good luck with that as you are far more likely to overlook something important. If you want it all on paper, then that's no problem as breezy can print it all out for you at the click of a button.

It is a sad fact that manual aircraft record keeping is a tedious process which for many owners and maintainers lends itself well to human error and plain laziness. The result is that many paper logbooks if audited will be found to have errors and omissions, overlooked maintenance and incomplete record keeping. The results of this can of course be horrific in the more extreme cases. Maintenance is meant to be preventative, but say if a life limited component hadn't been replaced when it should then you could already be on borrowed time without even knowing it.

This is where an electronic logbook really comes into its own, it's a lot more than just simple record keeping and one of its main purposes is to provide you with a maintenance schedule for everything. Now you and your maintainer have a much clearer and concise picture and timetable of the tasks to be done and signed off. You can look at the schedule ahead and you can even save money by combining several tasks to be carried out at the same time. Should you leave a periodic inspection until overdue you will clearly see that your aircraft is effectively not flyable but you will notice long before that happens. You should automatically be made aware of any new airworthiness directives or service bulletins in order for you to review their applicability and take action when required.

If you care about your aircraft and own safety and would like to maintain your aircraft more efficiently and have scope for reducing your maintenance costs, then you should certainly consider Breezylog. You have noticed, of course, that it costs quite a lot to get onto the system to begin with! There is a very good reason for this and it's not about ripping you off or anything like that! So why does it cost me to get my aircraft onto the system in the first place? Well this is because it actually takes some highly skilled time and manpower to check through everything in your existing paper records, to set up the maintenance schedules, the applicable airworthiness directives, service bulletins, CAO100.5 and more. We have to make sure that all parts are recorded correctly effectively building a model of your aircarft assembly. It takes time and unfortunately we can't do it for free. We want to make sure that your logbooks are in good shape and this is what the setup fee is all about. For flying schools and larger organizations having personel with the right experience and skills we will consider letting you set up your own aircraft on the system but you must understand that it is no simple task and this is why we don't make all of the "admin" facilities available to ordinary users. If you're an aircraft owner, regardless of whether you think your existing records are in good shape, we can help you get on to the system, sort out any issues and help you and your maintainer service your aircraft correctly and efficiently, with a lot less time and effort. A well maintained aircraft with perfect records will attract a better price and be easier to sell when the time comes for that upgrade.

Then there is the ongoing monthly cost of $22 AUD (for a single engine craft) and for this you have to understand that while we want to keep your costs as low as possible we still need it to be commercially viable for us. Building and maintaining any large software system takes plenty of time and money and the monthly fee goes towards this. We firmly believe that we offer great value and that once you have tried BreezyLog you will never look back.